The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stormtrooper Question...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Stormtrooper Question... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henrik.Balslev wrote:
Pel wrote:
Takes some pretty heavy lifelong indoctrination to create the Empire's elite shock troops.

Which is why the COMPYouth exists - its not unreasonable that the best COMPForce members become Imperial Stormtroopers

Almost like the Hitler youth..
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During ep IV, V and VI according to T. Zhan, stormtroopers are definitively hired from conscription. General strategy of the Empire is to valorise number whereas skills and fear. Cloning is forbiden as war droids.
Clones need years (at least 2 years) to maturate to avoid been completly fool, have a short life time (the faster they grow, soon they die) and need special high technology.
Human are brainwashed then trainned for some weeks and send to battle... And only the best of them survive (Sith doctrinia).

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of what you said, Phalanks. I see the entire Imperial military as either volunteers or conscripts.

Conscripts are either taken directly by the empire or are given to the empire by planetary governments to fulfill quotas.

I think that sets a good foundation of evil on the part of the empire.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I think that sets a good foundation of evil on the part of the empire.
True, but the use of conscripts vs volunteers makes the morality of the Rebels much less black and white. While true to real life, I like a bit more dichotomy in my space opera. YMMV.
S-Foil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there would have been much of a problem finding volunteers during the rise of the Empire. The core worlds have trillions of inhabitants. Even if you figure a fraction of them bought into the human high culture idea there's still plenty of people filling the ranks of the Imperial military.

If we assume the 25,000 Star Destroyer figure for the Imperial Navy is correct then at its peak the Empire is going to field roughly 242m Stormtroopers (assuming an SD's passenger compliment are all Stormtroopers). Also if we assume roughly a thousand sectors in the Empire and each has a regular Army sector army it only needs 1.5b regular army troops. That's a rough total of 1.742b ground troops for the Empire.

Out of trillions of human citizens in the core I don't think it would be impractical to find a quarter billion to be fanatical enough to be Stormtroopers and another billion and a half that would join the regular army.

It probably wouldn't be until after the Dark Empire era until the Imperial Remnant would even look at conscripts. After Thrawn's defeat and the Mutiny the Imperial ranks would have been seriously thinned. I would say even then conscription would have been a last resort. The Imperial Remnant could have backfilled their forces with mercenaries, lowered their standards to take criminals, and probably found a lot of true believers in their territory. After all there must have been a reason they held whatever territory they did besides pure subjugation. Out of billions they could have easily found millions to fill the ranks.
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Henrik.Balslev wrote:
Pel wrote:
Takes some pretty heavy lifelong indoctrination to create the Empire's elite shock troops.

Which is why the COMPYouth exists - its not unreasonable that the best COMPForce members become Imperial Stormtroopers

Almost like the Hitler youth..

ok I got the name wrong but it still exists Smile COMPNOR SAGroup
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kaloth Varsk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-Foil wrote:
My Stormtroopers changed with the times. In the early days of the Empire (before the prequels I guessed it rose about 20-30 years ABY) Stormtroopers were mostly clones since they were still plentiful after the end of the Clone Wars. As time passed and the Empire's military expanded they needed to fill ranks with natural born recruits.

By the time of the Battle of Yavin only the most elite of Stormtroopers were still clones with ones assigned to backwaters like Tatooine were natural born recruits. The Death Star's destruction devastated the Stormtrooper corps and after that most the PCs ran into were natural born recruits. Even Vader's fleet and the second Death Star would have had natural born troopers since they would have been interested only in the most capable troops regardless of lineage.

I used this to explain why Luke was surprised to encounter clones in the Thrawn trilogy. By the time he had enough strength in the Force to actually detect people most Stormtroopers he had ever encountered were natural borns rather than clones or one clone among a bunch of natural borns.

If you also want to stay consistent with the Thrawn trilogy, you can assume all the clone troopers eventually went insane, and had to be replaced by recruits as they did so. You have almost two decades for this process to happen before ANH.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
Wow. I must be all alone in my belief that the Stormtroopers were not clones when I watched them when the movies were originally released in theaters. The mention of the Clone Wars and all made me think that the clones were the BAD guys, not the people that eventually became the Stormtroopers. The two stormtroopers chatting in the Death Star was all the proof I needed that they were just trained soldiers, not some special clone forces.

Add in that it was apparently a big deal that Thrawn used clones to create his forces, and that even further reinforces my belief that ALL of the stormtroopers you see in the movies are NOT clones and are just better trained shock troops of the Empire.

Everyone has their own opinions. Some like to do whatever George Lucas says, or come up with ways to explain some of the inconsistancies from ol' GL, and that's their choice to do so.

My advice for the original poster to this thread....do what makes sense for the Star Wars game you want to run. If you think it's better to have the faceless minions of the Empire be a bunch of the same faces when they remove their helmet, then say that they're all clones. If you think it's better to have them be simply well-trained soldiers who use their uniform look to instill fear, then say they're not clones. Do what works for you.

This is exactly how I feel as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: