The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How's the weather?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> How's the weather? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffalo 14°, Royalton 10°; wind chill -14°...

200 million-plus stranded on Hoth...
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Last night we got a lot of snow. Right now it is -7, wind chill factor -34 (Fahrenheit).

While I was out working up a sweat shoveling the sidewalks before work, I came inside to find we had lost power. They are estimating a restoration of late afternoon. Internet also went out separately so I don't know if I'll have internet when power is restored.

I need to conserve power on my phone so I'll be logging off now. Stay warm and safe everyone!

AT-AT

YEa, wind chill is bad here.. We've dropped 48 degrees since thursday..
Luckily OUR power out here in Reynoldsburg is still good.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I thought about you and hoped you didn't lose power. Mine was only out about three hours.

I spent the time wrapping all the Christmas presents, on top of our clothes dryer in the basement because it is near the basement window so there was light coming in – It was the perfect spot and a perfect way to spend the time when I couldn't do much else. It had just starting to get chilly inside when the power came back on. Internet came back soon after power, so I went to work.

Unfortunately with the snow drift from the high winds, you can't see half of my shoveling efforts now.

Inquisitor1138 wrote:

I know you have a lot more snow, but I hope you don't get this high-wind negative-cold front we have. From my understanding of weather patterns, most of our weather comes from the southwest and Buffalo is northeast of us. Your weather is probably some of our weather with the 'lake effect' from Erie amplifying it.

My mom had a college friend who lived in Buffalo. We went and visited a few times when I was kid. We even went in the winter one time, and both families sledded in this giant snow valley place until one of the other family's kids had a collision and we had to go to the hospital for stitches. We went to Niagra Falls in the summer a couple times–at least back then the Canada side was so much better than the American side. I remember they had a few wax museums. In the late 70s I was so impressed by a life-sized recreation of Vader v Kenobi with a DS-looking background. The last time we went was early 80s. Niagra Falls itself was even cooler after seeing Superman II. Ah, back when you didn't need a passport to go to Canada or Mexico. I often still think about Niagra and the awesome power of nature–I can still play it in my mind's eye. I hope you enjoyed this rando thought-train.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I thought about you and hoped you didn't lose power. Mine was only out about three hours.

I spent the time wrapping all the Christmas presents, on top of our clothes dryer in the basement because it is near the basement window so there was light coming in – It was the perfect spot and a perfect way to spend the time when I couldn't do much else. It had just starting to get chilly inside when the power came back on. Internet came back soon after power, so I went to work.

Unfortunately with the snow drift from the high winds, you can't see half of my shoveling efforts now.

We've been blessed so far! The lights flickered briefly but we still have power.
The street's been plowed, so the end of our driveway is buried...
We haven't tried shoveling; too windy.
Birds kept coming to our feeders all day, despite the winds.

Whill wrote:
Inquisitor1138 wrote:

I know you have a lot more snow, but I hope you don't get this high-wind negative-cold front we have. From my understanding of weather patterns, most of our weather comes from the southwest and Buffalo is northeast of us. Your weather is probably some of our weather with the 'lake effect' from Erie amplifying it.

My mom had a college friend who lived in Buffalo. We went and visited a few times when I was kid. We even went in the winter one time, and both families sledded in this giant snow valley place until one of the other family's kids had a collision and we had to go to the hospital for stitches. We went to Niagra Falls in the summer a couple times–at least back then the Canada side was so much better than the American side. I remember they had a few wax museums. In the late 70s I was so impressed by a life-sized recreation of Vader v Kenobi with a DS-looking background. The last time we went was early 80s. Niagra Falls itself was even cooler after seeing Superman II. Ah, back when you didn't need a passport to go to Canada or Mexico. I often still think about Niagra and the awesome power of nature–I can still play it in my mind's eye. I hope you enjoyed this rando thought-train.

We got 10" snow over the last 6 hours, and are expecting another three feet in the next 24... there's a good chance Christmas will be postponed due to travel bans...
Winds over the lake were & are making waves four feet taller than the flood line.
Erie Con, a local scifi & fantasy con is usually held at a hotel in Niagara Falls, U.S. side. I used to go every year, but haven't since 2014? Lots of good times, fond memories, & odd collectables & memorabilia. It's more literary-oriented so 90%-99% of the Con's guests are authors in science fiction, fantasy, horror and/or mysteries.
2004-06 i worked at the Teletech call center in the Falls, so on the weekends, i could have an early evening stroll after my shift, or maybe catch a movie at the Four Seasons theater...
I used to go to 2 or 3 cons in Toronto a year & occasionally 1 in the Canadian Falls... I think the last time i had ventured north was in 2014? 2012? The Wax Museum is still there.
At night there are multicolored lights that alternate, changing patterns, making a tranquil lightshow of the Falls; it's quite lovely!
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Power's been good all day, thanks for the thought. Heater's struggled though, to get above 67.. Got it set at 69...

Whill wrote:

'Yup. Would rather straight cold, than cold WITH wind chill!

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
Erie Con, a local scifi & fantasy con is usually held at a hotel in Niagara Falls, U.S. side. I used to go every year, but haven't since 2014? Lots of good times, fond memories, & odd collectables & memorabilia. It's more literary-oriented so 90%-99% of the Con's guests are authors in science fiction, fantasy, horror and/or mysteries.
2004-06 i worked at the Teletech call center in the Falls, so on the weekends, i could have an early evening stroll after my shift, or maybe catch a movie at the Four Seasons theater...
I used to go to 2 or 3 cons in Toronto a year & occasionally 1 in the Canadian Falls... I think the last time i had ventured north was in 2014? 2012? The Wax Museum is still there.
At night there are multicolored lights that alternate, changing patterns, making a tranquil lightshow of the Falls; it's quite lovely!

That makes me wonder. I know several folks in the chicago region, who go to a con, called Verncon, always held over the new years period.. I wonder how many are NOT going to be able to make it, because of this blasted cold..
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early last week, we were experiencing some "deep cold". Temps were in the negatives even during the "warm" part of the day. I think the coldest we got was -33F on Tuesday or Wednesday morning. That's not with the wind chill, that's straight air temp. With the wind chill, they were saying temps could get to -70F, so pretty much no one went out during that time.

Then, but the time Friday rolled around, we were in the teens ABOVE zero. Then over the Christmas weekend, we were in the 40sF. Now the packed snow is a solid, super smooth and slick, ice sheet! Shocked

It's cooling back down to around freezing now, and they're saying we might get some snow again on Friday. I hope not, as the ice is ridiculous and it would become hazardous if there was snow on top of it!
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allegedly, it was up in the 60s today - i don't know if that was true, but it was nice today! I hardly minded mining a Trench for over three hours...
i am dead tired tho...
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was up to 55 today. A lot of the snow melted. I'm happy that the path I shoveled on the sidewalk last week (undone by the wind) is almost clear now.

I took my family to the zoo tonight after work (we live only a few miles from the Columbus Zoo). Every December they have Wildlights where they do up the entire zoo in Christmas lights. Unfortunately you don't get to see very many animals. I saw way too damn many Homo sapiens though.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Yes, it was up to 55 today. A lot of the snow melted. I'm happy that the path I shoveled on the sidewalk last week (undone by the wind) is almost clear now.

I took my family to the zoo tonight after work (we live only a few miles from the Columbus Zoo). Every December they have Wildlights where they do up the entire zoo in Christmas lights. Unfortunately you don't get to see very many animals. I saw way too damn many Homo sapiens though.

Were they Free range or standard caged habitat? Those are a real nuisance around here, they get into everything.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Whill wrote:

Were they Free range or standard caged habitat? Those are a real nuisance around here, they get into everything.

"Free range Homo sapiens? Barbaric!"
"I hate Homo sapiens... they're abrasive, and they get everywhere..."
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:

"Free range Homo sapiens? Barbaric!"
"I hate Homo sapiens... they're abrasive, and they get everywhere..."

And they have an unnatural obsession with flags.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: ((casts Thread Necromancy)) Reply with quote

The good news this week is the weather is nice! Been warm all week with varying levels of rain! So a nice day on Dromund Kaas! Or a Super-Rare Super-Nice day on Ferenginar!

other than that i'm one of the few not sick, as half the family has covid, flu or mystery bug.

I hope you're all alive & well, wherever you are!
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: ((casts Thread Necromancy)) Reply with quote

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
The good news this week is the weather is nice! Been warm all week with varying levels of rain! So a nice day on Dromund Kaas! Or a Super-Rare Super-Nice day on Ferenginar!

other than that i'm one of the few not sick, as half the family has covid, flu or mystery bug.

I hope you're all alive & well, wherever you are!

Thanks. This week has been pretty mild in Ohio too. A lot of people grumbled about not having a "white Christmas" (not me).

I'm sorry to hear about your family being sick. I hope they get better soon and you steer clear of it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject: Hoth Something Hoth... Reply with quote

"Hey guys, i had that nightmare again, the one where i wake up stranded on Hoth..." *looks out window*
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"
"NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Travel Ban Again, today. Minor headache, all my joints hurt/ache, & the sprain of my left hand & wrist just flared up.
I'm attempting to calm my nerves, as the minor disaster i experienced in the bathroom, happened just seconds after a much more serious one occurred in the kitchen which made mom cry out. Turns out she exploded a glass mug, with the hot water she poured from the kettle to make tea the hot water then splashing down her leg.
Thank God she didn't burn herself too badly & acted quickly to cool the affected areas.

so i'm trying to sort myself out, haven't had breakfast yet which at this rate will be brunch...

I hope the rest of you are having a stress-free day today.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoth Something Hoth... Reply with quote

I had to edit your post to shorten the long string of characters without any spaces that stretched the page horizontally.

Inquisitor1138 wrote:
Turns out she exploded a glass mug, with the hot water she poured from the kettle to make tea the hot water then splashing down her leg.
Thank God she didn't burn herself too badly & acted quickly to cool the affected areas.

Ouch, I hope she heals quickly. I'm a morning hot (green) tea drinker. I've burnt myself on hot water and hot tea many times. But mine were mostly because I failed my Dexterity roll. I personally would never pour my tea into anything glass. I always use my Bubba covered mug, even at home. It's metal and plastic. I love it. Even with the drinking hole open, my tea stays warm for hours (if it is a slow-drink morning so lasts that long). And it is somewhat idiot-proof.

Right now Columbus is the same temperature with about the same wind chill factor as Buffalo. I just took the dog with me while I took the trash can from the front curb back around back. That wind is bitingly cold! But it still isn't Hoth here. Snow flurries left some snow that it is too cold to melt, but I can see part of the sidewalks. We are supposed to get a mere 1-3 inches between now and Friday night.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: