The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Attribute and Revised Force Skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force Attribute and Revised Force Skills Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be an unmentioned truth about RPGing that when you got the time to write up some new rules, you don;t have the chance to playtest them, and when you do have the chance to playtest them, you can't find the time to write the rules.

I think it's partly a free time budget thing, and partly an interest thing. When running a campaign, I have to worry about adventures, stats, and story threads, and usually don;t have the time to flesh out a houserule and set it up for playtest. When I'm not running, I got the time, but limited means of testing, and alos limited desire to write up rules that I won;t get a chance to use. I kinda go crazy just sitting at my keyboard typing and thinking of a bunch of esoteric stuff that only fellow gamers could understand.

It's one reason why I like to bounce ideas off others and post stuff on forums. Not only does that give me feedback on ideas, and exposure to the ideas of others, but it also helps to maintain a level of interest in the project.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, with Force as an Attribute, how would we represent characters or beings (like Yuuzhan-Vong or Ysalamiri) who either have no presence in the Force, or actually neutralize it? What would their Force attribute dice look like? Would a character with no Force attribute (not even a 0D for a non-Force Sensitive) still be able to use FPs and CPs for soaking rolls? Having the Force dampening abilities of Ysalamiri listed as an attribute would make it a lot easier to calculate how a group of ysalamiri reinforce each other's null-force bubbles (coordination rules).

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droids by the book can't be force sensitive, but still can use cp/fp (well pc droids)... so i would look at it that their force attrib would be 0d (or perhaps a -d against other force powers used on them), but they could still use cp/fp.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm experimenting with integrating WEG's D6 Space Advantage / Disadvantage system into a new game I'm starting. Rather than making Force Sensitive a part of the initial 18D at character creation, I'm thinking of making it part of the Advantage / Disadvantage option lists. Specifically, a character may purchase Force Sensitive dice as advantages, but must select corresponding disadvantages. The difference is that, rather than selecting advantages and disadvantages on a 1-for-1 ratio, purchasing extra D in Force Sensitive is on a sliding scale:
    Dice in Force Sensitive Attribute = Number of Mandatory Disadvantages
    1D = 1
    1D+1 / 1D+2 = 2
    2D = 3
    2D+1 = 4
    2D+2 = 5
    3D = 6
    3D+1 = 7
    3D+2 = 8
    4D = 10
    4D+1 = 11
    4D+2 = 13
    5D = 15
    5D+1 = 17
    5D+2 = 19
    6D = 21
    6D+1 = 23
    6D+2 = 25
    7D = 28
The way I'm playing, 7D is the absolute max for a FS character (this is the level Anakin was at), but the player must also select a major number of penalties and disadvantages for the character to be subject to.

Also, just as an aside, while the concept of midichlorians is generally disliked, a person's midichlorian count would be equal to 1000 x the character's pips in Force Sensitive. For example, Anakin, at the maximum of 7D, or 21 pips multiplied by 1000, has 21,000 (off the charts, over 20,000), while Yoda at, say, 6D+1, or 19 pips times 1000, has 19,000.

Finally, for every 1D of Force Sensitive, the character may select one Force power that he can use untrained, representing a natural aptitude for that particular power. At 1D, a character would likely still need to spend FPs or CPs to be able to use the power successfully, but at higher dice numbers, the character would have more conscious control over what he can do, even though he doesn't have a teacher and can't learn new powers without a teacher.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

I'm experimenting with integrating WEG's D6 Space Advantage / Disadvantage system into a new game I'm starting. Rather than making Force Sensitive a part of the initial 18D at character creation, I'm thinking of making it part of the Advantage / Disadvantage option lists.

The way I'm playing, 7D is the absolute max for a FS character (this is the level Anakin was at), but the player must also select a major number of penalties and disadvantages for the character to be subject to.

I like that idea, and have the d6 space PDF, so can actually talk smartly to this Wink

I think it takes care of keeping the initial FS character balanced with the others and not have to worry about the added attribute dice.

However, ... looking at your list and using Anakin as the example, you said he'd have 7D in force, but that would leave him with 28 disadvantages. What would all of them be (from the d6 space book)? I can see poverty, devotion (mother and at 4 points) enemy, & debt, possibly a quirk of anger/vengeance and bad luck but that only gives about 17 disadvantage points. How would you get the missing 11?

I do like the idea of the sliding scale, but is yours to steep?

Forgive all spelling errors.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
I like that idea, and have the d6 space PDF, so can actually talk smartly to this Wink

Excellent. I've read through the D6 Space book several times, and in many ways, it reads like what the SWRPG should have been if WEG had been allowed to do 3.0

Quote:
I think it takes care of keeping the initial FS character balanced with the others and not have to worry about the added attribute dice.

I'm also considering running with the idea of allowing characters to buy off Disadvantages between missions, using the same CP cost they would use to increase an Attribute. The only restriction would be that, since most Disadvantages involve roleplaying aspects, they would have to come up with a specific reason why, in addition to paying the CP costs.

Quote:
However, ... looking at your list and using Anakin as the example, you said he'd have 7D in force, but that would leave him with 28 disadvantages. What would all of them be (from the d6 space book)? I can see poverty, devotion (mother and at 4 points) enemy, & debt, possibly a quirk of anger/vengeance and bad luck but that only gives about 17 disadvantage points. How would you get the missing 11?

Well, for starters, there is Age (R2), as in TPM he is a pre-teen. I would also give him Employed (R3) instead of Debt. I'm not sure if Enemy is appropriate, but as a Slave, he might qualify for Prejudice (R2).

Quote:
I do like the idea of the sliding scale, but is yours to steep?

Possibly. I mostly put it that way so that the power of people like Luke and Anakin (who are supposed to be uniquely powerful) is beyond the reach of the average player character. IMO, it wouldn't do for "The Chosen One" and his equally powerful son to be surpassed by the average PC who managed to min/max his way into a 7D Force Attribute.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us without D6 space... could you list the disadvantages?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

There is an entire chapter devoted to it, so listing it in detail would require way too much room.

Fortunately, WEG has made the entire D6 System (featuring D6 Space, D6 Adventure and D6 Fantasy) available as a free download here and here. EDIT: I recommend the second link for simplicity's sake, as the first link requires that you set up a free account before you download.

I may not have the complete WEG book list, but what I do have is the following:
    D6 Adventure
    D6 Adventure - Creatures
    D6 Adventure - Locations
    D6 Adventure - Worldbook: Bloodshadows
    D6 Fantasy
    D6 Fantasy - Creatures
    D6 Fantasy - Locations
    D6 Fantasy - Magic
    D6 Space - Aliens
    D6 Space
    D6 Space - Ships
    D6 Space - Worldbook: Fires of Amatsumara
Of the three, Space is the most useful, as it essentially uses the same system as D6 Star Wars. The others are useful for reference and ideas, but they use different attributes and skills. (EDIT: However, D6 Space - Aliens has a conversion guide in the back so that you can convert monsters and other creatures from the other settings).

They also have a GM screen and a few other resources, but all of these books are available for free; all you have to do is track them down.

lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Here let me see if I can copy/paste it

Achilles’ Heel (R3, R4); examples (R3): Allergy, Cultural Allergy, Environmental Incompatibility, Metabolic Difference, Nutritional Requirements, Rot, Vulnerability; examples (R4): Allergy, Cultural Allergy, Rot, Symbiosis
Advantage Flaw (R1, R2, R3); examples (R3): Infection, Minor Stigma, Stench
Age (R1, R2)
Bad Luck (R2, R3, R4)
Burn-out (R1 or more)
Cultural Unfamiliarity (R1, R2, R3)
Debt (R1, R2, R3)
Devotion (R1, R2, R3)
Employed (R1, R2, R3)
Enemy (R1, R2, R3)
Hindrance (R1 or more); examples: Bad Knee, Rude, Trick Shoulder, Uncoordinated, Unobservant
Infamy (R1, R2, R3)
Language Problems (R2)
Learning Problems (R1 or more)
Poverty (R1)
Prejudice (R1, R2)
Price (R1, R2)
Quirk (R1, R2, R3); examples (R1): Dependency, Kleptomania, Indecision, Stutter; examples (R2): Dependency, Secret; examples (R3): Dependency, Paranoid, Phobic, Vengeful
Reduced Attribute (R2 or more)

The R is the amount of points each disadvantage gets you ...

crmcneill wrote:

Possibly. I mostly put it that way so that the power of people like Luke and Anakin (who are supposed to be uniquely powerful) is beyond the reach of the average player character. IMO, it wouldn't do for "The Chosen One" and his equally powerful son to be surpassed by the average PC who managed to min/max his way into a 7D Force Attribute.

Good point, and I agree ... Anakin Luke etc SHOULD be well outside the range of the average player. Sooooo 7 D = 28 disadvantage points should handle that.

For a normal character, I'd guess 3-5 D at start up so that's 6-15 disadvantage points. Which is much more doable to make a realistic but playable character

Forgive all spelling errors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: