The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Adeventure help with a new character joining
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Adeventure help with a new character joining Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roguesquad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Adeventure help with a new character joining Reply with quote

A;lright, i have a science exploration team going into an unexplored area of space. They come across a savage, why does the savage join the crew?

Simple, but i need some good reasons, and not just because he wants to see more things. It needs to be for a reason.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is his race an established part of the world? Maybe they're going south, so to speak. They've fallen into a death spiral and have tried everything they can find on their own world to cure themselves, so they vote to send said character off-world to seek a cure among the stars.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would depend on the nature of the savage and what interaction he's had with the team.
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the savage is a player, this should be a question the player is answering to you. If the player can't find their objective or motive for being in the game, chances are they'll follow along somewhat aimlessly. The players need to know 'what am I doing here?' and 'what does my character want? what am I going for in this scene' in order to roleplay.

If it's an NPC, maybe the savage knows of legends that actually have some bearing on what the science team is exploring. Perhaps his race wasn't always primitive, but came to be that way because of a disaster or simply because they thought that the way their technology was progressing would eventually lead to their own destruction.

Another idea might be, perhaps the reason the race is savage is because they were conquered long ago by a now extinct race of beings who enslaved and supressed other races in the region. The savage might know how to operate pieces of their technology that were left behind, or might know how to read their particularly difficult written language, making him a valuable addition to the science team for any remaining artifacts the conqueror's might have left which could hold some clue to what they're actually studying (or astrogation charts of the region, etc. Scouting unknown regions for save hyperspace routes can be very time consuming and treacherous).

Then again, maybe while they're on the planet, the players made some sort of cultural blunder and now the savage has something similar to a wookiee life-debt to the players due to some obscure legal or ceremonial rite. The savage must now accompany the players or he risks losing his honor and possibly his life.
roguesquad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the ideas. To answer a few questions, the savage is a PC, and the interaction is zero so far. I'm running all "groups" seperately at the moment. (actually, it's four groups, but the three groups have similar goals, it's just the fourth group which contains the savage that I would like to have a reason to leave the planet that I want to be sure is a solid link.)

As to the nature of the beast, there is lots of technology already on the planet, it's just that there are various groups that view the technology as getting away from nature. Think sort of a Hudderite type colony where the tech is less than other cities.

The ideas are making me think of the player being needed to hlp get a cure for his people. But combining it with a bit of a twist since the savages could have developed on another planet, and the ruins of that planet contain secrets needed for the cure.

A bit of a twist, but an applicable reason to travel.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the idea of their not having a choice. Something happens to the savage to put him on the ship or what not and no one knows he's there until it's too late and their already too far away from where he lives and the places he knows. This might mean that the savage may have to join against his will if it means possibly getting back home.

Wanted Poster
roguesquad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good too. Like the crew is forced to take off with the savage on board, and no time to turn around and drop the savage off.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or perhaps he simply befriends one of them, or like Chewie and Han, has a life debt to another character. Maybe one of the other characters saves his life in an attack by an opposing tribe or during a flood or an earthquake, or....

Sorry, I gets excited when thinking up ideas! Very Happy
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Look, I know this area better than you guys, so if you want some help, you need me to go along with you."

"Ok, what do you want in return?"

"I want to see the stars, explore just like you have had, and to bring my people cures and tools to make their lives easier... also, I could really use that holographic chess thingy, I get bored easily."
to finance my 'vette!
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The savage is their guide. He trades how to survive the hundred fanged beast for a ride. The savage has met other spacers and he wants to fly among the stars. The savage needs to find his sister who was taken offworld by slavers. The PCs need a mook who doesn't have any Imperial ID. The PCs can get 500 credits per show of the "wild man". A noble on Corellia offers 1,000 credits to anyone who can identify a male hundred fanged beast from a female one. A Balmorran genetics research laboratory offers 500 credits for "primitive" blood samples as they search for a way to correct their planet's pollution induced effects. The savage speaks Twilekki, the PCs don't. Well, you get the idea...

Last edited by Volar the Healer on Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh! I like the find the sister one! That sounds perfect!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
Ooh! I like the find the sister one! That sounds perfect!

Yeah, that one tickled my fancy as well. You could even extend it to be more than just your sister, which would allow this player a reason for a good, LOOOOOONNNNG adventure with his newfound friends. Perhaps the new friends might have even seen a new crew of slavers on another raid, beating their new acquisitions, one or two of whom could be related to the savage, and now the slaver crew has been shot up by the PCs, who could've just acquired a new ship as well as a new savage. (They could perhaps even train the savage to pilot the new ship, giving him an opportunity to break away from them at some point down the road with a means of transportation- at least a way to get his family home. You get the idea...)
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I know I am late to the party, but here's my ideas.
You say you don't want the "To see the stars" answer, which is the most common. Many of the other answers all have good ideas, and by combining elements, their could be an excellant story oportunity.

The savage, being on his own quest to find X (his sister, a cure for some disease, someone to help fight off a party of raiders attacking his technologically inferrior people, etc...) runs into the rest of the PCs. The PCs need some help (they've blundered into the nest of some local beast, are about to eat some poisonous plant, etc...and the savage knows a way to help). So the savage, not being a bad person, helps them out. In return, the PCs attempt to help the savage out. Well, this angers the village leaders, as seeing the savage with these evil users of forbidden technology fear he will undermine their community, so he is banished. Now the savage is sadened and has no where to go. He could team up with the PCs (up to player) or it will be a short lived character in the campaign.

Just a few thoughts.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really good idea, Kage! Give the savage an IRONCLAD reason to be jumping on the first ship leaving. Hopefully he won't turn into a Jar Jar kind of character... Rolling Eyes
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the savage is a outcast and needs political asylum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: