The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New force tradition..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> New force tradition.. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: New force tradition.. Reply with quote

Not sure if it goes here. But oh well.

Shadow warriors.

This order of force users has only been around, for around 300 years. It started out from a Jedi who got disgruntled with the order, and left. He did research on the dark side, but when he realized he was starting to slip towards it, he stopped. A little later, he encountered a pair of Force users from the order of the Bendai (who cherish balance between the light and dark).. He studied under them for 40 years, and then left.
8 years later he started his own order of force users, set up to protect the planet he had come to call home. This order, seeks to protect its people at all cost, much like the Jenessari do, and will use both light and dark side powers to do so (which to them is not dark side). BUT they also have several force powers unique to their culture (influenced by one of the native species on the planet).

These force powers, soon overtook their own abilities, and form the core of their order, though they still have some other force powers…

Recently, the order detected a wave of darkness rising (the emperor and his hunters). Strange to them, they do not show up on the hunters ‘’radar screen’ when using their ‘shadow powers’, but do when using regular ones. They have now decided to take a look at the outside world, and see who are enemies and who are not….

Shadow warriors, can access most force powers (other than straight up dark side ones like tk kill, force lightning), and have the following unique ones. EACH of these have their own cost and ‘force skill’ linked to it (the power itself).

Shadow punch.
Difficulty to use: Easy Plus range, or dodge of the target.
This is a form of telekinesis, used to actually hit at a distance, like the force push seen in the prequel trilogy. It has a range penalty like a blaster would, as for the diff (short range is at normal diff for the power, medium is at +8 to the diff, long is at +16). It does PERCEPTION in damage +1 for every die in shadow punch. It can be dodged like a regular blaster attack. There is no cost to use this power, other than a normal action.

Shadow envelopment.
Difficulty to use: Difficult or perception roll of target (sense for force users). Modified by proximity and relationship.
This power, can cause death to the target. If successfully USED (resistance will stop it), it lasts for 5 rounds. It starts off, with having the shadows around/near the target seeming to flow around him/her/it, blocking it and wrapping it up. While wrapped up, all the target can do is wait it out. Each round, he must make a stamina check (starting at 16, then increasing 6 per round) or suffer a wound. After 5 rounds, the shadows dissipate.
This power costs a CP to use/bring into existence for ONE scene. It can be used more than once, as long as it is in the same combat.

Shadow dancing.
Difficulty to use: Heroic.
This power allows the user to ‘dance’ between shadows, effectively making short teleports/hops. If successfully pulled off, he can do 2 ‘ports’ per round, with the power staying up for 1 round for every 3 (or part thereof) he beats the difficulty by. He can c
choose to ‘port’ if he has the initiave, and hit someone from behind as a ‘free action’ (suffering –2d to his brawl or melee skill). Since he appears to disappear, anyone he does try to attack (as well as the rest of the group) need to make, a mid level difficult (17) perception roll to notice him, else his attack is considered as a surprise attack. BUT his second ‘port’ cannot be used to do this again. He can ‘port’ up to 30 meters each time.
HE MUST HAVE AMPLE shadows around to do this. (minimum level of moderate or better. If the level of shadows is high, add 3 to his roll. If thick add 6 to his roll).
This power costs 1 force point to use for one combat scene.

Enhance the shadows.
Difficulty to use: Base 10 (15 if starting out at none), plus 5 per additional ‘step’ desired.
This power, actually creates shadows where there are none, or some (if there are some, it makes more). THIS IS A TAXING power, and as such takes 3d off from any other actions in the round, and any round it is maintained. There are 5 levels of shadows… None, minor, moderate, high and thick. If making shadows from none, it is harder to do than when there are some. The GM has the decision on what makes each level.
Cost. 2CP. This power can be kept up.

Shadow mark.
Difficulty to use: Moderate plus perception (control roll of force users). Modified by proximity and relationship.
This power will mark a person as being an enemy to the shadow warriors. It will last until the person who put it on decides to remove it. It is only discernable to other shadow warriors, though other force users MIGHT (at the gms decision) be able to see it with a high sense roll (25+).
No cost to use.

If anyone has any thoughts on how i can flesh them out more, let me know..
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty boring and cliche to me.

The reason why the Star Wars universe appeals to me so much is partly because of the absence of things like this.

"Shadow Warriors"?

I've never heard that term before, anywhere... Rolling Eyes

Now, I don't mean to demean the work you put into this, and I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. But this just seems like a rehash of other concepts.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingenious uses of energy manipulation can lead to these powers. Though the backstory and nomenclature is a bit unnecesary.
to finance my 'vette!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
Ingenious uses of energy manipulation can lead to these powers. Though the backstory and nomenclature is a bit unnecesary.

I was thinking along those same lines, Boomer!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, aren't there "Shadows" in the TOTJ Companion? Sure, the Jedi as a "whole" were wiped out... but there are ways for this group to have survived. If you don't have this companion, I highly recommend it- especially if you are really into the Jedi. If nothing else, it could give you some ideas for modern-day Jedi characters.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure the Jedi Shadow fits what their talking about, though. Their kinda like spies as their devoted to gathering information on the activities of dark siders, often going undercover as followers of the dark siders.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. I was thinking more of a NON jedi tradition of force users, similar to the Jenessari, who use both light and dark side powers to defend their planet and way of life.... And some of those powers have developed into the ability to manipulate shadows as a result...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you could do that.

You also could, if you wanted to have to come up with less in the way of history, say that one or two (or more) of these Jedi Shadows eventually formed their own branch-off, either because their numbers were dwindling or a difference of opinion or whatever. Perhaps a couple got married, had kids, and taught their ways to the kids as tradition, which spawned a whole new Force tradition. It's feasible, at least.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not want to go that route, as i think there are more than enough offshots of force users who started as jedi....
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way. Just trying to give you some options in case you run up against problems.
Revan
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternative Jedi traditons have always to start with a Jedi that disliked/disgruntled the order? Could the Shadow Warriors have started in a way like the Mon-Calamari? Or being adepts of some kind of religion?
Keep on with your work and I'm sure you'll make the Shadow Warriors a good alternative path to the force.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, there's got to be infinite ways for a totally separate tradition to start out. The Dathomiri witches are a prime example. Even though they had CONTACT with the Jedi some time ago, they weren't STARTED by or from them. They just learned and used it their own way. I just wanted to make sure garkhal has some options he can at least pick bits and pieces from if needed...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. And yes that is what i was more of going for. A force using tradition that has not sprung from the jedi but do know of them...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understandable. Would you consider perhaps some younger Jedi from long ago- say a Padawan- who was on some mission... he encounters someone from the local population who's completely enamored with him... He teaches this person a little about the Force, because he senses a bit of sensitivity in them- just enough to get them started. The Padawan leaves soon after, not having had the chance to lay the proper foundation for teaching this person the Force in the Jedi tradition, but they've opened this person's eyes to the Force. The person then goes forward and continues to touch the Force as best they can. They study it, feel its ebb and flow, and learn to manipulate it. In time this person gets some students, whose different perspective lends new insight into ways to use the Force. Their studies and methods evolve, but the population at large becomes suspicious of them- either in spite of their good deeds because of their power, or perhaps because some of these Force users are a little less scrupulous than they ought to be. Whatever the reason, this enclave then focuses their studies on the ways of concealment and shadow. They concentrate on these concepts, building a complete Force tradition over the idea of cloaking themselves in shadow and darkness (not to be confused with the dark side, mind you.) They learn and develop abilities that basically straddle the normal boundaries of light and dark; they fall into the gray area between that most Jedi insist does not exist. These Shadows could still be protectors, forced to work in secret for fear of being caught and destroyed. That would give them the motives for the ways they use the Force, and would explain why they could freely do certain things that might give regular Jedi DSPs.

Or you could take the same basic story line, but instead of having the Force introduced by a Jedi Padawan, perhaps some enterprising individual actually managed to touch the Force on their own- maybe it was a near-death experience. Perhaps they originally touched the Force during a moment of extreme stress- and were somehow able to utilize it to escape their predicament. This person then continued exploring it, studying it, and learning how to manipulate it. From there, he gets students, they learn, etc. etc. as above.

Anyway, there's a couple sketchy beginning ideas.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh. I like that idea. Thanks Skyler..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: