The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Farewell D6 Online
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gaming Groups -> Farewell D6 Online
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject: Farewell D6 Online Reply with quote

Magman wrote:
Coming to an end

By Magman
08/20/2021

After years of running the forum, I am making the decision to shut it down. Times have changed and interest certainly is waning over the D6 System. Traffic is non existent here with only a handful of post for the entire year. Other than reading threads from years past, there is no real reason the forum should or needs to be running anymore. I will continue to have the forums up for another month, but sadly, its time has come...

I first got online in 2002, the first time I had a home computer and internet. By 2005 I had made my way to the official West End Games forums. There are a handful of people from there I am still friends with to this day.

When the official WEG forums closed in 2008, "Game Guy," a personal friend of the then-WEG owner Eric Gibson, started the WEG Fan Forums, which Gibson "blessed" as the unofficial official legacy of the official WEG forums. Game Guy made me a moderator. In 2009 Game Guy wanted out so transferred ownership to another user, Magman, who changed it to the WEG Fansite (which was re-blessed by Eric Gibson as the unofficial successor to the original WEG forums). In the wake of Gibson releasing D6 as OGC and selling off the WEG properties piecemeal, Magman changed the name of WEG Fansite to D6 Online.

The D6 boom from Open D6 never came, and traffic to D6 Online has been very low in recent years. Magman first announced he was considering closing the site in 2018, but 10 people at the time convinced him to keep it going. Individual threads are not auto-archived on the Wayback Machine, so I began archiving D6 Online one thread page at a time, but kept running into problems with my Wayback Machine account which kept blocking me from archiving, with no help from them after reaching out to them. I haven't tried it recently. I just found out today that last month, Magman has finally decided to end D6 Online and posted the above announcement.

I'm really sad about this. I've known it was going to end and accept that, but I am sad that I haven't been able to even finish archiving the Star Wars forum, let alone the general D6 discussions. I've think I saved all the pages of all the threads in the first 5 pages of the Star Wars forum (the most recent threads), but there are 9 pages of threads. This week, if anyone would like to go into each thread and save each page of them starting on page 6 Star Wars forum, that would be great.

Magman wrote:
Whill, a past moderator of this forums and a long supporter of Star Wars D6, has taken over the popular forum Rancor Pit...

Back in 2018, Magman first suggested on D6 Online that D6 fans come here. Now, the Rancor Pit must continue the legacy of the official West End Games Forums / WEG Fan Forums / WEG Fansite / D6 Online. The Star Wars RPG has always been the brightest star shining in the worlds of WEG and D6. We are still here, and we must keep the flame burning.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It is finished."
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried sending him a message, but no reply. Looks like the site is down.

*raises a glass* To the end of an era.
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look like I joined the part JUST a little late...
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bidlo wrote:
Look like I joined the part JUST a little late...

If you go to the D6 Online link in the OP, you'll access the partial archive of the site. Scroll down to the Star Wars D6 Discussion Forum, the first 5 pages or so of threads should be archived if you want to read through them.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gaming Groups All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: