The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Series of Game Problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Series of Game Problems Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Series of Game Problems Reply with quote

In getting back to the original post:

Boomer wrote:
Recently got a new player in my game. He is very experienced, been a GM for 23 years, and he is 17 years older than I am. He has stated that when I invited him to join my game, that was consent to give him control, simply because of his age.

My advice to you Boomer, is to stop the game right there. If any player says he is not going to accept the decisions of the GM, I'm not going to play with them. Either he changes his mind and agrees to abide by your decisions or he's gone. You can't run a game with people like that.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you run the game with him by having a whole platoon of stormtroopers open up on him, while the rest of your party escapes. Eventually he'll get the hint. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endwyn wrote:
I see both sides. In honesty, playing a non-human is hard on a new player. The key difference here is that this player is not new to RPG, just new to D6. Regardless either way, the simple fact is imagine wanting to play D6 Star Wars and being told you have to play a human and you can't be a jedi because they're harder to learn. How many people would still want to play? In the end there has to be some give and take; and reason. Now, if the other PC's are 6D jedi - then having a newb to D6 play a jedi would be hard. It would be much easier to let them play a "padawan" of another PC so they can get used to the use of the force at lower levels and have someone mentor them through playing a jedi both in and out of game.

As far as playing a cat person goes I'm sure the newest player won't play a perfect Trianni this time out, but the most important thing to remember is that you never have to play into the "typical", "average", or "stereo-type" of the race. Perhaps she is like worf, raised outside her culture. Maybe she disagreed with some fundamental beliefs? Perhaps she places more value on contributing back to the society than having a family unit?

This is what I would do.

1. Explain / let her read up on the Trianni, tell her she has two choices, she can try to play like the norm, or have a reason why she differs and behave outside that norm.

2. Explain to the older person that you don't really think seniority matters for the game, that the GM should have final say. You would appreciate his advice, but he needs to present logical arguements in a respectful way, and not infront of other players. Let him know you have final say. If he really pushes seniority on you, tell him that you agree with the importance of settleing things based on seniority, from now on everyone gets a vote based on seniority. He has one vote, so does the other newb; then assign one vote to each other player per year they've been in your group. Since you've always been in your group you should have a good 10-20 votes or so.

3. Try to play nice if possible.

I agree completely, but this old guy needs to be put in his place. It is your game. Screw what he wants. If he doesn't like it, send him packing.
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i know: roleplaying is about two things:
a)Roleplay
b)Have fun

Having players constantly questioning rules can lead to the death of the game itself. GM should be listening to suggestions and fair critics. If players start arguments on the basis of their "superior" GM experience of 23 years and the rest, i think he can have a nice option for everyone (GM, party and himself): go and find a party who's willing to play with him!
I myself played with different GMs while i was running my own campaign, but never had the arrogance of questioning the GM under the assumption that my GM experience was of long-date. GMing is already quite taxing without these "king of the hill" arguments, imho... Wink
ras
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Series of Game Problems Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:

Recently got a new player in my game. He is very experienced, been a GM for 23 years, and he is 17 years older than I am. He has stated that when I invited him to join my game, that was consent to give him control, simply because of his age. I disagreedm of course, but oh well. Now, this problem is currently in the middle of resolution, it has been explained that he is on thin ice and I am ready to ban him. Heretofor referring to him as "Bana"

Bana know the tune. He has to make a simple choise : is he player or is he game master ? If he chooses player he knows that means he has to acept and follow the rules of the GM who leads the game. There is no other possibility. If he disagree with you on a specific point during the game probably you can allow him to explain his point of view in a private discussion (not front of the other players). Of course he has probably managed a situation in a different way than you but he has to understand he's not in the pilot's seat.

Boomer wrote:

So, onto problem two, what Bana thinks I should do versus what I am doing.

Well I think it's the same problem... Maybe Bana can't be D6 SW RPG player anymore...
Would he notes your manner of leading a game or would he role plays a character in SW RPG universe ?

Boomer wrote:

Another new player, completely new to the D6 system, but she has been RPing in other games for a couple years. I am letting her first character be a Trianii Smuggler. Smuggler Template, change race to Trianii, adjust the attributes (still at 18d), add the bonus for playing a female Trianii, voila.
Bana beleives that letting her play a non-human in her first game is a whole new level of complexity that will make things harder on her. He has described this as "Torturing a New-Born". Colorful, no?
I beleive that simply the races title, description, and background, change nothing. Bana has mentioned that she knows nothing of Trianii... I asked him to tell me a bit of the human world of Coreillia, which he could not do.

The dice are not any diffrent for a Trianii as they are for a Human. The females get a couple bonuses, they have a tail that does something other than wave, whoop-de-doo. She is used to playing cat-creatures from other games, she is more comfortable with it. Bana won't give me any examples of why this is going to be a problem, or explain things any clearer than I have done so far.

So, what am I doing wrong, here? Is playing a Trianii that much diffrent than playing a human that it would cause game problems?
I am not going to let him control me, but since he refuses to plead his case in a dignified manner, and merely slings insults, colorful metaphors, gives orders, and claims this is a teaching tool, I have no choice but to take it up with others that might see his side and present it in a civil manner.

Can somebody please tell me if I have overlooked anything?

If a rookie player want to play a non-human, why doesn't allow him it ? Trianii have cultural traits which are not so difficult to play. In an other hand, humans can have very different cultural traits, depending where they are coming from: can we say that a corellian has the same general personnality than someone from Tatooine or Coruscant ? If the newbie player thinks he can manage the cultural aspect of the specie you propose him to play, there is not reason to force him to play a human... Of course some species are hard to play. All depend of the player experiences in RPgames.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasputiza wrote:
As far as i know: roleplaying is about two things:
a)Roleplay
b)Have fun

Having players constantly questioning rules can lead to the death of the game itself. GM should be listening to suggestions and fair critics. If players start arguments on the basis of their "superior" GM experience of 23 years and the rest, i think he can have a nice option for everyone (GM, party and himself): go and find a party who's willing to play with him!
I myself played with different GMs while i was running my own campaign, but never had the arrogance of questioning the GM under the assumption that my GM experience was of long-date. GMing is already quite taxing without these "king of the hill" arguments, imho... Wink
ras

Agreed. I have been doing this for 10 years (different games) and when one of my players occasionally runs a game, I keep my mouth shut. If I have a problem, I know how to bring it up in a way that doesn't cause problems.

If I make a mistake the players will call me on it and I will take what they have to say into consideration. Overly argumentative players quickly get the boot as I refuse to deal with it.

I had a player like that once or twice. In the past tense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: