The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

EMP-ION mine..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> EMP-ION mine..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: EMP-ION mine.. Reply with quote

In wraith squadron, we had a weapon, that warlord Zjini used, called an EMP-Ion mine. This drew the ships out of hyperspace, and shut them down (fried one i think..)..

What would you say their stats / game effects would be?

Would the Ion explosion affect things inside the ship??
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have to be a 3 fold weapon - it would have to have a gravity generator / simulator of some kind. Ships in hyperspace aren't in real space, so an ion explosion in real space at the same spot of where they "should be" while in hyperspace shouldn't affect them. Now I won't say nothing does, but most stuff doesn't. For example, being outside of "real space" should make force use in real space imposible; but Ben felt the deaths at Alderaan - because it was massive enough to "penetrate" through.

It would be a cool idea, but an expensive and difficult weapon to construct.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will agree with Endwyn about the weapon not penetrating hyperspace and harming vessels within it, and requiring the gravity well generator to do it first.

But the force is all encompassing. Feeling the deaths through the force is not limited to hyperspace/realspace barriers like normal matter and most energy forms are.
to finance my 'vette!
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say it was imposible, but for all practicality should be. Hyperspace is another dimension, think about the proximity modifier! Affecting the force within hyperspace is no more difficult than being in real space and using the the force there. But when you try to cross the "dimensional barrier" to use the force in the other dimension it will be near imposible. Death of a planet though is dramatic enough that there would be a modifier to make it easier to sense, enough so that Ben could sense it while in hyperspace.

I would never say that you can't use the force in hyperspace, but using the force from one to affect the other, that shouldn't be a simple task by any means!
That's improbable?
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your not thinking fourth dimensionally, and don;t seem to understand dimensions or barriers.
Ok, so the party and the ship happen to be, themselves, to the "left" of the universe... the force cannot go "left"? The force is unable to work beyond things, or around things, like objects and imperceivable directions? Your telling me that gravity, something the force can easily effect, has great effect upon hyperspace, no matter which space your in, but that the force itself can only effect one or the other?

Looking at it from an entirely scientific standpoint, the force is an energy field that seems to manifest will on occasion, and hyperspace is a switch of dimensions from normal space. Why energy cannot move in multiple directions, especially after being affected to have moved in those directions in the first place, I cannot wrap my head around.

What, I ask, is limiting the force to "distance", especially in a space where distance limits are reduced dramatically to a fraction of a percent?
to finance my 'vette!
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said the force can't exist in hyperspace. I never said a force user can't access the force or use the force while in hyperspace. What I am saying is Jedi Bob should not be able to projective telethepy with Jedi George is Bob is in hyperspace headed from A to B while Jedi George is at C. Now I'm not even saying that's imposible, just not likely, not propable, or shouldn't really happen. The proximity modifier for being in hyperspace while using the force to affect real space is, and should be more difficult that using the force across the galaxy. The modifier alone is going to be more than most jedi could handle.

Now, a Jedi can use the force in hyperspace without any additional trouble so long as their range is the vessel they are in. There are even some force powers that could extend beyond hyperspace into real space without any problems what-so-ever; but the full range of force ability is not accessable to anyone short of "Jedi Extreme" while they are in hyperspace. I would almost be certain to say this would be limited to the powers that use the proximity modifier chart, but won't lock myself into that without checking.

Sorry Garhkal- this isn't really about EMP mines anymore.
That's improbable?
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, must take this discussion elsewhere.

Anyway, I still say it would take either a gravity well generator to drop the ship from hyperspace first, OR equip a micro burst hyperdrive to the EMP to put it in hyperspace for detonation, thuse causing it's shockwave to affect only ships in hyperspace.
to finance my 'vette!
K_Feldspar
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I based a weapon in a campaign of those mines a few years ago. I didn't allow the mine to draw a ship out of hyperspace though. I don't remember that part from the book, but it's been a bunch of years since then. I just had my bad guys mine areas of space defensively. Like a real mine field. It's not an offensive, but defensive weapon. A good mine field should control space (or foot) traffic to areas that are reasonable to police. So have a well documented field with a lane for traffic to pass through. Mt mines did regular ionization damage. If you want to drop someone of out hyperspace go grab an Interdictor. Those are awesome fun!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what i remember of the novel, they got blasted out of hyperspace, then hit with the ion wave before they had a chance to react. They were discussing the effects of it (between Kell and Wedge) when they were on about what it would take to ahve that happen...

One was a hyperspace sensor, to detect the ship, then a grav shock mine or something similar to make a large enough grav field to drop the ship out, then an Ion blast or EMP effect, to create the ion field, though IMO an EMP is more damaging than an Ion blast...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: