The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Vader's public title and the fate of Kamino?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Vader's public title and the fate of Kamino? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Vader's public title and the fate of Kamino? Reply with quote

A couple questions for all you wise people out there.

If the Emperor ever allowed Vader to be in the public's eye (i.e.: shown on the Holo News Net) after the events in EpIII... how do you suppose he referred to him? Basically, I'm wondering what Vader's official title was when mentioned in public. I'm not talking about explaining Vader's authority or title to members of the Imperial masses... rather, I'm talking about the countless number of galactic inhabitants. (i.e.: Would many "average Joes throught the galaxy know of Darth Vader... and if so... how would they place him within the Imperial Political/Military system?)

Along those same lines... do you think the Emperor would have made an effort to keep Vader's existance a secret from the peoples of the Galaxy... never allowing him to even be mentioned publicly?

Next... Does anyone know the fate of Kamino, it's people, and the cloning facilities after EpIII? Has it ever been talked about in any of the WotC books or novels? Certainly the Empire could not allow them to continue operating, could they? Wouldn't that have posed too much of a threat to the Armies of the Empire?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His title was "Lord". He was an advisor to the Emperor, and a representative to him in a number of situations.

But he's one of many of them. The average Joe *MIGHT* have seen him in the background of a Holotransmission of the Emperor, and figured he was probably some Bodyguard, what with the strange armour and all.

I'm also willing to bet that Vader was a busy boy, however, and was quite often away on business.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. I don't see Vader being publicized and touring the galaxy, but I don't see him being hidden either. I think the most effective way would be to just have him there, looking menacing, showing up from time to time. And then the average folk would soon start circulating rumors:

-"You see that bloke in black armor behind the Emperor?"
-"Sure, that's Lord Vader"
-"Yup, I heard he single-handedly "took care" of the riotings in Ord Mantell"
-"Really? A cousin of mine told me his teacher once saw him kill one his own stormtroopers with a wave of his hand!"

..and soon he'd be one of those widely feared public faces, who no-one knows for sure how he fits in the grand scheme of things. They just know to get out of his way.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to concur. As I see it, people in higher-up positions throughout the galaxy (legitimate or criminal) would probably know that Vader was Palpatine's right-hand-man. Beings of lower station would probably just know that he was high on the Imperial totem pole, but not know exactly HOW high. But everyone would know that he was bad news, and that they needed to steer clear; and if he changed course to their vector, they were screwed.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the Emperor is completely open about Vader. Vader probably has as much public face as the US Secretary of Defense. Everybody can guess what he does, but nobody's sure how he does it.

In the movies, Lord Vader appears to be well known amongst the military.

If I were the Emperor, I'd keep Kamino operating indefinately. The Rebels may have other ideas, however.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Kamino goes, everything I've seen says basically that the Emperor outlawed cloning. Of course this would be to prevent someone doing to him what he did to others. Also, it didn't stop him from building his own cloning facility on Wayland to keep himself supplied with an infinite supply of bodies for himself...

I've never actually read anything on the fate of the Kaminoans, but I highly suspect that Palpatine would have acquired anything he wanted from them, then summarily wiped them out to prevent their further interference. That's just MHO but it's not an UNeducated guess...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
If I were the Emperor, I'd keep Kamino operating indefinately. The Rebels may have other ideas, however.

Ahh,. But how would the rebels get wind of them, to have other ideas...
Darius
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obiwan could have told Bail Organa about the facilities on Kamino (especially since he has seen them close up).
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to like the idea that Vader wasn't hidden, but also was not "publicized" (excuse my spelling). Although... as strict and disciplined as the Imperial army was, I find it difficult to believe that he could go anywhere among the ranks of the Imperial military and give orders without raising any eyebrows. Wouldn't they question who he was and what authority he held... at least until Vader strangled a few of them first... among every new group of Imperial military that he encountered. Seems like it would hinder Vader a little bit.

I was hoping there was some info on the future of Kamino, but I guess there isn't. I couldn't see the Emperor allowing the Kaminoans to continue offering their cloning services OR even remaining in operation at all. It sems like the Emperor would just consider them too much of a threat.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I believe what we were discussing here is Vader's "public image". I'm sure every single trooper or Imprial support personnel is well aware that Vader is the Emperor's right hand his demands are second to none.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Oh, I believe what we were discussing here is Vader's "public image". I'm sure every single trooper or Imprial support personnel is well aware that Vader is the Emperor's right hand his demands are second to none.

...Well, second only to the Emperor, of course... although I'd HATE to be the one to say to him, "B-b-b-but, ah, my lord, ah... the Emperor already told me to do it THIS way..."

*strangled, gurgling sounds immediately follow*

"Objection noted, Commander."
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, even worse, "Of course, Lord Vader, immediately!" "But did not The Emperor tell you otherwise, no matter who told you?" "But, don't you speak with the Emperor's Voice, Lord?" "No matter who. His words exactly." *Raises Hand*
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:

But how would the Emperor go about this? How would Vader be introduced to the vast number of Imperial officers? Do you think he would go to the region's Grand Moff and introduce Vader personally... then the Moff would introduce Vader to the next-in-command... and so on? Or... do you suppose many of the officers would just accept Vader's command without any introduction at all? i.e.: Vader's shuttle boards a Star Destroyer... he steps out... begins giving orders... anyone who questions him is strangled...? If that's the case... then if I have a character who is wearing an impressive suit of armor with his buddies disguised as stormtroopers... would he be able to get a high ranking officer to follow his orders??? I'm just curious how everyone else thinks Vader's authority works within the regular Imperial military (and without).
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the answer to this lies in the end of Episode III. We have a number of clone troopers assisting the Emperor with retrieving Anakin and getting him armored up. Now, just for the sake of argument, let's say the Emperor kills each and every one of those troops so they can't pass around the word of Anakin's ordeal- keeping the word of that viscious defeat from spreading among the ranks. Now we'll head back into what we've actually seen: we saw the Emperor, with Darth Vader standing right beside him, at the observation viewport on a Star Destroyer, overseeing the construction of the Death Star. Moff Tarkin comes up and shows Palpatine some data, then is dismissed. Right there we have evidence that the Emperor and Vader made public appearances- at least public as far as the military is concerned. Anyone worthy of standing unguarded at the Emperor's side is obviously someone whose word should be taken at face value. And believe me, the word about someone of that stature would DEFINITELY get circulated among the ranks. While Palpatine may or may not have had Vader at his side for functions involving the general public, the military at least would have no doubts as to Vader's credentials. And word would also have gotten out among the galaxy's populace as time went on. I'm sure that for at least some of these functions Vader would have acted in a bodyguard capacity- in addition to or instead of- the Imperial Guards.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also explains why some people would have the guts to try and talk back to Lord Vader.

"I find your lack of faith... Distrubing."

His position isn't completely military, and is only rumoured. Most folks know not to mess with him, as he's likely to have the Ear of the Emperor. But, maybe his reputation is overblown.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: