The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

S-Foils
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> S-Foils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 12:42 am    Post subject: S-Foils Reply with quote

I could’ve sworn I’d posted about this in the past, but I can’t seem to find it. Anyways…

I’m considering adding an optional S-Foil rule to the X-Wing and B-Wing stats, with different performance characteristics depending on whether they’re open or closed. Some possible effects include:
    Maneuverability - I’ve speculated in the past that the S-Foils include components of the ethereal rudder system, with S-Foil positioning offering greater versatility / leverage when in Attack position. In game terms, this could be expressed in a bonus or penalty to Maneuverability depending on the S-Foil configuration.

Hyperdrive - Another theory is that, when the S-Foils are in Attack position, they enlarge the envelope of the ship’s hyperdrive field, thus requiring the hyperdrive to exert itself, resulting in either a slower speed or an Astrogation Difficulty increase.

Weapon Power / Recharge - While I haven’t yet done stats for the ARC-170, their S-Foils appear to function as covers for heat radiator systems, possibly connected to the Medium Laser Cannon. I’m considering increasing the RoF on the Medium Lasers if the S-Foils are open, at the cost of potential extra damage if they get hit.
As far as general rules, S-Foils would take one round to switch from Cruise to Attack and vice versa, with the potential to be locked in place if the ship takes certain kinds of damage.

I’m not hugely concerned with the S-Foils on ships like the Lambda or Sentinel, as they seem more designed around Landing / Flight modes, but some of my above suggestions might still be applicable if a ship’s foils were locked in Landing or Flight modes.

Anyway, I just wanted to get this in writing, so if you have any other suggestions for possible advantages/disadvantages for S-Foil positioning, let me know.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Ziz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Targeting accuracy/coverage - Open gives more coverage but causes less damage as there's a bigger chance the craft being pursued could evade one or more of the weapon discharges, thus taking less damage. Closed causes more damage because the blasts are closer together, more chance of multiple discharges hitting, but would require some kind of Targeting roll for accuracy.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From watching the films/games, and such, it seems that they have a little more maneuverability when closed, and CAN'T fire but can go into hyperspace. While open they have standard move, and can fire, but can't go into hyperspace.. TO ME that is the difference. So maybe the hyperdrive motivator is disconnected while its s-foils are open, and reengaged when closed.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziz wrote:
Targeting accuracy/coverage - Open gives more coverage but causes less damage as there's a bigger chance the craft being pursued could evade one or more of the weapon discharges, thus taking less damage. Closed causes more damage because the blasts are closer together, more chance of multiple discharges hitting, but would require some kind of Targeting roll for accuracy.

Good one. I was already going to have the B-Wing be unable to use the Full Body Turret rule I came up with for the wingtip lasers if the s-foils were closed, and a -1 or -2 penalty to Fire Control when the X-Wing’s s-foils are closed makes sense.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
From watching the films/games, and such, it seems that they have a little more maneuverability when closed, and CAN'T fire but can go into hyperspace. While open they have standard move, and can fire, but can't go into hyperspace.. TO ME that is the difference. So maybe the hyperdrive motivator is disconnected while its s-foils are open, and reengaged when closed.

That’s a bit too much for my tastes. There are a couple instances in the X-Wing novels that contradict what you’re saying. Specifically, one X-Wing takes combat damage that freezes the s-foils in attack position, but it’s still able to jump to hyperspace.

There’s also an instance where Kel Tainer (during a combat simulation) makes a snapshot against a TIE Bomber while his s-foils are closed, and it’s noted as a more difficult shot, not an impossible one.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why i focused on the films and games. Not novels.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That's why i focused on the films and games. Not novels.

I don’t find the games to be a reliable source of canon, and I’m not aware of any point in the films that support what you proposed above.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always ruled that with the S-foils extended (aka the X in the X-Wing) is for combat, and when they are retracted (making the x-wing look overall similar to the headhunter) it is for travel

I base this much on movies where we see most times that the S-Foils are closed when travelling, we see this in rouge one and the U wing there as well many times with x-wings comming out of hyperspace or going into hyperspace
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I always ruled that with the S-foils extended (aka the X in the X-Wing) is for combat, and when they are retracted (making the x-wing look overall similar to the headhunter) it is for travel

I base this much on movies where we see most times that the S-Foils are closed when travelling, we see this in rouge one and the U wing there as well many times with x-wings comming out of hyperspace or going into hyperspace

Exactly. Heck, in both ROTJ AND ANH, we saw X-wings (and even B-wings in ROTJ), shift from 'flight mode' where their s-foils were closed, to Open for battle mode.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but where does it explicitly state that the systems are completely locked out depending on the positioning of the s-foils?

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Okay, but where does it explicitly state that the systems are completely locked out depending on the positioning of the s-foils?

As to travel we can only make some somewhat lgical assumption, retracted s-foild could be more "hyperspace ecconic" in a way snec we mostly see it retracted in terms of travel, entering and exiting systems.

as to weapon systems, there could be simply a maneuver factor that makes eaxtracting the s foils, or ir could be that the fire control and weapon linking systems only works in the X conficuration, since this is how we see it.

Given the similarities between the X wing with the s foild retracted and the head hunter I would have no issues with beliving the X wing could use 2/4 of the cannons as well as the missiles/torpedos though given the X configuration being preferred I would assume it would impact the weapon systems.

though to me it seems to be a travel configuration, and it could even be that the X wng can not fire any weapons without the X configurations as well
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logical assumptions would be based on some sort of evidence.

For example:
    1) Nowhere in the films is it explicitly stated that an X-Wing can’t use its hyperdrive if its S-Foils are open, nor that it can’t fire its laser cannon if they are closed.

2) In Legends novels (particularly X-Wing: Wraith Squadron), it’s clearly stated that an X-Wing can fire its laser cannon with its S-Foils closed, and that it can jump to hyperspace with them open.

3) Video games, while entertaining, are often rife with continuity errors, and are generally unreliable sources of canon when compared to other sources.
It’s logical to assume that, if something is not explicitly stated to be impossible in the films, and is explicitly stated to occur in another, less canon source that doesn’t contradict the films, it’s possible.

Regardless, my point in this topic is not whether or not it can functions in the manner described, but rather the specifics of how said function affects stats and/or playability at the table.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: