The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Running 1st editon for my kids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Running 1st editon for my kids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Running 1st editon for my kids Reply with quote

Just ran Mesa 291 last night for my kids (gradeschool age). They played a Retired Imperial Officer and The Kid. The only concession I had to make to age was, they both wanted a small animal. Specifically they both wanted their characters to own a porg.

Ruleswise we're basically playing 1st edition plus the inclusion of The Wild Die. Although there are some vague rules questions that are probably better answered by looking them up in 2e. For one thing, damage: I mostly played the miniatures game... I didn't recall that all hits automatically stun! Right? The chart says "DR < SR = Stun"? But then, it's actually hard to find a definition of "stunned". I'm thinking I'll let them keep a Y-Wing as their ship. And have them keep R2-D0, just in case I need to use him to wrangle them through future adventures.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear someone's bringing in yet another new generation to the game.
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Running 1st editon for my kids Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Just ran Mesa 291 last night for my kids (gradeschool age). They played a Retired Imperial Officer and The Kid. The only concession I had to make to age was, they both wanted a small animal. Specifically they both wanted their characters to own a porg.

Ruleswise we're basically playing 1st edition plus the inclusion of The Wild Die. Although there are some vague rules questions that are probably better answered by looking them up in 2e. For one thing, damage: I mostly played the miniatures game... I didn't recall that all hits automatically stun! Right? The chart says "DR < SR = Stun"? But then, it's actually hard to find a definition of "stunned". I'm thinking I'll let them keep a Y-Wing as their ship. And have them keep R2-D0, just in case I need to use him to wrangle them through future adventures.

In 1e at least, "stunned" means you lose your actions for the rest of the round, and may be knocked prone.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Running 1st editon for my kids Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:

In 1e at least, "stunned" means you lose your actions for the rest of the round, and may be knocked prone.

Thanks. That is pretty wild for an autoeffect.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Glad to hear someone's bringing in yet another new generation to the game.

Meh. My kids probably won't keep doing this when they're older. No one does their parent's stuff when they grow up. For example, I am doing roleplaying games instead of fishing.

However they are pretty avid gamers. There's nothing they'd rather do than have me run The DCC RPG for them, if asked to choose an activity. That's turned out to be a great starter game for kids. Kids' fairytale instincts are usually right for the published mods and they avoid pitfalls that typical experienced D&Der's would fall for. Also, it's a game that *immediately* made them OK with player death. Player Characters WILL die in your first game of DCC. It's part of the character generation process!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: