The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Stasis rule?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Stasis rule? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
More like the writers just couldn't be bothered to include mentioning of someone slain so swiftly, in other episodes of the trilogy..
NO need to write it up to some mysterious force power..

joke
/jōk/
noun
a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess my Jokomiter was on the fritz..
fogger1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Force Stasis rule? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I didn't think fogger1138 was referring to Vader defecting the bolt. Vader pulls a Rebel trooper to the ceiling, walks underneath him, and and then cuts him and he falls down. But if fogger1138 was referring to Vader's blaster bolt deflection with his hand, then I agree, that was not "Force Stasis."

I was, actually; to me, it always looked like he held it for a moment and then sent it back. Shocked Embarassed
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Force Stasis rule? Reply with quote

fogger1138 wrote:
Whill wrote:
I didn't think fogger1138 was referring to Vader defecting the bolt. Vader pulls a Rebel trooper to the ceiling, walks underneath him, and and then cuts him and he falls down. But if fogger1138 was referring to Vader's blaster bolt deflection with his hand, then I agree, that was not "Force Stasis."

I was, actually; to me, it always looked like he held it for a moment and then sent it back. Shocked Embarassed

It's hard to tell. It moves fast and it cuts to deflecting the bolt. It's a bit more more clear if you watch it on YouTube and slow it down.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Force Stasis rule? Reply with quote

fogger1138 wrote:

I just rewatched that specific part to be sure, and it really happens too fast to count as "held it for a moment". Even then, holding the energy in your hand for a moment before redirecting it would be consistent with what Yoda did in AotC. That being said, Absorb/Dissipate in its extant rule form doesn't accurately encompass the energy manipulation seen in subsequent films.

fogger1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Force Stasis rule? Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

I just rewatched that specific part to be sure, and it really happens too fast to count as "held it for a moment". Even then, holding the energy in your hand for a moment before redirecting it would be consistent with what Yoda did in AotC. That being said, Absorb/Dissipate in its extant rule form doesn't accurately encompass the energy manipulation seen in subsequent films.

Probably a perception thing on my part. It's more of a deflect/redirect than absorb/dissipate (as I think someone mentioned earlier).
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Force Stasis rule? Reply with quote

fogger1138 wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Probably a perception thing on my part. It's more of a deflect/redirect than absorb/dissipate (as I think someone mentioned earlier).

Just like Lighsaber Combat. Some shots are deflected randomly and some are redirected precisely.

Absorb/ Dissipate is one of the application of this Force Power, most basic probably, as you can in the later part of Dooku vs Yoda video provided by CRMcNeill.

It's just need some adjustment - additional MAP or higher difficulty for redirection.
The name Absorb/ Dissipate/ Redirect is too long imho, so maybe it would be good to simply call it Tutaminis.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say there needs to be at least two powers: Absorb Energy (the existing power Absorb/Dissipate plus the option of converting it into usable Force energy to temporarily charge up Force skills, ala the Horn/Halcyon family trait) and Control/Redirect Energy, which covers all the extra stuff like redirection or stasis that would require an Alter component.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I'd say there needs to be at least two powers: Absorb Energy (the existing power Absorb/Dissipate plus the option of converting it into usable Force energy to temporarily charge up Force skills, ala the Horn/Halcyon family trait) and Control/Redirect Energy, which covers all the extra stuff like redirection or stasis that would require an Alter component.

That makes sense. The Absorb power would naturally be a prerequisite for the Redirect power.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have sworn, i proposed something LIKE that redirect power, a while back.. Let me see if i can find it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
That makes sense. The Absorb power would naturally be a prerequisite for the Redirect power.

Definitely. Also, in order to accommodate the Force Stasis effect, I'd expand the base Absorb power to include kinetic energy, then also include Telekinesis as a Required Power for Redirect (assuming Redirect is the umbrella power for Force Stasis).

pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

This is how I am leaning toward it in my force power revisions.

I feel it is three distinct abilities;

Dissipating energy.
The easiest of the these (they all should be difficult) would be harmlessly dispersing the energy, using the difficulties in the rules.

Absorbing Energy

Then next is absorb, where somehow if successful, it could maybe be turned into temporary character points that are only spent on other force powers.
( reference to this https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Tutaminis - the Horn/Halcyon family trait mentioned by CRM.)
This should not be an easy thing to do....

Controlling and Redirecting
then the last is directly/instantly converting the absorbed power into force lightning (or just reflecting it back?).
This should be even more difficult.

Now, the question is ; how many force powers is that.

One force power?
With different difficulty levels for each?
Feels a bit ...all encompassing and while I do love merging things - feels like it should be more than one.

Two?
One for dissipate, another for absorb/control?

Three?
Dissipate, the easiest, then Absorb - fueling force CP's, and Control to send it back.

I think I am leaning toward two powers -
* Dissipate energy (pretty much as written in the book).
* Absorb/Redirect Energy - maybe with two uses, one to gain temporary dice to do something else, and the other just to zap the power back.

Not sure how the stasis fits into all this - I see it more as a heroic telekinesis type thing, but I would agree with others that it might go into the higher level power (if included at all).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pakman wrote:
I feel it is three distinct abilities;

Dissipating energy.
The easiest of the these (they all should be difficult) would be harmlessly dispersing the energy, using the difficulties in the rules.

Absorbing Energy

Then next is absorb, where somehow if successful, it could maybe be turned into temporary character points that are only spent on other force powers.
( reference to this https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Tutaminis - the Horn/Halcyon family trait mentioned by CRM.)
This should not be an easy thing to do....

If your goal is to avoid Force Power Bloat, then these two should be combined into one, with differing Difficulty levels for either effect. In both cases, you're absorbing the energy; the only difference is in what you're doing with that energy

Quote:
Controlling and Redirecting
then the last is directly/instantly converting the absorbed power into force lightning (or just reflecting it back?).
This should be even more difficult.

If it were instantly converted into Force Lightning, then the character would receive a DSP, due to the negative emotions needed to fuel DSP. A simple redirection of existing Force Lightning sidesteps that issue.

Quote:
I think I am leaning toward two powers -
* Dissipate energy (pretty much as written in the book).
* Absorb/Redirect Energy - maybe with two uses, one to gain temporary dice to do something else, and the other just to zap the power back.

The problem here is the Force skills being used. The Redirect power would almost certainly require an Alter component (as you are actively guiding something external to your own body), but absorbing energy into one's own body and converting it into usable Force energy falls fully under the umbrella of Control.

pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which do you feel would be more difficult (i.e. higher difficulty level).

Absorbing the energy?

or Redirecting the energy?

Honestly....I am feeling that absorbing may be more difficult - as it is a conversion of energy using the force - as opposed to just mirroring something back.

(I am talking about this in isolation of the skills, as that part I feel is secondary - or rather - the power will require both control and alter, and depending on if you want to absorb or redirect, depends on which skill you roll).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ab dis one power.
Redirect another..

TO ME at least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: