The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

To use it or not to use it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> To use it or not to use it...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: To use it or not to use it... Reply with quote

Ok. Say the enemy (bbeg or one of his minions) have a special skill, that when used (assuming it meets the requirements) has the chance to cause an auto kill OR an auto ko.. (like the silent strike special maneuyver from rules of engagement).

Firstly, would you ever have him use the instant kill side of it, assuming the target was a pc?
Secondly, if not, why? Heck why even have him possessing the skill if he is not allowed to use it to its fullest???
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orders to capture the PCs alive. Give the main boss a reason to keep them alive.

Anything will do. Even the traditional reason for Movie Villians. TO GLOAT!

Remember, this is Star Wars, Space Opera! Villians Gloat! It's one of the first skills listed on their resumes. Wink
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The enemy might wish to interrogate the PCs. They might even want to use the PCs as bait to lure someone "more important" in the Alliance food chain out of hiding.

Whatever the reason, they could still use the skill. Especially if you're using the "Duelling Blades" rules (excellent idea for heavy melee to speed things up...), the winner can ALWAYS choose to effect a lesser result. As I see it, that equates to the enemy "calling their shot," even though they actually do the choosing of the lesser result after the dice have been rolled. It gives you an opportunity to keep the PCs alive, although perhaps completely miserable. As long as they're alive, there's always a chance for rescue. And even if a whole party is captured, if you take their character sheets rather than play out a long prison sequence, you can have your players create new characters that are made for the specific purpose of busting out the original characters... Perhaps using this as an opportunity to add to your players' party while letting them have a hand in it, rather than just bringing in NPCs.
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would and have used auto KO on a PC. I would not use an auto kill move on a PC, ever. Similarly, I would not have a party of snipers successfully ambush the PCs--their first shot will always miss alerting the PCs to their presence. I also wouldn't have an enemy saboteur sneak onto the PCs vessel and plant a thermal well on their power generator, even if a lot of enemies could conceivably think to do this.

There are many ways to 'instant kill' or at least take people down without giving them much of a chance to fight back, but having your villains use any of them, even if they're common sense, turns the game into 'GM vs players'; a battle of tactical wits to the death. Since there's more going on than fighting in my games, this sort of atmosphere would interfere greatly with the one I'm trying to create.

If I was going to play like this, it would be in a situation where we were all players and nobody was the GM with the power to rig the circumstances. There are games like this. They are tactical sim/wargames that involve lots of miniatures, and stats and no personalities or backgrounds or stories. Not to say they aren't fun in their own right, but they're different from roleplaying.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, you never kill the PCs without them having a chance at actually surviving. Their deaths should come second and their survival first, especially if it's early in an adventure and the PCs are still very much new with little experince to them despite what their dice claim. An auto kill means that they never stood a chance. But an auto KO is a horse of a different color. They don't stand a chance of avoiding it, but their still going to be around to continue adventuring for a while longer. However, I wouldn't use auto KO very often because then it's not realistic. Everytime the PCs go after this guy, or NPCs go after a PC with it, they get knocked out before they can do anything.

Wanted Poster
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to what everyone else has said (which is basically "don't use auto kill on PCs, but it's okay to use auto KO within reason") I would like to point out that a great many skills an NPC may have might never come into play against/for the player characters. Some are just there to flesh the NPC out. Some are to be used on other NPCs.

Take, for example, this "auto kill". You've got an NPC with the ability. What does the NPC do? Is he a bounty hunter, a merc, a "cleaner"? Well, then, it's safe to assume that he's used the ability in the past against other NPCs, and he could concievably use it again...against other NPCs. The instant death that such a thing provides, is better for "dramatic emphasis" than for simply snuffing out a PC. As I mentioned in the GMing Hints & Tips thread, if the GM really wants to kill the PCs, he can do it easily. To create an NPC with the ability to kill PCs with automatic success, with no recourse for the PCs, (and you utilize it) you fall into the category of a power hungry GM who just wants to prove he's more powerful than his players.

The skill should be used for emphasis, to provide dramatic tension, but never for an automatic death of a PC. The NPC can just as easily kill a valuable NPC of the PCs, and threaten the PCs, thus driving home the point of the vileness and sudden killing power of the NPC. The PCs should be appropriately alarmed, and much more cautious when they encounter this NPC again, but he shouldn't use the ability against a PC directly, otherwise you're not doing two things: You're not allowing EVERYONE to help craft the overall story, and you're not allowing the dice to decide the fate of the PCs. You're basically saying "I'm god, your character is dead because I say it is." but not in so many words.

Where was it I heard this: "Just because you HAVE great power, doesn't necessarily mean you should USE great power." This is appropriate to this particular situation.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
The enemy might wish to interrogate the PCs. They might even want to use the PCs as bait to lure someone "more important" in the Alliance food chain out of hiding.

Whatever the reason, they could still use the skill. Especially if you're using the "Duelling Blades" rules (excellent idea for heavy melee to speed things up...), the winner can ALWAYS choose to effect a lesser result. As I see it, that equates to the enemy "calling their shot," even though they actually do the choosing of the lesser result after the dice have been rolled. It gives you an opportunity to keep the PCs alive, although perhaps completely miserable. As long as they're alive, there's always a chance for rescue. And even if a whole party is captured, if you take their character sheets rather than play out a long prison sequence, you can have your players create new characters that are made for the specific purpose of busting out the original characters... Perhaps using this as an opportunity to add to your players' party while letting them have a hand in it, rather than just bringing in NPCs.

Kind of hard, since i spend most of my SW gaming at cons, where that taking of the character sheets would be fround on...

And as to the 'interrogation'. Yes that is a possibility, but only if the person who has the skill actually cares to interrogate. Same with the gloating....

Quote:
To add to what everyone else has said (which is basically "don't use auto kill on PCs, but it's okay to use auto KO within reason") I would like to point out that a great many skills an NPC may have might never come into play against/for the player characters. Some are just there to flesh the NPC out. Some are to be used on other NPCs.

Take, for example, this "auto kill". You've got an NPC with the ability. What does the NPC do? Is he a bounty hunter, a merc, a "cleaner"? Well, then, it's safe to assume that he's used the ability in the past against other NPCs, and he could concievably use it again...against other NPCs. The instant death that such a thing provides, is better for "dramatic emphasis" than for simply snuffing out a PC. As I mentioned in the GMing Hints & Tips thread, if the GM really wants to kill the PCs, he can do it easily. To create an NPC with the ability to kill PCs with automatic success, with no recourse for the PCs, (and you utilize it) you fall into the category of a power hungry GM who just wants to prove he's more powerful than his players.

While i hear ya, i seem to feel that relagating a skil the npc has to only being used against other npcs as pointless as not having it in the first place... Or not allowing it for them. And one of my biggest beliefs is if the pcs can use it/have it/get it etc so should the npcs...
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But your facing the same problem if the PCs have it. Why even bother getting good at any combat skill if you're assured instant victory every time you use an auto kill/auto KO? If they are given an auto kill/auto KO then it has to be limited because it already makes them too powerful. By saying you can only use this power every XD hours, days, etc. (but not under hours as you want them to take a long time to recharge), then you force the player to actually realize that they have to be good at something else so as to stand a chance in battle. Otherwise you're just allowing gods to run around unchecked.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The skill i am on about (since i have yet to see any others like it), is the Rebel Spec force martial arts mvr Silent Strike. To successfuly use it, you must first succeed on sneaking up to the target unnoticed (sneak versus perception or search), THEN make the (S) RSFMA roll of difficult (20). So it is not really an assured instant victory.....
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a repost of a question already asked and answered by the same poster. I still stand by my answers there, as they were logical, fair, and informed.
The previous discution of this topic can be viewed, at length, here:
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=11380&highlight=#11380

With points and counter points.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats..... forgot i had it in that thread...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's ok, we all forget sometimes. I forgot a few of the points and counter points were in IMs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: