The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Skill: Instruction
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New Skill: Instruction Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
That makes sense. Designing and implementing good drills could make the crew better.

Since I've already done Command Difficulty Modifiers based on crew size, I could conceivably just apply those modifiers to the base Instruction Difficulty for improving the appropriate Crew Skill...

garhkal wrote:
That's what we did in the military.. DRILL, like it was real, so when it WAS real, we knew what to do.

I haven't served, but I've studied enough to know in broad strokes the importance of continuous drilling.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: New Skill Reply with quote

We've talked about a training skill under Perception and I like the idea of that. When thinking about skill training in general (beyond just teaching scholar in an academic setting), I thought that some people are generally better at learning than others, so I considered a learning skill and a mechanic where the trainer rolls a training skill and the learner rolls a learning skill to see how successful the training was.

D6 Space's know-how skill was brought up in this thread (and more recently on the forum here). D6 Space has unskilled penalties and the know-how skill can be used to observe the situation and temporarily reduce the penalties for attribute defaulting. (The skill also represents the skill at figuring out how to perform utilitarian tasks such as sewing or cooking.) I don't have an unskilled penalty in my game, but I do have a softer version of that where trying something new for the first few time may have a temporary unfamiliarity penalty before full attribute defaulting may begin. I can see know-how possibly reducing the duration of the unfamiliarity penalty.

Today I noticed that Star System D6 Plus moved know-how to Knowledge, and I thought maybe expand the skill into learning/know-how so the skill that is also used for learning in general. I'm ok with a character's learning ability (for any skill) being tied to Knowledge - attributes overlap and just about all skills have a "knowledge" aspect to them.

I decided I don't like the idea of reducing CP costs with good training. That could serve as temptation for min-maxing and unbalance the game as some PCs advance faster than others. Looking at RAW training rules, it jumps out at me that a big factor is the training time difference between having a teacher and not – without a teacher is double the training time. So I'd like to just go with a good training possibly reducing the time spent, and maybe even bad rolls increasing the training time. But as of yet I'm not sure about the base training time and the specific mechanic for determining the outcome.

I've decided to go with a normal Perception skill called training – Out of the obvious options, that skill name has the strongest connotation of increasing someone else's skill or performance. But I have been thinking of know-how as just an inherit aspect of the attribute, and I've decided to stay with that even after adding a greater learning aspect. So base Knowledge can be used to reduce unfamiliarity penalty time with unskilled skill use, and it is also used to possibly reduce skill improvement training time in conjunction with a trainer's training skill roll. And to even better reflect that some people are better learner's than others, I'll just add an advantage that provides a bonus to the Knowledge rolls to reduce unfamiliarity penalty time and skill training time.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: New Skill Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Today I noticed that Star System D6 Plus moved know-how to Knowledge

I like this; I'm always on the lookout for ways to make Knowledge a more practical attribute, and moving Know-How to Knowledge is both a good fit and makes Knowledge more useful. As for the rest, I'll need to take the time to fully grok it before I can give you a critique.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: