The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

One with the Force
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> One with the Force Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: One with the Force Reply with quote

So, Obi-wan becomes one with the Force, and he leaves his clothes behind (if I die, damn right I'm spending the afterlife naked)

Yoda dies, and leaves his clothes behind.

Given that we know that Anakin Skywalker became one with the Force, what was left behind of a cyborg?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say his cyborg parts were left behind with his helmet and suit.

But I'm pretty sure that in Legends and Canon, his body didn't fade away like Obi-Wan and Yoda. His body remained like Qui-Gon's. However, Anakin instantly appeared a ghost when Qui-Gon never visually appeared and took years to communicate with the living.

Really, I'm not sure that whether Anakin's body was left behind or not makes any difference. Was there an unstated reasons for the question?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I say his cyborg parts were left behind with his helmet and suit.

But I'm pretty sure that in Legends and Canon, his body didn't fade away like Obi-Wan and Yoda. His body remained like Qui-Gon's. However, Anakin instantly appeared a ghost when Qui-Gon never visually appeared and took years to communicate with the living.

Really, I'm not sure that whether Anakin's body was left behind or not makes any difference. Was there an unstated reasons for the question?

Mostly just weird curiousity. A FB image, led to a thought, which led to a wild hare.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did anakin and yoda show up almost immediately, when it took qui-gon years supposedly to manifest?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Why did anakin and yoda show up almost immediately, when it took qui-gon years supposedly to manifest?

Vacation. Yoda had been idle for years, it was his first chance to travel.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol

garhkal wrote:

It was said that when he died, Qui-Gon only knew a weaker version of the power to become a ghost. After his ghost finally made contact with Yoda (and Yoda taught Obi-Wan how to talk to Qui-Gon) the three worked together to fine tune the power to the version that Obi-Wan and Yoda used a few decades later. Their version was also powerful enough to very quickly teach Anakin how to not fade away into the Force right when he died, so he could become a ghost too.

In my SWU, Vader had actually discovered the power and learned it on his own, but it would do him no good because it doesn't work on the Dark Side. So when he turned back to the light and died in an act of love, he was then able to use it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder, what the in=game stats OF such a force power would be.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Force ghost Reply with quote

If it is something that every Jedi PC has access too, then it becomes less special when the film characters do it so it cheapens the drama of the films. That may not matter to everyone, especially GMs who play alternate reality/infinity games, but for me that holds the six Lucas films as canon in my current campaign universe, I don't undo the films.

Vader did not expect Obi-Wan to disappear on the Death Star. Obi-Wan was shocked and surprised to learn that Qui-Gon returned from death in some way. Yoda, the 800+ year old Grand Master Jedi, did not expect to ever hear Qui-Gon's voice again. It is obviously a very rare power unknown to the Jedi High Council.

And do PCs really need it?...

garhkal wrote:
I wonder, what the in=game stats OF such a force power would be.

I wonder what the application of that would be in the game anyway? Would players of Jedi characters actually even want to "play" a ghost in the campaign after their character dies? Force Ghosts would be too powerful if they had the ability to spy on anyone in the galaxy and communicate to anyone, so it makes sense to me that they can only speak to knowledge they have and can only communicate with a limited number of people for limited times.

At the end of RotS, Qui-Gon could only speak to Yoda, and Yoda said that he would teach Obi-Wan how to commune with Qui-Gon before Obi-Wan would leave to take Luke to Tatooine. Therefore, it must have been Qui-Gon's ghost that directly taught Obi-Wan the power to become ghost, and Qui-Gon's ghost must have been a messenger communicating between Yoda and Obi-Wan on Dagobah and Tatooine, respectively.

All that said, my Blue Vader/college episodic campaign (92-96) actually had one adventure where an unexpected player played an unnamed Force ghost...

Quote:
* The background of Ted's first character (Quixotic Jedi) stated that after he had realized his Force sensitivity, he started to hear a voice inside his head, but didn't know whose voice it was and just assumed that it was the will of the Force guiding him. Matt hadn't made a PC, but just showed up one game session to watch, and eventually started giving suggestions to Ted as if he were the ghost of Obi-Wan Kenobi. Since it was in the spirit of Star Wars and everyone found it entertaining at the time, I allowed this to continue.

So the Jedi Master Force ghost was only in one adventure and never appeared again. He never was a live character in the game so we didn't have to worry about rules for becoming a ghost (he didn't even have any stats). I'm thinking that ended up being the final adventure Ted played the Quixotic Jedi because he later played a different (non-Force) character in the game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more thinking that the pc's get 'guided BY a force ghost;.

What could it do? how much lore could it pass on/ How long would it last/linger etc?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I was more thinking that the pc's get 'guided BY a force ghost;.

What could it do? how much lore could it pass on/ How long would it last/linger etc?

I'd lean towards "No more than their Control dice in years, for not more than Control dice in minutes a week." I'd also let them have a "speak in the head" limit based on their Alter dice (for Projective Telepathy).

All of this would require a roll, of course. If I wanted to game it out.

Ben, as we see him in the movies, isn't really around long enough to be an effective teacher. He speaks a bit to Luke in the Death Star, and he makes an appearance in TESB, plus some more talking, then a scene in ROTJ... not a lot. He might have had more interactions with Luke between TESB and ROTJ, but it didn't seem to be a "drop by for tea on Wednesdays" sort of thing.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Obi-Wan did talk to Luke in between TESB and RotJ, then he didn't answer any questions. The first Luke says to him when he appears to Luke in RotJ, is confronting him about his lie. I can't imagine that Obi-Wan would have talked to Luke a lot during that time, because Luke would have been even more mad that Obi-Wan never answered his question since he found out the truth in TESB, "Why didn't you tell me?"

Maybe Obi-Wan didn't have the power to break through into the land of the living that much. Maybe he got a boost from Yoda's Force ghost because he had just recently died. Maybe Obi-Wan told Yoda, 'It's time for me to fess up about our deception." I quite liked Zahn's idea that being a Force ghost was just a temporary thing, just delaying the inevitable: completely losing their identity and rejoining the Force. The idea that being a Force ghost is contrary to nature in the SWU, so it can only be done for a good reason and you'll still eventually cease to exist as an individual.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I quite liked Zahn's idea that being a Force ghost was just a temporary thing, just delaying the inevitable: completely losing their identity and rejoining the Force. The idea that being a Force ghost is contrary to nature in the SWU, so it can only be done for a good reason and you'll still eventually cease to exist as an individual.

I also liked how Zahn gave a concrete time limit for the force ghosting..
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Force ghost Reply with quote

LOL, I forgot about this. This is just a reminder that the power to become a Force ghost includes the power to appear however they want. Otherwise Anakin would look like this.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that weird shout-out to Qui-Gon at the very end of Episode 3 was completely pointless and felt very unnatural.
Obi-Wan and Yoda both die in a kind of meditative state, while all the Jedi killed in battle did not. That's all the explanation that was required.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was kind of a porely thought ret-con, pushed into Ep 3... to some how justify obi-wan having that ability later in Ep 4 (which came first..)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: