The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Capital Ship Guns
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Capital Ship Guns Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Capital Ship Guns Reply with quote

A Star Destroyer has 20 turbolasers, 20 ion cannons and 6 tractor beam projectors in it's front arc.

If it wants to hit a single target, say the player's light freighter, am I supposed to technically roll the dice 46 times?
(Or more logically, use combined actions and add 46 worth of crew to the roll?)
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i do is roll by the type of weapon being used. A combined roll for the turbolasers, another for the ion cannons, and another for the tractor beams.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far, far less than that. That would be massive overkill. Like shooting a Battleship's full load of 16 Inch Deckguns at a Speedboat. (Have about the same ability to hit it, as well!).

Don't forget that every shot fired has to be accounted for by some Bean Counter.

If, however, the Captain has completely lost it (After being told to "Kiss My Wookiee", for instance), then, yes, roll all those times.

Then disreguard the rolls unless it's cinematically appropriate.

'Course, if they're taunting the captain of a Star Destroyer... They pretty much deserve whatever is coming at them.

No, more likely, a couple of flights of Tie Fighters is more likely to be sent after the Ship. After all, a single smuggler isn't worth the full might of a Star Destroyer. Only a worthy opponent is.

And the Tie Fighter Pilots need the live target practice. And moan too loudly when they don't get every opportunity they can get.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use the combined action thing Chabit mentioned. The Turbolasers combine for a single roll at a bonus of 6d to hit, same with the Ion Cannons. The Tractor beams, not as much.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:

If, however, the Captain has completely lost it (After being told to "Kiss My Wookiee", for instance), then, yes, roll all those times.

Then disreguard the rolls unless it's cinematically appropriate.

'Course, if they're taunting the captain of a Star Destroyer... They pretty much deserve whatever is coming at them.

Why would you disregard it if you are going to roll, unless it meets some arbitrary 'cinematically appropriate' time??
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think all of the weapons can fire in 1 direction. And ALL the weapons firing at once would probably drain the ship of power from vital areas.

I think multiple guns are meant to provide a more consistent source of firepower, so you don't have to wait for the guns to cool down (and be vunerable)

But I think TIEs would be a more likely threat.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Why would you disregard it if you are going to roll, unless it meets some arbitrary 'cinematically appropriate' time??

Because if you're hit with a few Turbolasers from a Star Destroyer, you're just bought the Nerf Farm. And that's the end of the characters.

It's the GMs job to keep the story moving, not kill everyone.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do is break down the total sum of the weapons IN ARC, and fire multiple groupings at them. So say the Star Destroyer has 20 in its front arc, like you said. Not every one of them is going to fire at the exact same time, and the size of the Star Destroyer will spread the area where the turbolasers are across a wide range compared to the target. So I might break them down into 4 groups of 5 guns.

Roll combined actions for the 5 guns of the first group and determine if they hit. Then do the same for group number 2, then 3, and finally group 4. Chances are, unless your PCs are completely stupid, they'll be doing everything in their power to evade the shots and get away from the STar Destroyer. Also likely, the 4 groups will likely miss (due to scale differences) but some shots may come close. I'd use those numbers to create dramatic tension rather than just saying "they missed." Imagine the stream of deadly turbolasers streaking out from the nose of the Star Destroyer as it lumbers after the escaping ship. The green bolts streak to the right and left, so detonating too close to the ship, buffeting it and causing the intertial compensators to strain, throwing things all over the ship. One blast narrowly skims the shielding, and a light begins to flash wildly as it indicate deflector shield fluctuations. The ship rocks from the constant barrage of shots coming from the big ship.

Something like that.

If you break every shot down individually, the dice will eventually turn up a hit on the little ship and you'll likely have a vaped ship, if not a severely damaged one. That's why I break them into clumps. It's more entertaining than one roll, offers a bit more chance of hit (and more stuff to work with as a GM) and tends to give the mind's eye a better view of stuff that you've seen in movies or computer games.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's more entertaining than one roll, offers a bit more chance of hit (and more stuff to work with as a GM) and tends to give the mind's eye a better view of stuff that you've seen in movies or computer games.

Plus, it might give them pause the next time they want to tell a Star Destroyer captain to "kiss their Wookiee" if they barely manage to scrape out of that situation with their rear ends intact.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in agreement with Grimace's answer, it is well thought out and makes for good gaming. Also, why would the star destroyer unload all of it's ordinance at such a small and relatively harmless vessel? And why use the tractor beams if you are firing Ion and Turbolasers? Just because it's there, doesn't mean it will all be fired at once. They would use the Ion cannons and tractor beams only if they are trying to capture the vessel in question, otherwise they would just be using turbolasers. It's a good bet that if they are trying to capture the ship, they won't be firing turbolasers at it.
therritn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: My rule Reply with quote

I've usually done star destroyer weapons like this. Since there are 20 TL , 20 IC, and 6 TBs in an arc, I first leave it to the captain of the ISD to choose what weapon the ISD would use. Second, since in the movies ISDs seem to shoot off two bolts at the same time, I shoot off two TL bolts and roll for each bolt. Another way is to use the Star Warriors game rule which has an ISD weapon table.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Because if you're hit with a few Turbolasers from a Star Destroyer, you're just bought the Nerf Farm. And that's the end of the characters.

It's the GMs job to keep the story moving, not kill everyone.

Then why have the cap ship fire??

As to how i handle it. Most of the time, when a cap ship is shooting at a fighter, it only uses ions. THEN when it hits, it shuts down the target. Much easier to capture that way....
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Capital Ship Guns Reply with quote

TarlSS wrote:
If it wants to hit a single target, say the player's light freighter, am I supposed to technically roll the dice 46 times?
(Or more logically, use combined actions and add 46 worth of crew to the roll?)

Sure. Go for it. You'll only have to do it once, then the players (with their new characters) will never challange an Imperial Star Destroyer again! Having players sit through the description of hit after hit blowing chunks out of their ship is a great way to explain why freighters do what the Imperial Navy tells them to do.

-or-

You could stop rolling for the turbolasers once the player's ship is dead in space (probably with most of the players dead or wounded). A turbolaser attack is not very precise, after all. I imagine any Imperial officer would enjoy telling the Rebels "Surrender, or we'll fire the rest of our weapons".
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, Star Wars is a role playing game. If they want to play the role of a starship crew destroyed by an Imperial Star Destroyer - they should be allowed to. Maybe they'll play something different with their next characters...
hitmark
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if a player insists on killing his character after warnings from the GM, then the character dies.

thats diffrent from the GM just declaring the character dead for some random reason and so on...

btw, what is the canon interpetation for crew entrys on capital ship guns?

like say that one from the star destroyer turbo lasers that go something like this:

crew: 1(20), 2(40)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: