The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Final Collecting Score of 2021
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Commerce and Collections -> Final Collecting Score of 2021
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Final Collecting Score of 2021 Reply with quote

Ok. I am done actively pursuing items for the calendar year, having met my goals laid out at New Years. About a week ago, I received in the mail, a matched set of a "4-Up" tooling master and production size resin "squeezing". This would be a Hoth rebel sculpted at 4x the intended size (to capture details better), in wax. The wax was too fragile for tooling though so a rubber mold was made from the waxes and a handful of copies would be made in tougher casting mediums such as Dynacast or Carbalon. This one is green Dynacast. One a scaled down mold was made in steel, several resin copies would be "squeezed out" by hand, before sending the molds overseas for mass production of the figures in metal. The squeezings would be painted by hand and used for box art photography and such.

Some 4-ups were painted too, for approval from Lucasfilm and as a guide to the factories contracted out to paint the production figures. My painted 4-up is a resin fake of a different posed figure from the playset, which I painted myself.

https://imgur.com/aROMNS6

https://imgur.com/FWyQ869
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. I enjoy reading about the process of bringing these from concept to finished product.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
Very cool. I enjoy reading about the process of bringing these from concept to finished product.

Me too! It's been a fun process to learn about this stuff. Of course nowadays all that would be done digitally so these are sorta artifacts of a bygone era, even though they are quite young by collecting standards! I couldn't figure out how to collect real artifacts or fossils so I went with Star Wars artifacts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Commerce and Collections All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: