The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Series of Game Problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Series of Game Problems Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on arguing with the GM bit. I try not too, but my big mouth usually gets the first word in before I can stop it. I try not to let it interfere with the game. So far so good. I do shut up once he has ruled, but I sure do like to try to make my point, even if it is going to hurt me in the result.

E
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without reading other replies:

Bana should have no weight in that. If the player feels that she is up to playing a non-human, then let her! Do you have any other female players in your group? It may be that he feels that a female is not as apt for gaming (I have seen that s*** before), which in my mind is stupid.

If you are playing a sci-fi game, what is the fun of being told you only can be human? What fun will it be for HER if she is not allowed what to play? If Bana has a problem with her having fun, then he can leave.

First time I played a Star Wars RPG I was a Rodian, my girlfriend, her first time EVER doing an RPG, was a Mashi Horansi. No problems. If we were told we only could be humans becasue it would be "too much", then it would not have been as much fun.
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, no way should any player be pigeon-holed into playing only a certain type of character. I can understand people not allowing certain types to be played, but saying you can only play a human when you aren't playing a human-centric game isn't fair to the player and discourages new and old players to take the game elsewhere or not even play at all. Which we all know is not good. New players are always needed to keep the game fresh and fun.

E
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree: no way should people ever have it dictated to them what race their character is- as long as the type of character they're going to play doesn't have racial restrictions that prohibit or hinder the type. (Unless they WANT to deal with all the associated hardships of being a Trandoshan microsurgeon... Laughing )

The only time the GM should even really be giving any guidance or suggestions about character types is when the party could really use a slicer or a pilot or something to round them out. (Or if the GM has created a position that's going to be filled by an NPC, but a player is brought along who can fit the slot. The character type can be more restricted since it's an already created position, but the race should still be open to the player's choice.)
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ejacobs wrote:
can only play a human when you aren't playing a human-centric game isn't fair to the player
E

Ok This is one bit I disagree with slightly. Star Wars is definatly a Human Centric game. The main characters in all the novels is human, humans are the most prolific race in the Star Wars galaxy, the leaders of the Old Republic, the Empire and the New Republic are human and it was humans that started the Rebellion and most of the corporations seem to be human run. The majority of the Templates in WEG material have human as the base race, heck even the source books are written from a human point of view.
Why is this if the game isn't human-centric? There are plenty of alien races written up that could do everything the humans do and do it better, but it's not the way the game or the setting is written.
I realise that almost everyone plays and runs the game differently, most parties will be alien heavy (mine also), but to say that the game isn't human-centric is (in my opion) naive.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess he meant a game played by a party that's majorly human. The setting is clearly human-centric, but if all the players play aliens, then maybe you can say that your game isn't human-centric. (The "Dream Team" isn't human-centric in the least, hehehe).
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<but to say that the game isn't human-centric is (in my opion) naive.>

Perhaps, but could it not be realistic? I play a human in our game. I prefer to play humans. I'm good at it. I know how they think. Do I want to stretch my roleplaying muscles and try some other race? Maybe. I've done that, but I always return to humans. However, that is just me. I enjoy playing humans and have no problem with other players that want to play other races.

Now, it can definately be argued that the Star Wars Galaxy is human centric. However, how much sympathy would be felt for some lizard boy from the deserts of Tatooine and his adventures against the evil Lizard Empire? Humans feature prominently in the films because that is how Lucas wrote them so he didn't need to make the stories and movies many times longer to develop our concern for some "alien" race that none of us can actually relate to. Now, for game terms, we are able to delve further into his creation and play the parts that interest us most. For some that means playing humans, for others, that means playing Twi'leks or Davaronians or Wookiees or whatever. I'm just saying that unless the GM is running a Humans only game, no player should be restricted on what race they want to play. IMO.

Peace, Out.
E
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand where you're coming from, I just wanted to point out how human centric the game actually is. I'm not saying that it's good or bad to play humans or aliens in the game, just that it really is human centric.

Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you. Humans rock! LOL... I really enjoy playing this game. A LOT!

Good Hunting.

E
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ejacobs wrote:
Humans feature prominently in the films because that is how Lucas wrote them so he didn't need to make the stories and movies many times longer to develop our concern for some "alien" race that none of us can actually relate to.
E

While I'm not arguing that the movies are predominately human-centric, he wouldn't necessarily have had to make the movies longer for us to relate.

Ever see the movie "Enemy Mine" with Dennis Quaid and Louis Gossett Jr.? In that one, humans were warring with an alien race, and Dennis' human character gets stranded on a planet with Louis' alien character. The two form a friendship, and Dennis ends up caring for Lou's child, even stealing a ship after he's been rescued so he can go back and rescue the child from slavers who'd caught him and a number of the aliens.

It didn't take a three hour long movie to instill the kind of empathy for the aliens in this movie. Sure, there were humans around too. But the ratio was a little more even, and I didn't see any problems with it.

Just my 2¢.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ejacobs wrote:
<Humans feature prominently in the films because that is how Lucas wrote them so he didn't need to make the stories and movies many times longer to develop our concern for some "alien" race that none of us can actually relate to. >

While I have to say that I agree with the overall principle that Ejacobs is saying (that in non human-centric games players should be free to choose any race), I have to disagree with the idea that you have to use lengthy introductions on biology or culture to empathize with an alien. Examples of this are all over the place in the movies. How much did we know about ET? How about Chewbacca in ANH? You don't have to understand a character to empathize with them. You just have to show that they have feelings. Even essentially BAD characters like Riddick (an example for you younger readers) gain the sympathy of the audience because we can relate to them on an emotional level, even though you have no idea what it's like to be Riddick. You don't need a dossier on someone to feel their pain. You just need to be able to recognize that they are in pain. Empathy is the key!
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience... from the Jawas, to when they walked into the cantina, the room filled with aliens of in some cases indescribable appearance.
No horses or any earth animal except ducks. Banthas, dewbacks, tauntauns, et cetera.
The Mon Calamari. The Verpine. The Duros. The Twi'Lek. The Hutts. Races that have shaped the way we look at Star Wars.

These have always left an impression on my mind. And I prefer to run a game of Star Wars as inhuman as possible.

As for making the movies, the main reason the first three were not filled with aliens was because the costumes were expensive.
The prequels however, aliens were everywhere. It was filled with them, in every position of power as well, right up to the vice chancellor being that blue guy with the horns.
Star Wars may not look inhuman, but that is the vision I get, it is where I, and apparantly several others, have fun. And I will never limit a player to one race, the game mechanics do not change for the diffrent races in Star Wars anyway.

As for the Bana character, he has been banned.
to finance my 'vette!
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, maybe I didn't word my posts correctly, I can admit that. From what I've read here, it seems that most of us have generally the same approach to SW as the rest. I enjoy being a part of this community.

I would also agree with Scott and Skyler. They both stated their cases better than I did mine. As a matter of fact, as soon as I had posted, I remembered the movie Enemy Mine, one of my favorites. My general point was that it was easier for Lucas to make a human centric movie at that time.

Any race for any one! Huzzah!

E
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
As for the Bana character, he has been banned.

I take it he continued arguing?

Du Cass' Dream
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go, Boomer! Ban the Bana! Laughing

Show that sucker the airlock and let him breathe vaccuum!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: