The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rebel Pilots and Ejecting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Rebel Pilots and Ejecting Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reyus Graven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they eject in space? I could see ejecting in the atmosphere but space. If you don't have some sort of lifepod your chances are so minimal at being found. The lifepod usually gives off an emergency signal to be picked up by anyone that may be able to respond.

Other then that it could be like some sort of environmental force field. But without a good supply of oxygen I couldn't imagine being able to maintain that for more then a few minutes at best. In the atmosphere I could see it, just eject like a normal pilot would.

Even with a pressure suit you wouldn't be able to survive in space for long. A persons is harder to find then a ship in space. Assuming you didn't eject in the middle of a space fight. Of course if your ship is going to go boom then I guess I would take any chance I got.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel Pilots and Ejecting Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:
Anyone want to take a stab at how Rebel/New Republic pilots survive ejecting? In the books, they eject on occasion, but I've yet to see anyone explain how the pilots survive. That is to say, they are conspicuously lacking in the "sealed helmet" department. Anyone have a feasible answer?

Try checking one of the Rogue Squadron books. I think it's The Bacta War that might have the answer. Narwara Ven had to eject and lost an arm because of it. Think the ejection seat is supposed to have a short lived personal shield.

Wanted Poster
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's the deal.

Plus, individual pilots might also have their own gear to augment their survival rate in cold vaccuum...
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel Pilots and Ejecting Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
Try checking one of the Rogue Squadron books. I think it's The Bacta War that might have the answer. Narwara Ven had to eject and lost an arm because of it. Think the ejection seat is supposed to have a short lived personal shield.

I think Narwara lost a leg and it was Ooral who lost an arm. I remember the description of him flailing about in space which doesn't sound like someone who was attached to a chair. I forget which book it was though.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooryl lost an arm in Rogue Squadron, but I will definitely thumb through The Bacta War to see about Nawara Ven. Thanks HC!
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was his leg.

Wedge: "Does hopping on one Durasteel Leg mean anything in your culture, Nawara?"

Nawara Ven: "You're asking me?" *Indicates Leg*
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
It was his leg.

Wedge: "Does hopping on one Durasteel Leg mean anything in your culture, Nawara?"

Nawara Ven: "You're asking me?" *Indicates Leg*

Heh, that is an awesome quote Very Happy

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it. No mention of anything other than his flight suit sealing around his leg. Bummer.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Yeah, that is a question that has come up a lot in my gaming years. What we eventually settled on was that the open-face rebel helmet must have some sort of system thingy that automatically seals the rest of the pilot's face when he ejects. Something like a containment bubble or whatever. Since we never came to a solid answer, we decided just to accept that there is some thingy that seals the helmet completely and move on.

Same here. For me that 'sealing' provides 1hr of life support..
Melorn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the most recent X-wing book by Stackpole describes Corran losing his windows. Not sure if i'm allowed to quote for legality, but he describes a mag field projector. enough air for an hour, and he'd freeze.

Depends if you think Stackpole is the authority on X-wings Smile
Reaper63
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the chestbox is a portible life support system, int eh X-Wing novels, it activates a mag con field around the pilot, and the pilot can then survive for a limited time outside of the space craft. This is done both in space and within the confines of a planet.

In another one of the Roge Novels, it's mentioned that Corran doesn't wear a chestbox, cause the equipment is hardwired into the ejection seat. so it would seem the pilot stays with the seat.

In Dark Force Rising, Mara ejects from her headhunter, and survives even though the ejectionseat passes through a Ion blast. In the headhunter, I think the seat contained the primary life supportgear as well, but I'm not positive on that one.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, guys. Do any of you happen to have page numbers for any of this stuff, or at least specific novel titles where it's described?
Melorn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 185 in "Isard's Revenge" (book 8 )

One of the first few books describes Ooryl's going EVA, but I don't have those books with me.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Yeah, Ooryl's EVA has nothing specific about what keeps him alive, although most Gands don't respire anyway. Here's what the book says:

Quote:
...then the atmospheric pressure within the cockpit blew the transparisteel panel and all debris out into space.

The personal magnetic containment bubble projector each pilot was issued clicked on immediately, cocooning Corran in a thin layer of breathable air. Even with a full power charge, Corran knew he'd only have a hour [sic] or so of breathable air, and the cold of space would kill him sooner than that. He would have expected such a realization...

Corran goes on to patch the blown out panel and seal it (using a kit from underneath his flight seat), and the has Whistler repressurize the cockpit and turn the heat on. Seems we have an answer...thanks Melorn!
Melorn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, wasn't sure on whether it was ok to put the whole of the text there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: