The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Small Portable Force Screen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Small Portable Force Screen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Small Portable Force Screen Reply with quote

I'm setting up an ambush for my upcoming game, and want two characters to set up a small force field/screen. I'm thinking something not that different from the force shields the Gungans used in Episode I.

The main goal will not so much to protect the individuals holding it, but to make a sort of quick obstacle/wall, as the players are shot at from a nearby rooftop.

Anybody got any kind of stats for something like this? I'm thinking something about 10' tall by 20' wide. Maybe there will be a small portable generator to power it.

It doesn't have to be able to sustain a lot of punishment (if the PCs decide to blast it), but it should be enough to give them pause, if they have the walls of a high building on their right, this screen in front of them, and some ruins blocking their way a little bit to the left (the fire will be from above and to their left as well). The only logical way to go will be back, unless they decide to take out the screen.

Anyone got any ideas on how to handle this game-wise? I'd like to make it up as a piece of equipment with actual stats, if possible.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the Cover and Protection rules on pgs. 93-94 of 2R&E. The energy shield is effectively just virtual Protection. You can also incorporate a holoprojector into it to make the field translucent or opaque to provide partial or total concealment.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the Equipment Chart on pg. 100 of the Star Wars Sourcebook (2E) lists Price, Availability and Strength for Small and Medium Shield Generators. Might be a decent starting point.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Portable Force Screen Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:
Anyone got any ideas on how to handle this game-wise? I'd like to make it up as a piece of equipment with actual stats, if possible.

Use the Cover and Protection rules on pgs. 93-94 of 2R&E. The energy shield is effectively just virtual Protection. You can also incorporate a holoprojector into it to make the field translucent or opaque to provide partial or total concealment.

And for your convenience, Doug, the C&P rules on those pages are available at the direct link below, only very slightly tweaked from RAW.

https://rancorpit.com/jotw/damage.html#Cover%20and%20Protection
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could also have it be a ray shield, so it inflicts damage if the PCs try to physically shove themselves through the barrier.

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering it to be protection, possibly. Of course if someone was able to jump over it (with a jetpack, say), they would easily bypass it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I was considering it to be protection, possibly. Of course if someone was able to jump over it (with a jetpack, say), they would easily bypass it.

Well, yeah, but you’d have the same issue with a metal blast-gate or something similar. The only solution would be to have your scene occur indoors so there’s a ceiling the jet pack can’t fly through.

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. I'm not too concerned. They don't have a Mandalorian anymore, and I'm pretty sure none of the others have a jet pack anyway.

Here's a rough sketch I worked out for the set-up

Never mind. After 3 times resetting my password and then trying to change it, I'm giving up on PostImages. I've rarely found a more frustrating website. Evil or Very Mad [/img]
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took awhile, but I cleaned up my Dropbox so I could post some pics here.

This is the rough sketch of the layout I was going for:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6gfvqs92236v7r/Attach221788_20230122_193346.jpg?dl=0
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is roughly what it should look like (not everything is finalized, and the Talz sniper will be way further away than shown in this pic):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hw08a4lie9k7sga/20230122_220628.jpg?dl=0
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And finally, here is the pic I'm going to share with my players, eventually, once they've seen some of the aliens that ambushed them:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qgqrhxtqqx5dtpz/Attach221853_20230122_201240.jpg?dl=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: