The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Surprise, you're the GM tonight!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Surprise, you're the GM tonight!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Surprise, you're the GM tonight! Reply with quote

By my senior year in high school, I was king of the nerds. Before 12th grade I had been running two simultaneous campaigns of WEG Star Wars (with two different player groups of other 'smart kids'). The drama club/peacenik clique, the other major group of roleplayers in my school, were mainly into AD&D 2e and Call of Cthulhu 4e, but they liked the Star Wars movies and had heard of my legendary GM abilities because my players recounted their weekend adventures at lunch.

One week a couple drama kids invited me to a "party" on Friday night but asked me to bring my Star Wars stuff 'so they could look at it.' When I got there I quickly realized that high school actors had finagled me into running an adventure for a total 12 players who had showed up. I didn't know most of the players too well but I accepted the unexpected challenge. I told everyone the template types they could choose from, and passed out printed character templates I luckily had with me. We quickly allocated starting still dice and pulled an all nighter to play a truncated version of Tatooine Manhunt, which I had only run once before this. (There was no alcohol but the mountain dew flowed). They loved it, and despite me not being in theater or into REM and U2, I had acquired a third player group. (But I only ever ran one more adventure with all 12 players, because it was always a 'whoever showed up' thing). With that group I got occasional breaks from running Star Wars when one their usual GMs would run D&D or Cthulhu for us (which they also kept playing without me when I was with one of my other Star Wars groups). Over 30 years later, I am still friends with a lot of my high school players.

I think that was the only time I was ever unexpectedly the GM. I prefer to plan ahead. But I don't care for being a player so I am almost always the GM anyway.

Has anyone else ever had to run a Star Wars adventure when you weren't even expecting to be the GM? How did it go?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No alcohol, but the Mountain Dew flowed? You guys must have been up all night. Shocked

I've never been in a situation where I had to unexpectedly take over as GM. Truth be told, I've only been the GM once when I tried to run Exalted since I couldn't find an Exalted game anywhere near me. It turned out...poorly.

I much prefer being a player to a GM. I'd love to run my lawyer-turned-smuggler in a SWD6 campaign someday.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
No alcohol, but the Mountain Dew flowed? You guys must have been up all night. Shocked

Indeed, thus the session being described as an "all nighter." Now I've run Tatooine Manhunt six times total, and it normally takes at least two long sessions. I had to remove a lot of the desert stuff to get through the adventure in one long night.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been HANDED a book to read so i 'could be DM' for a group of players, for shadow run.. BUT that group never got off the floor as the leader of that group (and the one who gave me the book) got a DUI and went to poki, 2 others deployed, then med discharged when they got back..
That's the CLOSEST i have had to being 'on the spot recruited' for GMing duties, Regular wise.
Convention wise, i've had three times now, where i was slated to play a game, but the DM for it had a med emergency, and i got corraled into being the DM for that slot... Luckily i had my collection of modules i own/made and others, so i could DM easily.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had to run an impromptu SW session, but I have done it before with another game system, the superhero RPG Villains & Vigilantes.
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not with Star Wars, but Vampire the Masquerade...
I was staying with a friend in Pittsburgh while attending Pittsburgh ComicCon.
He & his housemates were all college students in late teens & early twenties; i was a bit older, about mid-20s. Anyway, my friend had told them about the games i had run, and so they talked me into running a VtM game.
The real surprise for me, was they all made Sabbat characters.
I have to that point only had Sabbat as antagonists/NPCs, i had not played in any Sabbat game.
Where the core game focuses on the Camarilla faction - vampires struggling to retain their Humanity - there were books for playing & running Sabbat groups. I had none of those at that point.
Sabbat are definitely the Darksiders of VtM.
I bit down my shock & used calming exercises, them i just winged it, running a 'normal' game with abnormal characters...
It was amusing having them meet & interact with an ancient vampire god after he had killed another ancient vampire god, and attempting to claim the MacGuffin ancient tome... they had done & played well, so Anubis gave them a different magical tome; one less dangerous than what Anubis was taking, but it was one more accessible to the characters & would advance their skills in Blood Magic for years to come.
I have recently reconnected with Jordan, who appears to be in Japan now...
I'll never forget the two Thaumaturges of the group; characters Johnny Mannin & Cash Black...
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Sabbat characters ran into Anubis? Or they ran into Sutekh AKA the Setite Antediliuvian? I don't recall any vampire (of any Generation) named Anubis but if your Sabbat characters had a run-in with Set himself, that must have been an interesting game. Shocked

And running a Sabbat game without having any Sabbat sourcebooks takes a sturdy set of cojones. I salute you, sir.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have told them "I have no info for Sabbat characters, so i can't RUN a game for them"..
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Your Sabbat characters ran into Anubis? Or they ran into Sutekh AKA the Setite Antediliuvian? I don't recall any vampire (of any Generation) named Anubis but if your Sabbat characters had a run-in with Set himself, that must have been an interesting game. Shocked

And running a Sabbat game without having any Sabbat sourcebooks takes a sturdy set of cojones. I salute you, sir.

i hope i have some surviving notes for that session, which i ran in the late '90s/early 2000s, and i am trying to recall details, & where i was in my WoD's timeline.
That game *might* have been when Anubis Diablerized the Scorpion King, becoming a 4th Gen Vampire, or possibly the Diablerie of Set/Sutekh, even. Though it was probably the former, not the latter...
I'll have to ask Jordan.
What i do recall was #### was going down in a major Pyramid in Mexico City...

Thank you!

garhkal wrote:
I'd have told them "I have no info for Sabbat characters, so i can't RUN a game for them"..

Ironically i was eventually playing in a Sabbat group, & i wanted a Star Wars-inspired character, so i made a Tremere Antitribu for the powers. Nick, the GM/Storyteller had a, disturbing, take on Jedi Mages. To get their Lightsabers they had to {CENSORED} by Master Ben-Wah... I used a shortcut; i killed a Jedi & took his saber. So i was a Sabbat Jedi...

Edit: it might have been Chris Benoit, as in the wrestler, not Ben-Wah..., that was the Master ..,
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.

Last edited by Inquisitor1138 on Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember an Aztec pyramid from Diablerie: Mexico, which was a 1st Edition adventure that had a 4th Generation Baali vampire, but that's probably not the adventure you had. I never read Mexico City By Night (and Mexico City is where the HQ of the Sabbat is located) , so maybe your adventure was from that book instead.

So you made a Tremere Antitribu character? That must have been interesting. Too bad about the entire bloodline (almost all 100 of them!) getting fwooshed in a single night. I forget which books mentioned this, but it was said that the Tremere Antitribu was a very small bloodline of only 100 members and they had all gathered in one of their underground warrens for a magic ritual. After the rest of the Sabbat had lost contact with the Tremere Antitribu, they sent agents to investigate. The Sabbat agents found the warren but no trace of the Antitribu...but did find almost 100 human-shaped columns of ash. Oops. No one knows whether the Antitribu's ritual somehow went horribly wrong on its own, the Antitribu's enemies somehow subverted the ritual into burning the Antitribu en mass, or even if the Antitribu were somehow all killed at once via some other method before the ritual even took place. Brrrr....
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: