The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Combined Actions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Combined Actions Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darius
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Combined Actions Reply with quote

The extra dice you get from successful combined actions, can they also be added to damage ? For instance several x-wings co-ordinate their attacks upon a single Imperial vessel. Would you then just roll for the damage as a single attack, modified by the bonus from a combined action ?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going by the revised and expanded rules, the bonus from combining actions, is +1 pip for each person (or weapon), in the following order...

1 = +1
2 = +2
3 = +1d
4 = +1d+1
and so on..

This bonus is can be split into the to hit pool OR damage.

By the base 2nd edition ruling, there is a chart, and by it, the bonus is added to both to hit and damage...

On a side question for this. Is the command roll needing to be re-rolled each round?
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realisiticly, it would require a new command roll every round. The commander is directing everyone to do something together each round; and it is essential that the group stay on target every round.

Now in honestly, I would probably only require new command rolls when they switch targets or goal; or declare before combat that they need to make X number of rolls or a roll every X rounds. Regardless of when or how often I make the person roll, the command use is an action every round; and if they want to do anything else they will be taking a MAP.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endwyn wrote:
Realisiticly, it would require a new command roll every round. The commander is directing everyone to do something together each round; and it is essential that the group stay on target every round.

Now in honestly, I would probably only require new command rolls when they switch targets or goal; or declare before combat that they need to make X number of rolls or a roll every X rounds. Regardless of when or how often I make the person roll, the command use is an action every round; and if they want to do anything else they will be taking a MAP.

That sounds reasonable, although if in the above example (several X-wings firing on one target) if they all simply opened fire, but didn't destroy the target in the first round, it wouldn't realistically require the new command roll, would it? It IS essential they all stay on target, but as long as the players state that they're firing 'as ordered,' then they shouldn't require a new roll, right?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd lower the difficulty if it was the same command. Someone might still get trigger happy and shoot before the order is given. Or get scared, and break off.

It's the Commander that has to guage that, and encourage them. Even if it's just a "Stay on target... Stay on target..." in a tone that means, "Ignore the people behind us that will shoot at us soon. The rest of the Squad has our backs."
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
I'd lower the difficulty if it was the same command. Someone might still get trigger happy and shoot before the order is given. Or get scared, and break off.

It's the Commander that has to guage that, and encourage them. Even if it's just a "Stay on target... Stay on target..." in a tone that means, "Ignore the people behind us that will shoot at us soon. The rest of the Squad has our backs."

Now that's not a bad idea. It makes sense that it would get a bit easier as everyone finds each other's rhythym. Everyone would calm down, get into their groove, and start acting more in concert.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another thing. In the combined actions part of the revised 2nd ed rules, it says that a person can only command a number of people equal to his command die pool, though truely experienced people/skilled people or an easy task can allow the commander to go above that limit...
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be interpreted as instead of commanding individual people, he's commanding squads, or captains, who in turn make their own command rolls to get their subordinates to do their job, and it goes down the ladder down to the foot soldier or workman.

In a space battle, it's only nessecary to for the admiral to command the captains or squad leaders, not the crew or other pilots.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. Although at that point, if you want to be uber-realistic, you'll have to at some point start factoring in OTHER people's Command. Because it doesn't matter how great or skilled the top ranking guy is; what truly matters is how the line NCO's handle their platoons or squads, etc. A scrub of an NCO isn't going to have ANY respect from his troops, and that will affect the end result.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
That's right. Although at that point, if you want to be uber-realistic, you'll have to at some point start factoring in OTHER people's Command. Because it doesn't matter how great or skilled the top ranking guy is; what truly matters is how the line NCO's handle their platoons or squads, etc. A scrub of an NCO isn't going to have ANY respect from his troops, and that will affect the end result.

Very valid point.... coming from someone who has seen this (especially to butter bars....)
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preach it brother! A butter bar is nothing more than a private with a degree! Rolling Eyes Worse yet, a private who expects to automatically command respect. I had a platoon leader once who was VERY book smart- I'll give him that. However, we went out for a three day field problem where the butter bar sent out an advance party to set up the command tent. By the time we got out there, the CP was up, commo was up and running, and the lieutenant's pot-bellied stove was running HOT. Meanwhile, the platoon shows up and has to start setting up two COMPLETE 6-bag (10,000 gallons each) Fuel System Supply Points. While that was going on, I was on an 8 man team from my platoon with an 8 man team from the other platoon, out to set up a couple Forward Area Refuelling Points for Chinooks. We got that done and made it to the platoon area around 2030. The rest of the platoon was still working on the FSSPs... I was told that a seargent had to go up to the butter bar around 1600 and say, "Uh, sir? Don't you think we ought to detail a few people to start setting up the GP Mediums for people to sleep in?"

Way for him to think about the troops. Then he wanted to strut around the platoon area like he knew what the heck he was doing, and wanted us all to bow in deference to him. Yeah, right!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I couldn't understand A THING you said on that previous post Skyler.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Gry. I don't know if you're a military type or not, but I'm guessing not.

A butter bar is a 2nd Lieutenant. Lowest rank in Officer's corps. A private is the lowest in the enlisted corps.

If you need more clarification, let me know. I'll school ya in the military jargon. 8)
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood every word and thought it was funny.

Butter Bar is gonna get socked in his bunk.
to finance my 'vette!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it still makes little sense to me. Don't have a military bone in my body... unless you count some hours or playing Battlefield.

It's funny, I re-read it, and I still can't understand what the "butter bar" did wrong.

I'm actually glad I don't understand military slang....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: