The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tricks of the Trade
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Tricks of the Trade
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Tricks of the Trade Reply with quote

I was watching Firefly recently and thinking about the various tricks one could use to evade sensors, ditch pursuers, or other things that those who run against the law might find useful in the Star Wars universe. I recall reading somewhere (in the capsule for a life support backup battery for starships, could have been Pirates or the smuggler guide) about a trick where a ship powers down completely and becomes indistinguishable from ordinary space debris to anyone not scanning very close (I believe it was a VD sensors roll to detect).

Does anyone have any other tricks players can use? And would you require a streetwise/tactics/starship skill check to know/use them?
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donīt know if I know any other tricks, but here are a few tricks to keep other ships from detecting your ship:

Hide: Simply hide behind a planet or star!
Passive sensor mode: Keeping your sensors passive makes your vessel harder to detect
Run silent: Shut down all systems! That will make you much harder to spot, but if you need life support you canīt do it for more than 5 minutes.
Jam their sensors: Any ship can flood the surroundings with static. The opponents will certainly know there is a ship, but not what ship or where it is.

I guess all of these tricks would be know to anyone with training in sensors.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Communications jamming. It won't prevent your ship from being detected, but if you're in a hiding hole and one ship finds you while the rest can't see you, you keep the one from telling folks where you are. And coupled with sensor jamming and hiding behind a large object, you could possibly take out the other ship so it could never get word out without being seen. There's also sensors baffles that make it difficult for sensors to detect your ship, but not impossible. And of course, though very rare and even more costly than the sensor baffles, cloaking devices.

Wanted Poster
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensor jamming causes sensors to go haywire. They're something to prevent you from being scanned actively, but are a big tip off that you're there.

If you want stealth, it's a bad idea.

Communication Jamming is ALMOST as bad, but you can control the area better, so as to only nail one craft.

Thing is, a lot of military scout vessels would have powerful communications devices as there's a HUGE amount of jamming that goes on in military campaigns. *AND* the communications officer on the ship would have a high Communications skill. If it's a Starfighter Pilot, he'd probably have a Higher Sensors and Communications skill, and less Starship Gunnery (As scout Snubfighters aren't supposed to dogfight.).

Debris Fields, Asteroid Belts, ect. are all good to hide "Doggo" in, as all the metal and rock screws up sensors.

Wedge Antillies used a regular Asteroid Shower to mask the insertion of X-Wings once. Had the Carrier tractor a few big enough rocks into the path of the planet, and the X-Wings snuggled up behind them. Then a N.O.E. (Nape of the Earth, or *REALLY* low flying) to the attack point.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One could always use the magnetic poles of Stars to hide in, though this is risky as it can fry your own ships electronics. Certain polarized nebulas are great too. Planetary magnetic poles that are strong provide some sensor and electronic cover, but also render the ship in them blind. Then there's always trying to manuever behind a larger ship and into the wake of it's own Ion engines...this will render you almost invisible (works best in a chase).
In chases, keep in mind that if the chasee performs a risky manuever and succeeds, then the chaser must make an equal manuever to maintain his tail (i.e. all those flight manuevers listed in the rules like Bootlegger's turn are more than just eye candy). A particular skilled pilot can easily shake a less skilled pilot (try mixing and matching manuevers...drive the GM crazy >Very Happy)

To escape tractor beams is a little trickeir, you must find something to get between you and the tractor emitter (escape pods, cargo, proton torpedos(generally too small...but they might disable the tractor), concussion missiles, etc...). The novels have used all of the above at some point.
Space chases are too often underplayed in RPG, as too often space is seen as "Vast and empty". A good encounter would usually happen at or near something of interest, like a planet, a starport, etc...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the other problem with using the poles is sometimes that magnetic field can disrupt other circuits/systems, like life support, repulsors... etc!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
And the other problem with using the poles is sometimes that magnetic field can disrupt other circuits/systems, like life support, repulsors... etc!

I would think not. Given the level of shielding on a Star Wars era vessel, and technology, I would feel those systems were shielded from all but extremely powerful Ion or EMP discharges, such as an Ion weapon, or possibly being struck by a solar flare. Given that their is significantly high levels of radiation in intersteller space (which can also play havoc with sensors) and these vessels are shielded to resist it, I would have little effect other than sensors or communications.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had players who used their vacc suits as diving suits and repeatedly parked their ship under the water of a lake or ocean to avoid detection by pusuing Imperials.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I would think not. Given the level of shielding on a Star Wars era vessel, and technology, I would feel those systems were shielded from all but extremely powerful Ion or EMP discharges, such as an Ion weapon, or possibly being struck by a solar flare. Given that their is significantly high levels of radiation in intersteller space (which can also play havoc with sensors) and these vessels are shielded to resist it, I would have little effect other than sensors or communications.

I have to agree with Kage on this one... Ships' systems are pretty well shielded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: