The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New force tradition..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> New force tradition.. Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

np. I've spent time thinking about how a separate Force tradition could start up as well. Happy to help!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't really seem to have that Star Wars feel to it. When I read over the powers and abilities, my first thoughts are reminiscent of things I have seen in ninja and martial arts games for ninja magic, and my second thought is that a few of them are really off balanced (with either permanent effects where there shouldn't be, or low target number for an powerful effect). I'm not trying to be argumentative or disbarraging, I just feel this doesn't fit well into star wars. Many of the effects can be achieved already with existing force powers, and others should be much more difficult to achieve at all.

While teleportation via shadow is a neet trick, it has been used too often in the realm of fantasy and has become almost cliche in it's own. While it should be possible to do almost anything with the force, the act of material transposition (teleporting) should be really tricky, requiring all three skills to be used, and should have some serious difficulties based on distance, weight, etc...

As for offshoots of the force traditions, there are just too many popping up everywhere these days IMHO. I am sure that Dark Jedi, Sith, and other dark side users most likely are almost cult like in organization though, being always hunted, and needing to be secretive.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what suggestions do you have to make those powers more balanced?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me read over them again, and put a little thought on them.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your time. Though the only one, i do feel should not be changed that much is that 'shadow envelopment' one... although i could see a name change.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda have to agree with Kage on the teleportation one. It is kinda cliche, and while I personally can definitely see my clear to allowing a LOT more leeway than your average Joe when it comes to the Force, I think I'd draw a line there. If you're going to do it anyway, I think to be fair that it should be so hard to do that it literally wipes the individual out for the rest of the day, or for say 3D6 hours, maybe even more. I say this because it's matter manipulation on such a grand scale that it should be uber taxing. In the novels, Luke Skywalker and Kyp Durron both pulled a stunt with the Yuuzhan Vong's dovin basals, the creatures that manipulate gravity. The creatures had a huge gravity void soaking up laserfire from the New Republic ships. The Jedi went deep into the Force, found the void, and physically turned it around so that it sucked in the ship projecting it. The effort left Luke almost completely drained, and Kyp not quite so drained... but it was like a Heroic + difficulty for them to accomplish. I think the teleportation gig ought to be at least as difficult, if not more so.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting point, though that portation power is limited in range.... Hows about each time you jump, you suffer 1 'wound' and when you rack up 3 in a specific time frame, you drop.....
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea. Might want to make it two Wounds, to signify the extremity of the fatigue. And it ought to be something the Jedi couldn't just will away through the Force...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, now i have had time to think on my response, i have to argue against my own point made... Giving this ability, who i invision it's sole purpose, as being to allow the shadow warrior to 'teleport' behind a taarget for sneak strikes; wounds would negate the dropping in behind them part of it...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this, I have had a lot going on (in my head at least) these last weeks. One thing I am fuzzy on, is which force skills each of these powers uses? It does not list them. I will read them over tomorrow after I get out of work and give them deeper thought, as promised. While the teleportation power could be a neat trick, I do feel it is too easily used, and seems to just be a collection of combat bonuses in the end. I have a few ideas about it, I will expout them later (tomorrow). As for the Shadow Mark, I feel it should not be invisible to force users, and/or should not require such a high dificulty to detect by a force user, as it uses the force, and all force uses create "ripples" in the force. While I can certainly understand that someone unfamiliar with it might not recognize it for what it really is, they should be aware of this "unatural" force stain upon someone (perhaps Sense vs. the mark's creator's Control?). From there, I would say maybe a Jedi/Sith/Force Lore skill roll of suiteable difficulty to determine if they understand the mark would be more fair. I'll give more detailed thoughts later.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this, I have had a lot going on (in my head at least) these last weeks. One thing I am fuzzy on, is which force skills each of these powers uses? It does not list them. I will read them over tomorrow after I get out of work and give them deeper thought, as promised. While the teleportation power could be a neat trick, I do feel it is too easily used, and seems to just be a collection of combat bonuses in the end. I have a few ideas about it, I will expout them later (tomorrow). As for the Shadow Mark, I feel it should not be invisible to force users, and/or should not require such a high dificulty to detect by a force user, as it uses the force, and all force uses create "ripples" in the force. While I can certainly understand that someone unfamiliar with it might not recognize it for what it really is, they should be aware of this "unatural" force stain upon someone (perhaps Sense vs. the mark's creator's Control?). From there, I would say maybe a Jedi/Sith/Force Lore skill roll of suiteable difficulty to determine if they understand the mark would be more fair. I'll give more detailed thoughts later.

At first, i was thinking of basing it like the Witches of Dathomir, by having each new power, having it';s own skill dice, then i though about making a general one called 'Shadows" which acts like control/sense etc, but is only for those powers above...

As to the mark one, i like your thoughs. What IYO should the diff be?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

At first, i was thinking of basing it like the Witches of Dathomir, by having each new power, having it';s own skill dice, then i though about making a general one called 'Shadows" which acts like control/sense etc, but is only for those powers above...

If they only need to increase 1 skill, and only need to roll 1 skill, I think all of the difficulties should be at least one or two levels higher, otherwise it would unbalance them against other Jedi and force users. Just my thoughts. Especially since for some of the powers, I would see a regular Jedi needing to use all three skills, meaning -2D in MAPs right there (like anything near a teleport ability I would require all 3 skills, and some high difficulties too).

Quote:
As to the mark one, i like your thoughs. What IYO should the diff be?

As a base rule of thumb in situations like this, I would either make it easy to moderate, or an opposed roll. If the force user who placed the mark tried to conceal it, then definately an opposed roll to detect it (beat the orriginal skill roll of the shadow force user). Seeing the mark, wouldn't nessescarily mean the Jedi knows what it means though (perhaps a force lore skill roll with suitable difficulty), he would simply know the being is marked by darkness, and may even mistake it for the stain of the dark side (on a fumbled force lore skill roll for example).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would making each one it's own power (like the dathomirian witches) be better?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly, but I never really cared for the Dathomirian witches, or the series of novels they were from. I found the official game stats for them equally dissapointing. But that's my opinion.

My main concern is that by lumping in 1 new force skill that allows effects mimicking all three existing skills, you will unbalance the force use in the game. With so many people already complaining that it is unbalanced, this will exacerbate things. However, in the end, it is your game universe, so it is really up to you how to handle things.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let me do a little revamping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: