The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Confusion power in Jedi: Survivor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Confusion power in Jedi: Survivor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: Confusion power in Jedi: Survivor Reply with quote

The confusion power in Jedi: Survivor has me stumped. It's definitely a mind-control power, and almost seems like hypnotism in a way. Considering what it does, it's a lot more potent than the standard affect mind power. Cal Kestis's not just making the target come to a wrong conclusion. He's also getting the target to attack a different target or one of its allies.

At the same time, though, Cal's not taking total control of the target's mind, like one would with the control mind power. And besides, confusion only lasts a short time.

So how should I treat confusion? Though Cal does skirt the dark side late in the game, he doesn't seem to do that whenever he uses confusion. So it's not control mind or an application of said power. That leaves two options: treat it like affect mind/an application of affect mind, or treat it as a new power?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s a discussion of Psychological Effects that might give you some ideas.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

When Cal uses confusion on the stormtroopers and animals, he makes them attack their allies or other enemies. So while I appreciate posting that link, it doesn't describe what happens in the game.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go to D&D and look for a confusin spell there to get a good RPG working on how the spell works mechanically.

As to SWD6 I would think the power is very powerful and a full ACS power like Mind Trick and telekinetic kill.

Exerpt Text for Confusion spell.

"A confused character who can’t carry out the indicated action does nothing but babble incoherently. Attackers are not at any special advantage when attacking a confused character. Any confused character who is attacked automatically attacks its attackers on its next turn, as long as it is still confused when its turn comes. Note that a confused character will not make attacks of opportunity against any creature that it is not already devoted to attacking (either because of its most recent action or because it has just been attacked). "

Now to make somone attack others,

I would look to Foe to Firend also from Pathfider/D&D

Exerpt text for Foe to Friend Spell.

!Cast this spell when an enemy is about to make an attack against an ally. The creature makes the attack against a valid target of your choice instead or the attack is negated. In addition, the target is considered an ally for determining flanking for 1 round."

The latter here seems ot allow the caster to "select/Choose" the target

The spells are of the following levels
Spell Level 4 Confusion (wizard/Scorcerer)
Spell level 5 Foe to Friend (Bard)

Both uing WILL Saving throws here, as they appear to be "mental related" spells.

Not sure how to do this SWD6, perhaps mix the two in effect, make it possible to resist and on a high enough sucess, you can choose, on the lower sucess you simply cause a confusion that interrupts and offers penalties and maybe even loss of actions.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I would go to D&D and look for a confusin spell there to get a good RPG working on how the spell works mechanically.

As to SWD6 I would think the power is very powerful and a full ACS power like Mind Trick and telekinetic kill.

Exerpt Text for Confusion spell.

"A confused character who can’t carry out the indicated action does nothing but babble incoherently. Attackers are not at any special advantage when attacking a confused character. Any confused character who is attacked automatically attacks its attackers on its next turn, as long as it is still confused when its turn comes. Note that a confused character will not make attacks of opportunity against any creature that it is not already devoted to attacking (either because of its most recent action or because it has just been attacked). "

Now to make somone attack others,

I would look to Foe to Firend also from Pathfider/D&D

Exerpt text for Foe to Friend Spell.

!Cast this spell when an enemy is about to make an attack against an ally. The creature makes the attack against a valid target of your choice instead or the attack is negated. In addition, the target is considered an ally for determining flanking for 1 round."

The latter here seems ot allow the caster to "select/Choose" the target

The spells are of the following levels
Spell Level 4 Confusion (wizard/Scorcerer)
Spell level 5 Foe to Friend (Bard)

Both uing WILL Saving throws here, as they appear to be "mental related" spells.

Not sure how to do this SWD6, perhaps mix the two in effect, make it possible to resist and on a high enough sucess, you can choose, on the lower sucess you simply cause a confusion that interrupts and offers penalties and maybe even loss of actions.

The D&D game. Gods, it's been so long since that came out. I preferred the one from the 80's, before WotC got it and made everything d20. I'll keep your information in mind. If I do make it a new power, affect mind will be a prerequisite.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fallout 4 there is there is an effect called "berserk" or "frenzy";
causing them to attack everyone around them, friend and foe alike.

I would just treat is as a variant of affect mind.

No need to go crazy with a new power (so many powers are just variant applications of others).

Just my thought.

Of course - I would give dark side points for it in my game (I use a 1-100 scale - so can give out points more often and in smaller increments).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

When Cal uses confusion on the stormtroopers and animals, he makes them attack their allies or other enemies. So while I appreciate posting that link, it doesn't describe what happens in the game.

Try looking at some of the other options. Yes, Confusion itself isn’t a fit to what you’re looking for, but the premise of forced action is, and some of the other conditions (Hatred and Frenzy, specifically) may be more to your liking.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: