The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ship Construction Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Ship Construction Rules Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SunFury79
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Ship Construction Rules Reply with quote

Hey there. I'm looking for some ship construction rules. Anyone konw where I can find them? I have Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters, which has all the modification rules, but nothing on how to build them from the ground up.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are not any construction rules per se, but it is easy to get a ballpark figure of how much a ship will cost. The YT-1300 is a good ship to use as a benchmark. Just use the prices in GG6 and subtract the cost of specific pieces of equipment to get a base price. Now different ships will have different base prices but this will at least give you a general idea.

Just look for a ship that has similar stats to the one you want to build and make adjustments from there. I also keep in mind things like how much power does the ship burn. For example, I probably wouldn't let a medium freighter have any more than two Turbolasers (damage 7D) because they might eat up too much power. If you don't see any other ships that have this there is probably a good reason.
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've toyed with the idea of using a "power points" system to describe how many toys a ship can have online at any given time. Most take only 1 unit of power, bigger ones can take up as much as 5. (Don't mix fighter and capital scale equpment. It gets messy)
SunFury79
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I didn't really think there were any hard and fast rules. Though, that's a good thing, because then you can design a ship you really want.

I actually used the "find a ship that's close and make adjustments" route and it worked out pretty well. I did up the Consular-class cruiser (The red ship from the very begining of Ep. 1) off the Corellian Corvette since in the fluff I found, the Consular was the Vette's predecessor. It turned out pretty good.

I also thought about using the Mekton Z ship construction rules. I've done some crossover work with that system to d6 and it seems to work out pretty good if you can get the math to work out right.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try the new D6 Space Starship rules. I believe there is a book from the new D6 system dedicated to starship construction. From what I have read, the new D6 system uses a Power Points system, as well as a rough Mass system.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own that book, and it's a good read. You'll have to adjust the prices, however. But that's about it.

I like they incorporated a rule for energy plants!
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: GREAT NEWS! Reply with quote

I have some great news! Some years back, I created a starship construction system for the D6 system. I wanted it to be more than just Star Wars, so I threw in all kinds of weapons and drives. A friend of mine used his impressive PHP skills and compiled the whole thing into an interactive ship construction program.

Well, he had it on his site for a while, but then things happened to the site. The program went down and his site never got back on its feet. Anyway, another fellow recently emailed me about the program from some other mention of it somewhere, and I sent him the coding that I had (thankfully I had a backup of the code) and he has been gracious enough to find someone that will host the program.

Mind you, this is a PHP program, so you can construct ships just by visiting the web page. You don't have to install anything to get it to work.

So, without further ado, you can go to http://d6.ironsind.com/ShipGen/shipgen.php and check it out for yourself. While it's not specifically for D6 Star Wars, you can make star wars ships on it...plus a whole lot of other types of ships! Check it out and let me know what you think.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace, this site is GREAT! I'm having fun RIGHT NOW making up some ships...
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this site is great. spent several hours playing with this one. Fun Smile Smile Smile .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of the rules and formulas you used becoming available in PDF or TXT? I do most of my RPG work outside of my computer room, and prefer to have print to work with.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was great Grimace.

I think we should make our own ship construction book. Starfighters, freighters, and capital.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ship construction system, i got from a fellow GM in england. Anyone interested in it, PM me your email, and i will send it... 163K is it's size. And it is in Word.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those 4 who PMED me. Check your email....
A.M. Carl Stroz
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Ship Construction Rules Reply with quote

Very Happy
Cool! I've always wanted Creation Rules but couldn't devote the time to creating. Am having a blast at the web site!
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I have a ship construction system, i got from a fellow GM in england. Anyone interested in it, PM me your email, and i will send it... 163K is it's size. And it is in Word.
Why did I not see this post earlier ? Rolling Eyes

I just worked a full week in order to modify Grimace's Starhip Generation method so that the estimated prices fit the prices or Star Wars Ships accurately.

I used many ships as references (Y-Wing, X-Wing, A-Wing, B-Wing, TIE Fighter, TIE Interceptor, TIE Advanced X1, Ghtroc 720, YT1300, YT2000, YT2400, TIE Lone Scout, Corellian Corvette, Corellian Gunship, Carrack Cruiser, VSD, VSD II, ISD II and MC90 Cruiser) and their prices come from both Star Wars D6 and D20. The prices for these ships are estimated with less than 5% error. 8)

Here is the modified Pricing/Generating method :
http://krapz.free.fr/Starships_Pricing.doc
http://krapz.free.fr/Starships_Pricing.pdf

Feel free to use it and test it, and feel free to comment: I think there could be some improvements Wink

ps : I'd be grateful if anybody could send me Garhkal's system so that I could compare Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: