The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Critical damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Critical damage Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Critical damage Reply with quote

IIRC, in d20, if a player gets a 20 on an attack roll, the player is able to inflict critical damage on the enemy in addition to the standard damage. How does that translate to d6?

How do I determine if during an attack roll the character inflicts critical damage to the target? Do I roll a wild die? Let's say a character has melee combat 3D. If the player rolls for that character and gets 3 "6's", does that mean the character lands a critical hit?

And if I do land a critical hit, how do I determine damage? In d20, I see an entry saying, "deals an additional 1-6 points of damage on a critical hit." I convert it as: on a critical hit, add 1D6 additional damage. If in d20 I see 1-8 points of damage, in d6 it's 1D6+2. Is that right? I don't need to something seemingly outrageous like double damage on a critical hit unless it says so in d20 stats.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't, really. D6 has the Wild Dice mechanic, with its various iterations. A Critical Hit happens when you get a Cascading Wild on Damage and inflict way more damage than you ought to be able to. The Rulebooks don't have anything about super-accurate shots translating into increased damage, but there is an Optional Rule on pg. 58 of Rules of Engagement that allows for something like that. They suggest two different variants: a 1-for-1 and and 1-for-5 bonus. Personally, I prefer a 1-for-3 bonus. YMMV.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I was wrong using the blaster skill. That's not what I'm asking about.

I'm asking in regards to the lightsaber section of my Force Compendium. I know in KOTORII, the player can add special power cells, focusing lens, and blade emitters to the lightsaber to give the lightsaber blade additional properties - fire damage, ion damage, etc. I'm incorporating that into my work, and I'm trying to convert from d20 to d6 what was listed on GameFaqs about what you can make during the game from the workbench and add to your weapons and armor. Changing the added damage from d20 to d6, I can do to a point. Energy +1? I say increase lightsaber damage by +1. Add 1-6 fire damage? Add +1D6 fire damage to the lightsaber damage. If something allows the lightsaber to inflict +1-3 or +1-4 electricity damage, how would I do that? +1-8 electricity damage I convert to +1D6+2 electricity damage, right?

There are also other properties that I don't know how to convert. One property is "Keen". What did that do in the KOTORII game, and how do I convert it to d6?

Another thing is Massive Critical 1-3, 1-6, 1-8, which is what I meant to ask about originally. I'm thinking Massive Critical as the following: the player rolls a 20, he inflicts a critical hit adding 1-3 points of damage. Right?

Then consider this:
DC-1, Slow DC10 25% for 2 rds

DC is Defense Class. The closest we have to that in d6 is the protection provided by any armor the character is wearing. So DC -1? My interpretation: decrease the protection offered by any armor the character might be wearing by -1. No armor, no penalty. As for Slow DC10 25% for 2 rounds, I don't know how to apply DC10, but my interpretation: slows the target's Move by 25% for 2 rounds.

Am I making proper conversions here? I'll be using that other thread Darklighter79 referred me to for the lightsaber crystals.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an alternative but still official Hit location system, with some of these things taken into consideration.

In addition to the wild dice they have bodyparts taking hits, and body parts "stop working" when hit too badly
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
There is an alternative but still official Hit location system, with some of these things taken into consideration.

In addition to the wild dice they have bodyparts taking hits, and body parts "stop working" when hit too badly

That's vague. What specifically are you referring to?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

That's vague. What specifically are you referring to?

2ED REup pg 98. COmbat Oprtions.

here we have a to hit location, with effects on injuries, however it is not a critical system like in the D20 systems, but with the hit location table and the penalties listed and reasobal ones added by GM I would say you have your critical hit effects and "rules" for your game.
as of the RAW pr 2ED REUP the Hit Location systems under combat options is mybe the closest
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
2ED REup pg 98. COmbat Oprtions.

here we have a to hit location, with effects on injuries, however it is not a critical system like in the D20 systems, but with the hit location table and the penalties listed and reasobal ones added by GM I would say you have your critical hit effects and "rules" for your game.
as of the RAW pr 2ED REUP the Hit Location systems under combat options is mybe the closest

The Severe Injuries game option on R&E p.98 has nothing to do with Hit Location. Severe Injuries is when a character causes enough damage to kill, the character can choose to cause a serious, permanent injury instead.

R&E's optional pre-damage Hit Location rules are located on p.95, 96, and 234. In RAW, the only purpose for them is for armor that only protects certain parts of the body. Not that a GM couldn't use Hit Location to help determine what someone's specific Severe Injury is. I use an interpretive post-damage hit location system that has always worked well for me.

CRM's post above hits at the D6 version of d20's "Natural 20". Wild die 'explosions' on 6s, and the optional skill damage bonus. Personally I don't feel lightsabers need anything more than this.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hit locations has been covered more or less by the Marks of Contact.

Can anyone still tell me what Massive Critical and Keen are about? If I knew about them, then I can probably get a conversion out of them.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Can anyone still tell me what Massive Critical and Keen are about?

I have never heard of either of these in the context of SWD6.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Critical damage Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Forceally wrote:
IIRC, in d20, if a player gets a 20 on an attack roll, the player is able to inflict critical damage on the enemy in addition to the standard damage. How does that translate to d6?
It doesn't, really. D6 has the Wild Dice mechanic, with its various iterations. A Critical Hit happens when you get a Cascading Wild on Damage and inflict way more damage than you ought to be able to. The Rulebooks don't have anything about super-accurate shots translating into increased damage, but there is an Optional Rule on pg. 58 of Rules of Engagement that allows for something like that. They suggest two different variants: a 1-for-1 and and 1-for-5 bonus. Personally, I prefer a 1-for-3 bonus. YMMV.

That's the closest i've seen... It doesn't. 1st and 2nd edition d6 really didn't have a critical hit system, though you CAN Mirror it somewhat, via the Rules of Engagement book's rule on Die pooling.

One other option i've seen, was smoeone who had a HR, that if you score a hit with a 4 or less under max (Ie 25-29 on 5d6), WITHOUT the wild die exploding, you added 1d to damage..
If you went Over max due to the wild die exploding, you went 2d above damage. BUT HE dropped that rule after 3 or 4 game sessions.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Forceally wrote:
Can anyone still tell me what Massive Critical and Keen are about?

I have never heard of either of these in the context of SWD6.

If someone has the Prima Strategy Guide for the game, they can look up what's said in there about those two, write them here in the forums, and then we can take a stab at converting them to d6.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF i remember rightly, Keen items were more like WEapons of quality.. which had a better damage value, or had an easier time of hitting (+1 to hit, +1 or 2 to damage)..
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IF i remember rightly, Keen items were more like WEapons of quality.. which had a better damage value, or had an easier time of hitting (+1 to hit, +1 or 2 to damage)..

keen from D20?

it give the weapon a sharper edge and a higher "threat range" meaning it is easier to confirm a critical.

normally a sword would confirm a critical (after the critical roll) with rolling vs 18-20, keen makes this 17-20 and thus a much deadlier blade
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That certainly sounds like what the OP was on about.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I can see how that can apply to a vibroblade or an ordinary sword. But a lightsaber? Perhaps a "Keen" lightsaber ignores any armor the opponent might be wearing, thus the target suffers the full 5D damage. Natural armor still applies.

As for Massive Critical, maybe that's saying you add 1-3, 1-4, or 1-8 to the damage inflicted by a critical hit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: