The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

TK and grenades.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> TK and grenades. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: TK and grenades. Reply with quote

If i have a bad guy force user, use TK on a pc, who is carrying grenades (or even thermal detonators), to 'activate' them, would they just go off at the instant they are 'tked' or at the end of the round?
What would he a good 'roll' to try to get rid of them?

Also, on TK.
If i use TK to say, hold a person in place, are they able to make any 'reaction' rolls against incomming attacks? Are they allowed to make a str check to break free each round, or just in the first round the DJ used TK?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grenades and TD have 2 different settings for explosion: Timer or contact. I think activating a grenade through TK is not that difficult, however changing the detonation setting through TK would be a very hard task indeed. So the grenade would be on whichever setting the user left it on, which most certainly means it won't explode immediately, in the least it would explode at the end of the round. If it was set for contact, then it would not explode unless the character made a very rough movement or was hit by something. In order to get rid of the grenade, I'd call for a simple Dexterity roll, with a Difficult-VD difficulty. The better he rolls, the less damage he takes.

When you try to control someone with TK, the target can resist by adding their Control or Perception to your base difficulty, it has nothing to do with Strength. I think that should be rolled every round as the person is constantly trying to break free from the TK's grasp. Unless it breaks free, it can't perform dodges, parries maybe, with an increased difficulty.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the thermal detinators, the flavor text about them all over the place indicates that the person take care in not making harsh or sudden changes to the thermal detinator lest it go off without being activated. Most people treat them like eggs for their own safety, but I'm sure you could be more harsh and be in the "yellow zone" for safety.

If the DJ is trying to set off a TD the PC's have, he should hold the detinator in place w/ TK and make a sharp forceful strike against it from one angle while he is still holding it in place. The instant, sharp, blunt force to the detinator which can't recoil to absorb the force should be enough to trigger the explosion. There's a delicate balance in there on the verge of explosion already, an unstable one. Enough force should set it off. Of course, if you haven't informed the players, or been treating thermal detinators with the care and caution they deserve; you should definatly inform them or introduce the concept to the game first, before doing it to them. (Perhaps a news story about a man who attempted to bomb a building, but failed when the sudden stop to the turbo-lift caused the thermal detinator to explode. He was still in the basement levels and had not reached the more sensitve, higher security locations law enforcement believes he was attempting to target. Well Jan, that's what happens when you're not careful with such a dangerous weapon.)
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TK and grenades. Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If i have a bad guy force user, use TK on a pc, who is carrying grenades (or even thermal detonators), to 'activate' them, would they just go off at the instant they are 'tked' or at the end of the round?

All grenades have a delay, so they should not explode until the end of the round. A TK roll of 12 should be sufficient. Thermal detonators do not have pins. They have timers. This requires careful manipulation. A TK roll of 17 should be about right. Both of these difficulties assume the PC is in the Jedi's line of sight.

garhkal wrote:
What would he a good 'roll' to try to get rid of them?

The PC should only need a grenade roll of 10 to get rid of them.

garhkal wrote:
If i use TK to say, hold a person in place, are they able to make any 'reaction' rolls against incomming attacks?

If Alter is greater than Strength +10, no. Otherwise the TK attempt fails.

garhkal wrote:
Are they allowed to make a str check to break free each round, or just in the first round the DJ used TK?

Every round, the same as a wrestling or martial art pin.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Does it say that anywhere, cause in the example given, of moving someone, there is no additional roll each round.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget the point made about a sharp contact. Remember that in the Jedi Academy trilogy, Gantoris uses the Force to make an actual strike on an antenna. The result was kind of like the antenna had been flicked, and the avians on it took flight as the antenna rang as from a physical contact and vibrated. So theoretically, a dark Jedi should be able to do the same thing to someone's thermal detonator and cause the thing to go off; the only two variables he'd need to really worry about are: 1) Did I flick it hard enough, and 2) Am I far enough away that I'm not going to be turned into a fine, red mist? Beyond that, it should be possible. However, if you have a Jedi in your party, they should be allowed to make a Perception or Sense roll to see if they can detect what's being done. Then they might make an Absorb/Dissipate energy to bleed off the telekinetic energy from its intended purpose, thus saving the individual and anyone in the blast radius.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Let's not forget the point made about a sharp contact. Remember that in the Jedi Academy trilogy, Gantoris uses the Force to make an actual strike on an antenna. The result was kind of like the antenna had been flicked, and the avians on it took flight as the antenna rang as from a physical contact and vibrated. So theoretically, a dark Jedi should be able to do the same thing to someone's thermal detonator and cause the thing to go off; the only two variables he'd need to really worry about are: 1) Did I flick it hard enough, and 2) Am I far enough away that I'm not going to be turned into a fine, red mist? Beyond that, it should be possible. However, if you have a Jedi in your party, they should be allowed to make a Perception or Sense roll to see if they can detect what's being done. Then they might make an Absorb/Dissipate energy to bleed off the telekinetic energy from its intended purpose, thus saving the individual and anyone in the blast radius.

If they were the target of the tk, then i might see them getting the per/sense role, but i cannot see how ab/dis can absorb tk..
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:

Does it say that anywhere, cause in the example given, of moving someone, there is no additional roll each round.

I can't think of anywhere it's written. It just seems logical. It's what I see when I go to a wrestling match.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absorb/Dissipate Energy works on energy. The Force is an energy field. If an object is moving, it has telekinetic energy. Absorb/Dissipate could conceiveably bleed off the telekinetic energy surrounding the object, perhaps even to the point of removing enough energy so as to keep the object stationary.

And if use of the Force truly creates ripples that can be detected by other Jedi, and TK is basically a line-of-site power, then it stands to reason that the DJ trying to TK the pin would have to be close enough that the Jedi would detect the ripples. If they act fast enough or roll good enough, they could conceiveably detect what's going on and move to stop it.

I admit I may be reaching at straws, but I happen to be one of those who believes that the only limits a Jedi has (besides Light and dark) are those placed on him or her by their own lack of imagination.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only do I agree with Skyler, I'm going to say if the grenadier is a Jedi, he could use his Control to oppose the dark jedi's telekenesis.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have to ask about that over on the holonet, as to whether ab/dis can be used to offset tk...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted. I don't mean to purport myself as the Hitchhiker's Guide to Star Wars Role Playing or anything... but since the question was raised, and I found it to be quite the interesting topic, I've been having MUCH fun picking it apart! 8)
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
...as to whether ab/dis can be used to offset tk...

Ooooo. That's new. I guess it would depend on whether that player brought pizza to the game that night or not.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I can dig that! The size of the pizza and the amount/kind of toppings is directly proportional to the Jedi's chances of pulling this stunt off! (Is that an official Holonet ruling?) Laughing
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's often MY ruling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: