The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dark Side Points
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Dark Side Points Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roguesquad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Dark Side Points Reply with quote

I thought it made more sense to bring this discussion here, instead of an area for discussion about PDF's.

I have read that some people use Dark Side Points (DSP's) like a force point. Essentially allowing both DSP, and force points to be spent on increasing the dice rolls for characters.

I am under the impression the rules state that DSP's are used as a tally for the various evil actions you do. Such as the more evil, the harder it is to atone for one's actions.

If DSP's are used like force points, doesn't that reward evil actions since basically they are getting twice the number of bonuses on rolls?

Other opinions?
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the way I play it, yes, DSPs are indeed a tally of evilness. However, where other people might be coming from is the phenomenon of "Calling on the Dark Side."

This, basically, gives you a DSP and a FP. The FP given must be spent in that round, and can be spent in conjuntion with a normal FP. Depending on how some people word it, that might sound as if a DSP was spent like a FP.

I hope this helps.
roguesquad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you. The rules do state that when calling on the dark side, you get a force point to be spent immediately. (essentially, a "free" force point, with the cost being you add a DSP to your character.)

The reason I bring it up, was someone mentioning they could could spend a force point to double the die rolled, and then spending another DSP to double the doubled die roll.

In other words, your roll might normally be 4D, and they spend a force point to make it 8D, and then they spend a DSP to make it 16D.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, that's really got nothing to do with the official rules. You don't "spend" DSP, the only way to get rid of them is attoning. Now, DSP do grant you some benefits. First there's the whole "calling on the dark side", which gives you a FP for immediate use and a DSP to tally your evil. But for Force users there's also another effect. If you have DSPs, they are always tempting you, offering more power in exchange for your, uh, soul. Whenever rolling a Force Skill, you get a +1D bonus per DSP the character has. If you chose to reject the bonus, all the difficulties are raised one level. If you accept it, you must act with the purer of purer intentions, or else you get another DSP. This rule is not valid of Dark Side characters. I find that this second effect of DSP works great for character development, as he's always struggling to resist the lure of the Dark Side...
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you didn't think I meant you spend a DSP. Perhaps I should have explained differently, the above info on calling on the dark side is what I was talking about.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
roguesquad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must have been a communication error. You thought I was referring to the DSP as force points, and I thought you were referring to force points as DSP?

I guess communications on written posts can be sometimes easily misunderstood. Smile
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the only way to get "quadruple" the amount is to
1. Spend a Force point at the beginning of the round.
and then.
2. Call upon the Dark Side, thereby gaining 1 DSP AND 1 Force Point that must be spent immediately that round.

*If* you had a skill of 4D, and spent that first Force point, then you would double it to 8D. If you then called on the Dark Side to help out (thus gaining 1 DSP and 1 Force Point, that you had to burn immediately) you would again double your skill due to the second Force Point being spent. Thus you would roll 16D.

Granted, immediately after the round is complete, you roll that infamous 1D to see if you "give in" to the Dark Side. Equal or lower than your current DSP people and you are MINE Twisted Evil ---*ahem*, I mean you turn to the Dark Side.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Fp then call the dark side..... THe ultimate in buckets of dice...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Yup. Fp then call the dark side..... THe ultimate in buckets of dice...

Yes, well, fortunately we have that handy-dandy die code simplification chart to tackle that infamously nefarious bucket o' dice...
Lord Aramus
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago, I had a player do that 4 times in a session, and still he did not turn to the dark side Razz

lucky bastage Razz
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Aramus wrote:
Many years ago, I had a player do that 4 times in a session, and still he did not turn to the dark side Razz

lucky bastage Razz

You aren't kidding! Shocked
Lord Aramus
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the same player in my campaign who was so lucky that he single handedly took on 70 tie fighters in an x-wing and came out with barely a scratch.

I swear.. if there are dice gods, then he is an avatar -_-
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's something for sure! Were they his dice, or the GM's? Not that I'd accuse him of cheating, but perhaps he pulled a Qui-Gon... Smile
Darth_Kjeran
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chello1

Gry Sarth wrote:
Now, DSP do grant you some benefits. First there's the whole "calling on the dark side"....

Gry, that's one of the most succint explanations I've ever read for that.....

Thanks!

Tony
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but you also have to remember... What he said is true- from a certain point of view.

"Benefits" here is a rather mixed term, when taking into account ALL the factors...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: