The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Telekineis Force power vs. Blaster Bolts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Telekineis Force power vs. Blaster Bolts.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:13 am    Post subject: Telekineis Force power vs. Blaster Bolts. Reply with quote

Not sur where to post this, but since it was a house ruled incident I decided on here.

An idea came up while running a table a couple of weeks back. i was unsure of the actual rules or even posibility to do it, but I did allow it for that session.

basically someone wanted to use telekinesis to both defend and to guide (another's) bolt to a target.

Using telekineis as written it looks like this can be done with an "object" and the base difficulty is the object weight + modifiers like distance etc.

Now the argument came in that a blaster bolt has actual mass, and thus is an object and thus should be influenced by telekineis.

I allowed this to when rolling a very hard sucess they could defelct a bolt and if a heroic roll made they could "bend" it once around ONE obsticle.

Any thoughts on this? Would you allow telekineis to be used for blaster defense (and guidance) and would you consider a blaster bolt to be "object" in the context of telekinesis?
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a fan-made Force power that dealt with this on a speeder- and capital-scale listed on the SWRPGNetwork site, but that site had fallen into disrepair. Last I recall, the power I mentioned was lost.

However, I remembered that power and listed it in my work The Force Compendium because there was a Force faction listed in one of the Wizards of the Coasts Star Wars sourcebooks. The sourcebook was perhaps one of the last made by Wizards of the Coast before FFG took over, and the RPG style of the book was Saga d20.

Also supporting your question is how Kylo Ren was able to stop a blaster bolt fired by Poe Dameron in mid-air, move out of the way, and then let it continue on.

My work is available in the library section of this site.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rule this as one of two ways. Yes, you can use the Force to bend the path of a blaster bolt, but 1) only if you create a new Force Power (which is what I believe Kylo did), telekinesis would be one of the prerequisites. Probably also absorb/dissipate energy. I would require a heroic roll for success.

2) Use the old Tales of the Jedi "use a Force power in a way it wasn't intended" rule and make them spend a Force Point as well as a heroic roll for Telekinesis to do it.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We see darth maul do this in the clone wars animated series - and I am sure there are other examples as well.

As part of my force power house rules overhaul, I added an ability called "Intercept" which is similar (avoiding - not guiding someone else's).

A character must have telekinesis to learn this ability.

Basically it has a couple of ways it can be used.

THey can move objects and use them as cover - the base difficulty is 3 - Moderate. If successful, they get a small cover bonus, based on how well they roll.

If they don't have an object to use - they can try to deflect the bolt directly - this is difficulty level 4: Difficult (I also give level numbers to my difficulty levels - it easier to identify and be specific in my house rules). This one also gives a small cover bonus, depending on how well they roll.

They can use this to protect adjacent targets - each 2m away increases the difficulty level by one (DL3: Moderate upshifts to DL4: Difficult, etc.)

The bonus for each is +1 Pip per Alter Skill die code, and +1 Additional pip for each difficulty level they would hit above the roll.

So, on the move an obstacle thing - a character with an Alter Bonus of 6D who rolls well enough to hit a DL4:Difficult (they need a DL3:Moderate) would get a cover bonus of 2D+1 (3d for the 6 pips from Alter Bonus, and +1 pip for rolling one level better than the required DL3:Moderate).

(my house rules have rebalanced and scaled the power levels - most of the bonuses are +1 Pip per die code of a skill - not the skill itself - but I have lowered many of the starting difficulty levels for powers - this smooths out the power curve for force users - they can do more at the beginning, but are no where near as powerful later).

This works well in our game testing - cool, but not too powerful.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Telekineis Force power vs. Blaster Bolts. Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Not sur where to post this, but since it was a house ruled incident I decided on here.

An idea came up while running a table a couple of weeks back. i was unsure of the actual rules or even posibility to do it, but I did allow it for that session.

basically someone wanted to use telekinesis to both defend and to guide (another's) bolt to a target.

Using telekineis as written it looks like this can be done with an "object" and the base difficulty is the object weight + modifiers like distance etc.

Now the argument came in that a blaster bolt has actual mass, and thus is an object and thus should be influenced by telekineis.

I allowed this to when rolling a very hard sucess they could defelct a bolt and if a heroic roll made they could "bend" it once around ONE obsticle.

Any thoughts on this? Would you allow telekineis to be used for blaster defense (and guidance) and would you consider a blaster bolt to be "object" in the context of telekinesis?

Till we saw Kylo ren do it in force awakens, i would have said NO WAY in hissle.. Now because of that, i'd say they MAY be able to STOP a bolt, but certainly not bend it around someone or something to HIT a target.

Now doing THIS to just defelect a bolt, should be harder than just using a LS to block one..
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Telekineis Force power vs. Blaster Bolts. Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Till we saw Kylo ren do it in force awakens, i would have said NO WAY in hissle.. Now because of that, i'd say they MAY be able to STOP a bolt, but certainly not bend it around someone or something to HIT a target.

Now doing THIS to just defelect a bolt, should be harder than just using a LS to block one..

Agreed - my house rules on this only allow for avoiding being hit (deflect) instead of directing toward another target. .

Also, this is why the bonus is rather low (from my post above - only a few points bonus - which effectively - makes it a lot harder).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if one DID allow the 'guiding' a bolt like that, THAT TO ME would warrant an instant DSP for using the force to try and kill someone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: