The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

PCs and stupid deaths
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> PCs and stupid deaths Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Side question... What would be the damage of being 'spaced'???

Idea NASA research indicates people can withstand vacuum for short periods of time. I would assign damage as all-over decompression damage (the bends, broken blood vessels, blindness, etc):

1 round: wounded
2 rounds: wounded twice
3 rounds: incapacitated (permanently deaf from ear drum rupturing)
4 rounds: mortally wounded (permanently blind from eyeballs popping)
5 rounds: dead

So, if the character survives, cybernetics may be in order. I would make no allowance for high strength (sorry, Wookies). I would not allow a Strength roll of any kind.

Last edited by Volar the Healer on Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that Volar. Easy & simple.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. and not allowing strength to resist it makes sense because the characters own strength can be a contributing factor to his own internal pressures.

'Yeah, you get 7d to resist, but you add 7d to the damage if you try..."
to finance my 'vette!
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly!
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webcomc that's appropriate to the discussion: http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20010529.html
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remembered another event in one of my games.

A PC was being shoot at while he was trying to save a small child (it could have have been a baby, don't remember). He ran down an alley and was trapped. He turned around and saw a squad of stormtroopers following him. He yelled something about killing the child. ST responded by saying something about not caring about it. So he rans out USING the kid as a BODY SHIELD. I asked the player if he really wanted to do this and he said yes.

OK, I said.

In the mayham that followed the rest of the party arrived and fired at the ST. They yelled "save the kid". The ST ignored his PC for a little while until he took out his blaster. It became a three way battle (as the other PCs could not see the first player's PC).

But so far the baby totting PC was doing good. Until I had another player say "I'm shooting anything that is white and moving. One failed Per check later he shot the diaper of the baby, the first PC used CPs to save the kid but not himself. Confused Confused Confused

But he did get a few bonuses for his next PC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for treying to give advice, but as I said, I already tried these various aproches. Rolling Eyes
I was merely commenting I may be forced to use a situation that will result in a death that a player will find unsatisfactory or unfullfilling.
Dan Solo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
As for the fellow who shot himself in the head, I would have liked to know what he was thinking too...but all he told me was "Because I can."

I bet this was a case of "I have 30 hit points, and this gun only does 2D10 damage!" syndrome...
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 to 1 odds in your favor Dan Solo.
Cazziuz
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the player didnt die, but was really close.

Gm- "make a dex check to see if you can grb anything as you fall"
Squib- "..... I ..... Fumble and roll a 3"
Gm- "well, there's two ways to look at this, you stop falling. But you take 3d damage and you're arm hangs in a pinch"
Trianii-" I'll climb down after her!"
Gm- ok, roll the climb"
Trianii- "I roll a... 4 and fumble"
Gm- "ok, as you get near the squib, some of the rocks you are standing on starts to tumble down becuese of your wight. Make a dex tjeck.
Trianii- "ok, dex. Fumble and gets 7"
Gm-"ok, squib, the trianii falls down on you, and you take 1d damage.
Squib- "I hope this is'nt a 6"

To make a long story short, it was only because i took a safety harnes and climbing equiqment on that they survived. I was playing as a medic with 7d in medical... Tech was on 2d, str2d and dex 3d. he could only do diplomancy, 4d in blaster... oh my god the others would have died SO many times if i hadnt played that medic...
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they die, it okay! part of the fun of gaming is making new characters. The other part is learning from mistakes. My first character died after years of playing him because he fumbled with a thermal detonator. Needless to say my other characters don't carry anything like that unless they have at least some skill. 10d is not a laughing matter. Confused
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it isn't. Although we did have a Barabel PC that survived it once. Power Armour, High Strength, and a Force Point allowed him to survive, even though the GM also boosted the power on the Thermal Detonator, as he had thrown himself on it to save us.

Did lose his leg, however.

In the immortal words of Lac Nars, the Uber-NPC, "Did your metal egg hatch?"

He then handed over a brocure for cybernetics, having experienced the loss himself.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10D isn't a laughing matter... unless you have the 10D in blaster and you're firing at point blank range... Wink
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember one game where a PC had the idea of throwing a grenade at a group of pirates while they were raiding a cruise ship. It blasted a hole in the wall due to a large damage roll and ended up sucking all of our character into space as well as a handful of pirates and about 20 civilians.

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'OH!!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: