The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Alternate CP Rewards for Jedi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Alternate CP Rewards for Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Alternate CP Rewards for Jedi Reply with quote

As another facet of my Jedi character revision, I've been considering changing how Jedi characters receive CP rewards. Specifically, I want to reward Jedi for behaving "as Jedi". I have some ideas, insofar as respecting all life (and taking it only when absolutely necessary), respecting the Force (minimizing disturbances in the Force by using it only when absolutely necessary), and so on and so forth. Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem to me that if you were playing a Jedi character that playing in accord with the Jedi philosophy would be staying true to that character. I think even the RAW is pretty big on CP rewards for good roleplay and fewer rewards for metagaming and munchkinizing.

Personally, I think it's sound reasoning, so long as the characters know what to expect.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Personally, I think it's sound reasoning, so long as the characters know what to expect.

Exactly. IMO, the RAW provides general descriptions as to expected behavior for Jedi, but provides little in the way of solid rules and details (at least insofar as how those ethics and morals apply to in-game behavior). Experienced GMs and players can work with this, but not everyone in the gaming world is so blessed. Gamers who are just starting out might find more detailed, structured rules useful.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are you looking at writing up a chart or some sort of list?

I think your idea is well suited to the concept of "character points" as opposed to "experience points."
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
So, are you looking at writing up a chart or some sort of list?

Yes. It's the details of the chart that I'm fuzzy on.

Quote:
I think your idea is well suited to the concept of "character points" as opposed to "experience points."

That was my thought as well. Perhaps three different charts; one for the normal, non-FS characters, and one each for Light and Dark Side Force users.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been turning this over in my head for a while, and I can't really work out a chart or scale for CP awards.

Also, as a GM, I tend to concern myself more with whether a player plays true to his character, rather than true to a pre-defined set of standards (such as the Jedi Code).

That being said, if the player is playing a character who is a staunch adherent of the Jedi Code, it would make sense to me to increase the CPs awarded for acting according to the code.

Whereas if the character is slightly on the rebellious side, I would award more CPs for skillfully, entertainingly, portraying the character in that regard, so long as what the character does is inline with his personality and is consistent from one adventure to the next (and changes in point of view or philosophy should be developed in play, and are appropriate for deviations from the original concept when explored in proper detail).

I don't know what I'm trying to say really, just "thinking out loud," I guess....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

That was my thought as well. Perhaps three different charts; one for the normal, non-FS characters, and one each for Light and Dark Side Force users.

So each type of pc has a different chart for determining how many CP they get?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about just handing out CPs (or at least tracking them) as they are earned. For example, if the Jedi in the group uses the force in a very unique yet appropriate way, tally up a bonus CP or two. When the "scoundrel" of the group makes everyone laugh, add a CP to his tally. At the end of the session, give out the base CPs plus the bonus CPs.

You might also consider giving out CPs for rolls that went horribly wrong, yet the player or party managed to tactfully overcome the results, anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: