The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Gravitational Waves in Science Fiction
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Gravitational Waves in Science Fiction Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Personally I prefer jump points in my military science fiction. It makes space tactics a lot easier to manage.

I have considered the addition of wormholes-based travel to the SWU in a manner similar to the Honorverse, where wormholes are the space-bound equivalent of a short-cut, ala the Panama and Suez canals. In short, what I'm picturing is a handful of wormhole routes that provide instantaneous travel from Point A to Point B, as an alternative to hyperspace travel. However, wormhole travel only works with artificial "gate" mechanisms at either end (I picture something like a Babylon 5 jump gate centered on the wormhole terminus), and there are nowhere near enough viable wormholes to come close to supplanting hyperspace travel in general.

Quote:
But there is no indication in Star Wars that ships need to move to reach a wormhole entry point location. They just (according to WEG RAW) need to get far enough away from a gravity source for the hyperspace engine not to cut out. I seem to recall one of the movies or TV shows where a ship jumped to hyperspace close to a planet's surface (which seems to violate the WEG rule).

That's the escape from Jeddha scene in Rogue One, where Cassian jumps the U-Win into hyperspace while still within the atmosphere of the planet.

There's a way to make it work with the WEG rule, but it's somewhat convoluted. The latest iteration of the Gravity Well Projector suggests that gravity interferes with the accuracy of a hyperspace jump, and that, while gravity can't physically prevent a jump, it can cause it to deviate ever so slightly from course when it jumps. If that happens, a ship in hyperspace has no way to correct its course, and is now traveling on a slightly divergent actual course from its intended destination. That, IMO, is the origin of the hyperspace cut-out, to prevent a ship from jumping to hyperspace too close to a gravity field of sufficient strength that would interfere with the ship's course.

In the case of the escape from Jeddha, however, there was no course (K-2SO specifically stated that he hadn't finished the calculations), and the only intended destination of the jump was "anywhere but here ASAP." So my theory is that Cassian, as part of initiating the jump, also engaged a special modification that deactivated the hyperdrive cut-out, then activated the hyperdrive in a blind jump. Now, blind jumps are insanely dangerous, as the ship is now traveling down an unknown course, with no idea what obstacles may be in their path, and no way to detect them in time to stop. However, if the alternative is instant death by Death Star superlaser debris, it's still the lesser of two evils.

So what he did was make a micro-jump out of the system, then dropped out of hyperspace to reset the hyperdrive cut-out and recalculate a route to their next destination.

Quote:
Also descriptions of hyperspace make it seem like it is another dimension that has an isometry* to real space. In other words, every point in real space has an analogous point in hyperspace and objects in real space (or at least large objects in real space) have an analogous gravitational mass shadow in hyperspace. And you can jump to hyperspace anywhere that isn't occluded by a large mass, not just at certain wormhole points.

* It may not be an isometry. The variable hyperspace speeds for different routes make it seem like the mapping isn't distance preserving.

A fan fiction I read recently made an interesting point, that even seemingly straight-line hyperspace courses still have to account for space-time curvature...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
when we see hyperspace travel in star wars, the ship appears to be moving in a "tunnel".

Key word being "appears."

Quote:
Now if we call the hyperspace lines "wrom holes" then we have a technology that can open these when the ship is not affected by any significan gravitational pull.
Once they then open the "worm hole" aka enters hyperspace, they can freely calculate their coodinates, and all as long as there is no signifcant gravitational pull intefearing with the selected lane.
Once there enough gravitational influence, the lane stops and the ship bypass this gravitational pull in real space only to continue.

With blind jumps we could say that a full lane is not calculated, no end coordinate entered, making the danger of jumping and then hitting a gravitational anomaly, like a planet.

Micro jumps is explained in this, with both beginning and end coordinate being in same system, in a non gravitationally infulenced lane.

This mostly sounds like creating techno-babble simply for the sake of creating techno-babble, and has nothing to do with the original premise being discussed. If you want to discuss "hyperspace as wormholes," you need to start a separate topic, rather than just hijacking one that is discussing something else.

Quote:
We do see ships both get far enough away from gravitational pulls, as well see ships accelerate before entering hyperspace, to me this is where the opeing to worm holes is made, and the ship jumps.

The explanation there is that the appearance of acceleration is an optical illusion - pseudo-motion - and that no actual movement has taken place.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to the original question, I'm thinking of using Gravity Waves as an updated entry on the Astrogation Mishap Table. My thinking is as follows: Astrogation is about calculating an accurate course through hyperspace, and all of the possible Astrogation Mishaps involve somehow going off course or miscalculating. Except the Mynocks result.

It has always seemed silly to me that Bad Math somehow causes Mynocks to appear.

So, what I'm thinking is to just switch out the fluff on the Mynocks result with a new entry called Gravity Waves:
    9 - Gravity Waves. The ship encounters an uncharted (or "rogue") gravity wave, which affects the ship's course. Roll 1D:
      1-3 - Duration of ship's journey increases by 1D days.
      4-5 - See Hyperdrive Cut-Out result.
      6 - See Off Course result.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: