The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stories set between the first movie and Heir to the Empire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Stories set between the first movie and Heir to the Empire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Stories set between the first movie and Heir to the Empire Reply with quote

This timeframe really is where Star Wars lives and breathes for me. But it's probably been some 25 years since I last read those books and played many of the games from that time.

Anyone feeling confident enough to attempt putting together a complete list of works set in that timeframe?

Star Wars
Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina
Tales from Jabba's Palace
Dark Forces
Rogue Squadron (game)
Rogue Leader
Rebel Strike
The Empire Strikes Back
TIE Fighter
X-Wing Alliance
Shadows of the Empire
By the Emperor's Hand
Return of the Jedi
The Truce at Bakura
Jedi Knight
Rogue Squadron (book)
Wedge's Gamble
The Krytos Trap
The Bacta War
Wraith Squadron
Iron Fist
Solo Command
The Courtship of Princess Leia
Heir to the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command

Those are all that I can remember, but I'm sure there's plenty more. Especially comics, which I barely know anything about.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For novels and pc games, it looks like you got them all..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Stories set between the first movie and Heir to the Empi Reply with quote

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline_of_Legends_books?so=search#Rebellion_era*

Since it seems the ask is only for the EU and not Disney Canon, the above link is just the list of Legends books. Of course there are also many comic books in this era that have a separate list on Wookieepedia.

The OP of this thread does miss several adult novels of the EU, such as Scoundrels, Allegiance, Choices of One (all three by Timothy Zahn), Honor Among Thieves, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Razor's Edge, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, and Tatooine Ghost.

*Wookieepedia has been up and down today, so if the link doesn't work, try again later.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there is no Heir to the Empire in Disney Star Wars, there's also no between. Wink

I actually havn't heard of any of those books, except Splinter of the Minds Eye. Completely forgot about that one.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yora wrote:
This timeframe really is where Star Wars lives and breathes for me. But it's probably been some 25 years since I last read those books and played many of the games from that time.

Anyone feeling confident enough to attempt putting together a complete list of works set in that timeframe?
Yora wrote:
Since there is no Heir to the Empire in Disney Star Wars, there's also no between. Wink

I actually havn't heard of any of those books, except Splinter of the Minds Eye. Completely forgot about that one.

Here, we are tinkerers who modify game mechanics and canons for our games. Many GMs here merge works from both canons into our game worlds. A very popular one I've seen expressed is the merging The Thrawn Trilogy with Disney films. So on the Rancor Pit, it is not so unusual to include both canons in questions. In your ask, you didn't specify canon but you did emphasize timeframe. The timeframe of 0 ABY to 9 ABY exists in both canons, but you weren't explicit about restricting it to the EU. My previous guess based on the particular list you posted was correct.

A real world timeframe differentiation that is also apparent between the books you posted and the books I named is publishing timeframe. So except for SotME, you've only heard of 90s books in this timeline range and not anything post-90s? Did they stop releasing Star Wars books in Germany after 1999 so you didn't they know kept publishing Legends books in this timeline era until 2014? If you were aware of a real life cut-off year in your own knowledge of EU books, you could have also mentioned that in the OP.

The list of Legends books in the link I shared in my above reply is a very handy tool. You can filter out certain types of content (such as youth or child content) and you can also change the book order in each era, such as making it list them by publication date instead of timeline order. It seems that this thread is just asking for information that is readily available on Wookieepedia. As the forum guideline "Do your research" states, "Wookieepedia is your friend." Wink
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just stopped reading when most new books that came out were post Rebel-Empire stories or clone wars stories. Didn't feel much like Star Wars anymore.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: