The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Book of Boba Fett [Spoilers Allowed]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Book of Boba Fett [Spoilers Allowed] Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
(According to canon, Fett is only 41-42 years old at the time of TBoBF – he only looks 60 because the actor was 60 when they filmed it.)

All that sun must be really bad for the skin!

The show is a jumbled mess, that is very true! So's a lot of Shakespeare and Greek tragedy but it's possible to rise above being a jumbled mess.
So much of this stuff is in the execution. A lot of times we let Shakespeare get away with being a jumbled mess because his dialogue is just amazing. Likewise, various elements of this show more than make up for the disjointed aspects of it.

Most new SW leaves me feeling like a jaded adult when I watch it but these shows don't. There's an artistic sincerity to them that I've found lacking for the supermajority of SW materials.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Whill wrote:
(According to canon, Fett is only 41-42 years old at the time of TBoBF – he only looks 60 because the actor was 60 when they filmed it.)

All that sun must be really bad for the skin!

The show is a jumbled mess, that is very true! So's a lot of Shakespeare and Greek tragedy but it's possible to rise above being a jumbled mess.
So much of this stuff is in the execution. A lot of times we let Shakespeare get away with being a jumbled mess because his dialogue is just amazing. Likewise, various elements of this show more than make up for the disjointed aspects of it.

Most new SW leaves me feeling like a jaded adult when I watch it but these shows don't. There's an artistic sincerity to them that I've found lacking for the supermajority of SW materials.

Yes, the old Tatooine suns curse that aged Owen, Beru, Obi-Wan, and Luke beyond their years. But the problem with that is, Boba was already looking a couple decades older at the very beginning of his time living on Tatooine. I still think they should have cast the kid Boba actor in AotC who is closer in age to the character now (30s). He also has a closer build to Jeremy Bulloch and the stunt men who wore the suit in the CT. But oh well.

I'm used to your hyperbole, but come on. I'm gonna have to firmly disagree with the suggestion that The Book of Boba Fett is in any way comparable to Shakespeare. That idea is quite absurd, brother. My minor in college was English and I studied Shakespeare beyond just the most popular classics. Shakespeare's jumbled messes are still on a whole other level of art than TBoBF.

That being said, personally I'm not a huge fan of Shakespeare, and despite TBoBF being a jumbled mess, I still enjoyed aspects of it. Some characters and things in it are good inspiration for the RPG. Some of the action sequences were cool. But probably the only episode I thought was really "good" overall was the second one. And part of why it was great was ripping off Solo.

I'm truly happy for anyone enjoying these shows.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Gamorreans, my older son and watched E7 and during that scene he didn’t like it because the Gamorreans didn’t seem to hurt any Klatoonians. He says well they didn’t put up a bigger fight and allowed themselves to be pushed off a cliff? I totally agree. If they would’ve been shown to put up a bigger fight and maybe take out one or two Klatoonians, fine. I mean they took out some Nightwind assassins or at East gave them a fight. Overall we enjoyed it and the series.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I'm used to your hyperbole, but come on. I'm gonna have to firmly disagree with the suggestion that The Book of Boba Fett is in any way comparable to Shakespeare. That idea is quite absurd, brother. My minor in college was English and I studied Shakespeare beyond just the most popular classics. Shakespeare's jumbled messes are still on a whole other level of art than TBoBF.

That being said, personally I'm not a huge fan of Shakespeare, and despite TBoBF being a jumbled mess, I still enjoyed aspects of it. Some characters and things in it are good inspiration for the RPG. Some of the action sequences were cool. But probably the only episode I thought was really "good" overall was the second one. Solo.

Well I majored in Theater in college and took an upper level English class in Shakespeare and performed in a college production of one Shakespeare show and worked behind the scenes on two Wink Unfortunately I can't figure out to attach a Penelope meme Soooooo the smiley will have to do.

I'm not equating it to Shakespeare. But my point is, being a jumbled mess doesn't disqualify it. Taking the pros and cons of the assorted movies and tv shows and averaging them out. The sound and music *alone* elevates the experience of watching these two tv shows above that of watching the two new trilogies. There's a lot of movies that blow anything in Star Wars completely away. And the worst movie you can think of, is SOMEONE'S favorite movie.

The BoB epidsodes, if I was to be precise, they're not good. They're fun. But "fun" is more than I can say about a lot of SW these days unfortunately.

Who's the guy in the bacta tank at the end? Did anyone recognize him or is that a deliberate mystery?
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My theory for the guy in the Bacta Tank is Cobb Vanth. A coworker thought it might be Cad Bane but I highly doubt that!
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
My theory for the guy in the Bacta Tank is Cobb Vanth. A coworker thought it might be Cad Bane but I highly doubt that!

Google confirms it's supposed to be Vanth. That was the only person I could think of... except maybe his deputy who also got shot?... in my attempt to google the deputy's haircolor I cstumbled on the LA Times or someone saying it is indeed Vanth in the bacta tank.

I also stumbled on something about the ears/hat of the male Twi'lek server meaning he's either trans or it was just a costume oversight. Personally I think the headgear just means he's a lowly subservient person like Oola. There'd be equivalents in lots of earth cultures.

Not that I think any of it actually "means" anything except in retrospect. We fans read too much from too few tea leaves. Whoever designed a waiter's costume probably didn't know about Twi'lek gender dimorphism. Or maybe twi'leks have a, get this, ALIEN means of reproduction and concept of gender.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Some characters and things in it are good inspiration for the RPG.

One of the reasons I like the Vespa gang is because Drash reminds me of the cyborg pirate illustration from the 2e character templates.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Ninja-Bear wrote:

Google confirms it's supposed to be Vanth. That was the only person I could think of... except maybe his deputy who also got shot?... in my attempt to google the deputy's haircolor I cstumbled on the LA Times or someone saying it is indeed Vanth in the bacta tank.

Yeah, it is Coy Vance. The deputy took a kill shot but the marshal took a shoulder shot which in fiction means the character isn't dead. He's not fake Fett anymore, but now he gets to be a cyborg.

TauntaunScout wrote:
I also stumbled on something about the ears/hat of the male Twi'lek server meaning he's either trans or it was just a costume oversight. Personally I think the headgear just means he's a lowly subservient person like Oola. There'd be equivalents in lots of earth cultures.

Not that I think any of it actually "means" anything except in retrospect. We fans read too much from too few tea leaves. Whoever designed a waiter's costume probably didn't know about Twi'lek gender dimorphism. Or maybe twi'leks have a, get this, ALIEN means of reproduction and concept of gender.

Some fan says that male Twi'leks can't have the headgear that the male servant did? How silly. It seems this fan is imposing his own assumptions and standards of alien clothing onto the show.

TauntaunScout wrote:
One of the reasons I like the Vespa gang is because Drash reminds me of the cyborg pirate illustration from the 2e character templates.

And maybe they did searches to look for Star Wars cyborg character images and used that as inspiration. WEG still influences Disney canon so it is possible.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
WEG still influences Disney canon so it is possible.

It's a goldmine of material. I hear there's even still a whole internet forum dedicated to it!
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Whill wrote:
WEG still influences Disney canon so it is possible.

It's a goldmine of material. I hear there's even still a whole internet forum dedicated to it!

Really? Sounds like a cool website.

Very Happy
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Star Wars: RoboCop" anyone?
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
"Star Wars: RoboCop" anyone?

Star Wars Kickpuncher. For all the Community fans.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.space.com/star-wars-book-of-boba-fett-episode-7-review

Space.com posted a glowing review of TBoBF Episode 7, stating there is no denying that seeing Boba and Mando fight side by side is "one of the best moments we've ever had in Star Wars so far."

Shocked

The things is, we don't need to see them fight side by side. We don't even need Boba Fett there at all.

In TESB, Boba Fett was cool. He didn't do much, but he looked cool and had such potential. In RotJ, his ultimate purpose was revealed: slapstick comedy. He didn't do anything cool except for take off from the sail barge with his rocket pack and land on the skiff. Then the joke started, he missed Luke at point blank range while Luke was busy with Jabba's goons, and died with a burp. A lot of fans thought it was hilarious. A lot were disappointed.

The PT gave Lucas a chance to put Boba Fett's "father" Jango in a movie. He was awesome. He went toe to toe with Obi-Wan Kenobi. His armor looked even cooler. Jango was the genetic basis of the entire Republic army (which seems more effective than Imperial stormtroopers). They never explained why Boba, who was supposed to be a pure genetic copy of Jango, wasn't nearly as bad@ss as Jango, but the bottom line was, we finally got the Fett we always wanted.

But Jango and Boba were dead, so Disney invented a new character that has everything we loved about the Fetts. The Mandalorian has the Mandalorian battle armor, and he was a bounty hunter like the Fetts. He has the abilities of Jango. But he's a new character without any continuity, so unlike with little kid Boba in AotC who had a destiny, they could do whatever they wanted. Mando is the Fett of the post-RotJ era. And this time, he is a good guy with a code other than trying to make his way in the galaxy.

Mando made Boba Fett obsolete. But then they used the success of TM to bring Boba back to life anyway, so that they could contrive that Boba wants to be a crime lord that rules with respect so his first season could be TM season 2.5.

But that's not to say that The Mandalorian is perfect.

It makes no sense that he had never heard of the Jedi before the Armorer told him about them. These shows take place only 31 years after Order 66. Even if Mando had never seen one before he was orphaned as kid, the Jedi Order still existed in the galaxy for at least two thousand years by that point. Why would his cult never have taught him that The Way was founded by a Mandalorian Jedi? Or teach him any history about the war the Mandalorians had against the Jedi?

It also makes no sense that Mando would have never heard of other Mandalorians who take off their helmets. Why would his cult not teach him about other sects of Mandalorians that don't follow The Way? Also, the Great Purge on Mandalore happened sometime after 2 BBY to comply with Rebels continuity, and Mando had been an adult working as a bounty hunter in the galaxy for many years by that time, so it doesn't make any sense that in all that time he would never have learned about other Mandalorian sects. And Mando never heard of Boba Fett, another Mandalorian armor wearing bounty hunter operating at the same time?

And it makes no sense that Mando would never have heard of Anakin or Luke Skywalker. Since Mando was working as a bounty hunter in the classic era, he surely would eventually hear about the top Imperial bounties. Luke Skywalker was one of the most wanted terrorists in the galaxy!

And Grogu doesn't really make sense either. If Grogu really was a baby, then Mando is a sh!tty adoptive parent for putting him into so many dangerous situations. I get that his species ages very slowly, but he is shown to have an intelligence higher than that of a baby. He should be able to talk. And "babies" aren't trained as Jedi. It makes sense that they have to at least be (talking) toddlers to start training. Luke not only trained him, but offered him a lightsaber. A baby!! Lightsabers are not for babies. I can't see Luke Skywalker being that inept of a teacher. (With the danger Mando always puts him in, the armor makes some sense.) It feels like that they just disregarded all rationality to make Grogu as cute as possible. Ewoks make a lot more sense.

Here's how I personally rank the seasons of live-action Disney+ Star Wars so far:

1. The Mandalorian season 1
2. The Mandalorian season 2
3. The Book of Boba Fett
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my issue with "Baby Yoda" (I refuse to say "Grogu").

Yoda was 900 year old in the OT, and had been training Jedi "for 800 years". That implies that Yoda was a Jedi Master at 100 years old.

Baby Yoda, of the same apparent species, is 50 years old. However, he appears to be less than a 2 year old. He doesn't speak - just baby gurgles, he puts everything in his mouth, and he chases shiny objects.

I have a hard time believing that Yoda's species is infantile for 50+ years, then suddenly goes through childhood, adolescence, and then adulthood within the next 40 years.

They should have had Baby Yoda in stasis for those 30 years...otherwise, it seems that 'Baby Yoda' is brain damaged....
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rant no one asked for, but that I can't keep from bubbling forth...

My reaction to the finale.

*Deep inhale*

Fett’s first instinct when confronted with an attack:
Let's go to my palace to fight...it's fortified. That seems like a sound plan…go to a fortified place to defend.

But NO he gets swayed from that by some nonsense speech about staying at the bombed-out Sanctuary to show the people of Mos Espa that he stands for them.
Which is pretty much BS as we soon see.

So he sends out his people to apparently watch all possible approaches to what is a pretty sprawling city so that no one can show up without him knowing about it.

In perfect comedic timing, Cad Bane promptly shows up unannounced and surprising them.

He taunts Fett, who should probably take him out then and there.
Fett has the Mando by his side. I understand they are trying to evoke the Old West gunfighter mystique…but I’ve seen enough westerns to know that sometimes you have your guys with rifles perched on the roof of the saloon and behind the rain barrel to get the job done too. That fight should have happened then and there, especially after the reveal of the fate of his beloved Tuskens. But he gets stayed by some nonsense about not acting on Emotion.

What’s the take-away there? Don’t kill someone who deserves it because they *might* be faster on the draw than you; that somehow gives you the moral high ground? So it would be better to kill him after the Pykes show up when it will be even harder?

Okay, so then we have members of the city factions (the citizens of Mos Espa working for the crime lords?) rise up against the sentries and overwhelm them. And what the heck were the two Gamorreans doing standing at a cliff edge? I know they aren’t supposed to be bright, but damn that’s some real tactical genius.

The Pykes show up at the Sanctuary. After Fett sends out his demands, he and Mando make a surprise attack by flying in on their jet packs shooting! What a surprise!!

What does that accomplish that blasting away at their targets from the protection of cover could not? They literally stand in the wide open and try to fight enemies off in all directions. The height of lunacy!

The Scorpenek droids show up, which are admittedly cool. They shoot at the droids…that have shields that the blasters cannot defeat. Ok. The solution for that… is apparently to continue to shoot ineffectually? I can buy a little bit of massed fire to see if they can overload the shields…but I think they made it pretty clear that was not going to happen.
Even while running, they keep taking the time to shoot back....why? A droid under full protection from the shield is not going to be suppressed or morally discouraged by the continued defiance. It just slows you down in your ability to get to cover, or get away entirely.

Then Fett tells Mando to keep it busy while he flies away? Whut?? Just run away! What is the point to staying to fight them? The Pykes might ‘win’ the street for that afternoon. So what?

You can go after them after the fact. It’s not like their plan was to level the city and kill everyone in it. They are coming to kill Fett...lead them out of the city and the city isn't going to get shot up. It’s also obvious that not many of the townsfolk are in it on Fett’s side anyhow. Most probably don’t give a crap who claims to be the Daimyo.

Fennec Shand is a cool character. Steals every scene she is in. But as stealthy bad –@$$ as she is…when she shows up to save the Mod girl…they don’t hear her. Which on the surface is okay, cuz she’s like a stealthy assassin….but it becomes dumb when she roars away on her speeder bike and you realize she must have pulled up on that thing in the alley and no one even heard it arrive.

And speaking of townsfolk…the cavalry that these badass professional warriors were praying would come to the rescue…are a bunch of tatooine farmer types who Mando had taught to stick up for themselves against the Krayt. That just feels wrong they aren't warriors or soldiers...they are the kinds of people that heroes would be standing up for.

It would have worked better for me if a few dozen clans of Tuskens had banded together to help Fett or maybe some old allies of Fetts. Fennec Shand said she could find some warriors with enough credits....who did she find? Just mando who then talked some civvies into fighting a heavily armed cartel.
…but I digress.

We now come to the part that made me beat my forehead against the wall (not literally).

The Mod biker girl, decides to tell the others that they can’t keep running for their lives….for….uh…reasons.
Why?
They have obtained no better weapons. The droids have become no more vulnerable or easier to kill or evade. Nor have the ones running for their lives suddenly gained any new agency or toughness. They just have to stop because they have to stop and fight now.

One of the rescuer townsfolk says she’s a hunter…so they go up the roof together...just the two of them. Then Mod girl tells her… and this is the stupidest part of the whole episode (for me).

“You shoot, I’ll distract it.”
WHILE THEY STAND LITERALLY NEXT TO EACH OTHER!!!

The droid is like “Oh no, I’m being ineffectually attacked by that human on that building. I wonder what the human beside her is going to do? Hmm. I better shoot at the one…oh…lol shot both of them at the same time. Cool.”

That might have come across logical on paper...if one of them had a weapon that was more effective somehow, or if the droids had a weak spot on their back and the mod girl was going to get it to turn the other way or at least shoot at it from a completely different vantage point...but I pin the stupidity that was actually filmed on the director.

But luckily Fett returns at the helm of his Firestray Gunship to blast away those droids, popping their shields like soap bubbles under the torrent of fire from his…

No, wait…

Oh right, he rides in on the Rancor…the one that would have taken a fair bit longer to get there I guess, looking at my tatooine maps reference. The rancor we never saw him have even a single scene learning to ride.
Mando had a scene learning to ride those 2 legged piranna things...but not a single scene of Fett learning how to control such a formidable beast??
Laziness.

The rancor that doesn’t seem all that suited to fighting those droids anyhow.

Then at the end, after the victory, Shand goes on her attack on the Pykes. They could have run away from the droids initially and still gone and done that and 'won', but no.

There’s much more in there that struck me as ‘off’ but it escapes me at the moment…but let’s just say that when I saw ‘Robert Rodriguez’ on the director credits…it was no surprise. Every episode he directed has been sub-par. Including the Mandalorian episodes. Which is sad, because I really enjoy some of his own movies. Desperado is one of my favorites and I love Planet Terror. Both are sort of action-comedies.

I did like some of the set-pieces. Seeing the rancor actually fight was awesome…but it felt like it wasn’t properly set up. I liked the droids, they felt genuinely scary and they looked great in motion.

Grogu and his arrival and actions felt very tacked-on and thus tacky, but I love the little woggy...so... plus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: