The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hyperdrive rings for TIE line crafts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Hyperdrive rings for TIE line crafts Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see this implemented by the Imperial Warlords (?) during the New Republic. And I just remembered that now other groups like the Mining Guild has TIE Fighters too. So maybe other groups like pirates would be interested?
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
I could see this implemented by the Imperial Warlords (?) during the New Republic. And I just remembered that now other groups like the Mining Guild has TIE Fighters too. So maybe other groups like pirates would be interested?

Pirates would never invest their credits in R&D, and the Empire keeps their hyperdrive rings on lockdown, as the Jedi starfighters & interceptors are rebranded as Sith starfighters & interceptors, for use of Lord Vader, Dark Jedi/Inquisitors & other Imperial Agents.

Since i've been thinking about it, i've decided that one of Inquisitors' projects was converting a handful of the Jedi/Sith hyperdrive rings with parts cannibalized from droid starfighters, to make them compatible with TIEs.
While Jedi/Sith starfighters & interceptors can still connect to these rings, mechanized arms will attach to hardpoints on the TIE fighter.

Most pirate groups would not be interested, as connecting to a hyperspace ring is an added step, one that could mean capture or death for raiders fleeing the scene of their crime(s). That said there's always a band of misfits who would consider it, not knowing or knowing & not caring about the risk...
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said Pirates would invest in R&D? But then again you mean someone like Black Sun maybe wouldn’t? I was thinking also Blackmarket. Some ambitious and greedy Admiral could sell those rings.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
Who said Pirates would invest in R&D? But then again you mean someone like Black Sun maybe wouldn’t? I was thinking also Blackmarket. Some ambitious and greedy Admiral could sell those rings.

And get a visit from Lord Vader for his treason, yes.

But there are alternatives. Such as the TIE/PT, detailed here.

Black Sun has the resources, yes, but they made a high-end starfighter, the StarViper-class attack platform

But if you'd rather have pirates with TIEs & hyperspace rings go right ahead! I'm not stopping you. I was merely pointing out the probable.

Here's a thought; Czerka is way corrupt & greedy, and would sell anything...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always smart ways to sell things on the black market in such a way that it can't be traced back to you. A shipment of parts could be "stolen". Or captured by pirates (that is what they do, after all), who were tipped off about the shipment in exchange for a hefty bribe.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they're no longer canon, but some TIE Interceptors had Hyperdrives at the cost of all spare space and some maneuverability. Others had light shield generators that cost the same thing, too.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
I know they're no longer canon, but some TIE Interceptors had Hyperdrives at the cost of all spare space and some maneuverability. Others had light shield generators that cost the same thing, too.

Some earlier TIE models seen in the classic Marvel comics had a squared-off module on the rear of the cockpit. The original Kenner TIE Fighter toy had the same look.

Link to Image

My take is that this module indicates an extended range variant, with an internal hyperdrive and additional consumables, at the cost of a little speed. Since it's just an extension of the standard TIE pod, it can be combined with any of the standard TIE models, or the Interceptor.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that toy stirs feelings of nostalgia in me. I know I didn't have a TIE fighter, but I'm guessing one of my friends did and I played with it.

It's obvious that obstruction is just a handle for the child to hold on to while he "flies" it, and it looks like there is also a button, so that must be to activate lights/sound.

I like the idea of making the real world differences of a toy model into an in-universe variation. Nice.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Seeing that toy stirs feelings of nostalgia in me. I know I didn't have a TIE fighter, but I'm guessing one of my friends did and I played with it.

It's obvious that obstruction is just a handle for the child to hold on to while he "flies" it, and it looks like there is also a button, so that must be to activate lights/sound.

I had one; the button was actually to make the wings pop off to simulate blowing up when it got "hit" by your friend's X-Wing toy. Good times!

EDIT: Okay, did some quick research. The button on the back did make the ship light up, but there were two additional buttons on the sides that made the wings pop off.

Quote:
I like the idea of making the real world differences of a toy model into an in-universe variation. Nice.

Credit where credit is due, the original concept is actually from the Star Wars Technical Commentary on TIE Fighters, where it's called the TIE Extended, which includes several images backing up its existence in-universe.

Might be worth offering as an optional variant of my various TIE stats...

Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: TIE Extended & TIE Vanguard Reply with quote

I have uses for the TIE Extended & TIE Vanguard (which i had forgotten about); the TIE Vanguard can be one of the special projects that is on the drawing board, no prototypes yet.

Yeah, have a couple Hammerhead-class cruisers converted to Imperial recon frigates, with a squadron or two each of TIE/Ex Extended, and maybe a similarly converted Thranta-class corvette, doing missions for the Inquisitorius...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those ships will be almost 4,000 years old by the time TIE fighters are in service. There are other, better modern ships available for that sort of mission in the early Imperial era.

Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Those ships will be almost 4,000 years old by the time TIE fighters are in service. There are other, better modern ships available for that sort of mission in the early Imperial era.

Not necessarily. My takeaway from the lore, is that there was some kind of refit program to keep the older ships viable/competitive, but few if any of them survive to modern times. New models were built as needed, either to replace ships lost or expand the navy (the Republic's or allied systems). So while the classes may be old, the ones i'd be using are newer models from either the Clone Wars or the decade between the Blockade of Naboo & the 1st Battle of Geonosis. A lot of planets were reasonably fearful the Trade Federation (or other hostile entity) would attack them, and so they would buy ships for themselves, as the Republic was so demilitarized that a federal navy was for all intents & purposes non-existent.

So we don't waste any more space on this Thread for TIE Hyperspace Rings, how about we table the discussion on Hammerheads for when i get more stats up on my Hammerheads thread.

Another 2¢ on TIE Hyperspace Rings; make up a 'group/faction x' that made hyperspace rings for some other fighter, steal those & repurpose them for your pirates' stolen/captured TIEs.

Last edited by Inquisitor1138 on Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
My takeaway from the lore, is that there was some kind of refit program to keep the older ships viable/competitive, but few if any of them survive to modern times. New models were built as needed, either to replace ships lost or expand the navy (the Republic's or allied systems).

At that point, you're better off designing new ships. We already see this in the Rebellion era, where Clone Wars ships are considered second-rate at best, and consigned to less important sectors. I can accept that maybe, just maybe, some heavily modified versions of these ships may still be in service with the planetary defense force of some nowhere dustball in the Outer Rim, but not in front-line Imperial service, and especially not for the sorts of missions Inquisitors get assigned to. And any fighters they have will be badly out of date, as well, not new-production TIE fighters.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the TIE Extended idea. Would that be an add-on for any fighter, would the TIE Extended be a separate class (like you'd have a TIE-In-E)
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm a little late to the TIE Extended conversation, but I wanted to share EC Henry's take: TIE Vigilant.

Apparently, ILM used the die cast toys (pictured below) to fill out the Imperial parade during the Emperor's arrival on the Death Star in Return of the Jedi, technically making them canon to the films.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: