The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Reflec Coating
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Reflec Coating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reflec Coating Reply with quote

A player recently brought up the notion of coating a capital ship in reflec coating like a Storm Troopers armor.

What are the rules behind this. Can it truly be done "with ease" as they claim?
to finance my 'vette!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine that it could be done at great expense and not at all easily. I mean, in the novels, the Millennium Falcon got painted with a matte black substance... I don't remember if it was simply paint or if it was something like the reflec. I DO remember that Booster Terrik, upon reaching an agreement with the New Republic that allowed him to keep his newly named Errant Venture, tried to get enough red paint to coat the ship in. The only color he could lay hands on in sufficient quantities (not to mention not quite so exhorbitant cost) was Imperial White. I'd have to say that if it was so prohibitive to simply get a different color paint, it'd be near impossible to get a special coating of reflec... unless the characters happen to have control of a facility producing the stuff in mass quantities, AND are able to commandeer as much of it as they want without causing the facility to be shut down due to bankruptcy...
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a capital ship it's 50,000 per ship hull die to use sensor baffling countermeasure coating. I would use this as a guideline for developing a rule for coating a ship. Determine the value of the material you're working with relative to sensor baffling, and then work from there.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the info.
to finance my 'vette!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I would imagine coating a ship in reflec material would not only be cost prohibitive, but also of limited effect, as there are areas of the hull that could not be protected (sensor blisters, weapons mountings, thruster ports, etc...). It may grant limited bonus at best, and would hardly be worth the expense. Not to mention, I am sure there are unforseen side effects to this (sensor noise caused by ambient energy reflecting off the hull, causing an almost perpetual Ion-corona, etc...). If it were simple, effective, and reliable, it would have already been done. Also, keep in mind, that carbon scoring, damage from micro-particle impacts, atmospheric entries, and the like will play havoc on that reflec paint job, requiring constant maintenance for it's continual effectiveness. By making such a modification, you increase maintenance times almost 100 fold (depending on the size of the vessel), making continued service and operation of the vessel no longer cost-effective or efficient in man hours.

Just a few thoughts.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Hmmm, I would imagine coating a ship in reflec material would not only be cost prohibitive, but also of limited effect, as there are areas of the hull that could not be protected (sensor blisters, weapons mountings, thruster ports, etc...). It may grant limited bonus at best, and would hardly be worth the expense. Not to mention, I am sure there are unforseen side effects to this (sensor noise caused by ambient energy reflecting off the hull, causing an almost perpetual Ion-corona, etc...). If it were simple, effective, and reliable, it would have already been done. Also, keep in mind, that carbon scoring, damage from micro-particle impacts, atmospheric entries, and the like will play havoc on that reflec paint job, requiring constant maintenance for it's continual effectiveness. By making such a modification, you increase maintenance times almost 100 fold (depending on the size of the vessel), making continued service and operation of the vessel no longer cost-effective or efficient in man hours.

Just a few thoughts.

Agreed. And if it could be done, then IMO the imperials would already be using it, and be keeping an Eye on the paint itself...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, Kage! Great points. (Honestly, I hadn't even thought it that far out. Given the problems Booster Terrik had with just trying to get regular old RED paint to coat his Impstar Deuce with made me figure that something useful like reflec would be absolutely impossible to get, especially in that kind of quantities.)
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capital ships are also large enough that the minor benefits granted by the coating wouldn't be worth the cost. What's +1d to a sensor sneak roll if your size grants the operator a +5d bonus? And it's easy to detect you? Yeah.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it. The only possible bonuses would probably come at extreme range. Definitely NOT worth the cost...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: