The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

[Requesting Aid] Revised Force Lightning
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> [Requesting Aid] Revised Force Lightning Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jachra wrote:

Absorb dissipate is ridiculously useful, for being able to allow the Jedi to operate in high radiation/high heat areas alone. I'm not disagreeing that it should be a necessity to suck up Lightning, though, that seems perfectly acceptable. Indeed, my thought here is that the defense against Force Lightning is ALTER, not Control, but once you're hit only Absorb/Dissipate would work.

Not that often, but the idea is still preposterous. There's a set way to gain new Force Points and it represents a very nice system, where you're rewarded for heroism, not for being a poor conductor to electricity. Not to mention, I don't honestly think your logic here is workable. Maybe if the Jedi reached out to the source and snuffed out the power before it began? But even then, that's not worth giving a player a Force point unless it's a Dramatically Heroic Moment.

Meh... Absorb/dissipate is one of those super rare powers that gets rolled maybe once in a campaign. Specifically because it's easier to just soak damage with strength or defend against force powers with base control. Radiation? It's just as easy to get a bio-hazard suit and put it on instead of having to take a MAP for keeping the power up. Besides, non-Force users do it that way.

Even though the rules lay out the reasons for granting Force points, since we're in the house rules section, this is how I run it. I see a Force point as much more than just a measure of how "heroic" someone is. A Force point is, in my opinion a character's link to the Force, and, by some measure, a way in which the Force (i.e. the light side or dark side) "rewards" the character for acting according to it's will.

I mean... doesn't a Jedi gain a Force point for creating a lightsaber? How heroic is that? Still, it represents an accomplishment that brings him closer to the Force, and broadens, if not elevates his understanding of it.

Force lightning is such an inherently evil power (we only ever see it used against the most heroic characters by the most wretched villians) that dissipating it is in line with harmonious balance (and only Yoda ever even attempted this, which points to the level of control and mastery it would likely require... at least relative to the BBEG ("much to learn, you still have"). This is why I award the Force point for that particular feat.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I mean... doesn't a Jedi gain a Force point for creating a lightsaber? How heroic is that?

Is there actually an official rule to this effect? I am unfamiliar with it.
I would not award a Jedi a force point simply for making a lightsaber, and never have (and a Lightsaber Construction skill surfaced in my games long before there was a 2nd edition as the question came up often) - as despite the rarity of the weapons, I do not consider the construction of items to be Force Point Worthy (same for holocrons, Force Artifacts, or the bounty hunter amking a new blaster). The new, customized item is the reward for the succsful use of the skills.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After perusal of TotJ, I find no mention of a Force point gain upon completion of the lightsaber. It was my understanding that when the lightsaber is started, the Jedi "invests" a Force point (losing it) into it's creation, and upon completion, gains 2 back. It seems this is how it worked in d20, in which system lightsaber construction was much more difficult.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
After perusal of TotJ, I find no mention of a Force point gain upon completion of the lightsaber. It was my understanding that when the lightsaber is started, the Jedi "invests" a Force point (losing it) into it's creation, and upon completion, gains 2 back. It seems this is how it worked in d20, in which system lightsaber construction was much more difficult.

Yes, D20 was much more... liberal... with force points in my opinion.
I had never really required a Jedi prior to the printing of TotJ sourcebook to invest force points to construct a lightsaber, and have stuck by that decision for my games. Mostly I only breifly perused the rules in TotJ and JAS regarding Lightsaber Construction, as I already had guidelines based on the RotJ novelization and house rules for Jedi to build lightsabers in my campaigns since some of my earliest games. Mostly I used the rules printed to expand (like more powerful crystals, additional features, etc...) - however if I did require spending a force point, I might allow for the single force point o be returned (still not sure it qualifies under the D6 FP guidelines, but I am not unreasonable), I certainly would not award a second as that does require the expenditure to be of significant dramatic and heroic result...though perhaps constructing the saber for another to be delivered at critical time of need...still iffy.

I enjoy inspiring my player to do things that are bigger, bolder, more dramatic, more heroic, and off the hook so I tend to stick with Force Points as written mostly. My players have never expressed they felt cheated, and if they did feel they deserved more we discussed it. I have seen non-FS players reach the 5 point cap once they get the feel for it, and I have had a very few Jedi and force wielders reach near 10. I am sure if my games stuck together longer, I would have seen higher totals.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread derailed....

I think the fact that non Force sensitives are capped at 5 Force points illustrates that Force points represent more than just heroics. Doing something in-line with the will of the Force (being a hero), grants Force points.

The way I run it, dark siders don't even have Force points (they lose all of them as soon as they fall) and must call upon the dark side to use Force points at all.

Anyway, I award Force points for significant accomplishments, including dramatic heroism, representing the character's connection to the Force and how much the Force favors him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: