The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dedicated heavy bombers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Dedicated heavy bombers? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how can we really gauge how big they are to say how many a ship of this size could carry?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So how can we really gauge how big they are to say how many a ship of this size could carry?

Well, maybe since we are playing in a fictional universe with little or no solid information to work with, maybe we could...I don't know...make something up?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B-52's are also much easier to shoot down than their successors, but when you absolutely have to carpet bomb everything into oblivion, the BUFF gets it done like no other. Accept no substitutes. 8)

I agree that 3 missiles is way too low and 6 is probably a more useful number. Doesn't do to fight your way into a target and then let them off with a sternly worded email. In keeping with the B-52 theme, why not mount the capital-scale stuff externally? Plenty of room outside the hull! Save the internal bays for the little stuff, decoy drones, or maybe one cap-killer each.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All true, but as I said before, this is the first of it's kind. Plus it is intended to be flown in squadrons.
A group of just 4 of these puppies will make most capital scale ship commanders pucker check. 24 capital scale torpedoes are also sufficient to cow a small backwater world, even if each run is only firing 8 at a time.
Now imagine a blitz style attack with dozens of these babies.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
B-52's are also much easier to shoot down than their successors, but when you absolutely have to carpet bomb everything into oblivion, the BUFF gets it done like no other. Accept no substitutes. 8)

Now, picture a B-52 disguised as, say, a 707. That's my thinking with regards to converting stock light freighters into bombers. Such a craft would be a versatile ordnance delivery platform, but project the image of harmless anonymity in transit to and from the target zone.

Quote:
Save the internal bays for the little stuff, decoy drones, or maybe one cap-killer each.

Star Wars doesn't seem to work that way. All the missile weapons shown in the films is carried internally. Even when I did the external pod section for my advanced starfighter combat project, I pictured ordnance stowed in armored tubes for protection prior to launch. Another factor could be that the launcher itself serves as a first drive stage, imparting higher initial velocity than the missile could achieve on its own.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:

I agree that 3 missiles is way too low and 6 is probably a more useful number. Doesn't do to fight your way into a target and then let them off with a sternly worded email. In keeping with the B-52 theme, why not mount the capital-scale stuff externally? Plenty of room outside the hull! Save the internal bays for the little stuff, decoy drones, or maybe one cap-killer each.

The Intruders were more of the external bomb carrying, while B-52s were all internal.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most B-52's currently in service have both internal bomb bays and external wing pylons.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected.. Thanks CRM..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump because I’m strongly considering revamping the Freefall-Class Bomber to work with my Ordnance Rules. My current thinking is to combine its background with that of theScurrg H-6. Short version, after the Battle of Naboo, where N-1 starfighters were unable to inflict meaningful damage to Trade Federation warships, the Naboo government decided to produce a heavy ordnance carrier to add striking power to their existing starfighter corps, with the Freefall ultimately being selected over the Scurrg H-6.

The two main changes would be the addition of a tail gun and rewriting the ordnance capacity to carry any ordnance on my list, not just gravity bombs.

Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:07 am    Post subject: Dedicated Heavy Bombers Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Ok, here is the first go at a Dedicated Heavy bomber

https://plus.google.com/u/0/117993279660351289096/posts/iiB8XWVv1jY?pid=6168499328287950562&oid=117993279660351289096

Craft: SB-2 Starhammer
Type: Koensayr DHB-P1 SB-2 Starhammer
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 28m
Skill: {Space Transport Piloting}: {SB-2 Starhammer}-Class {Starbomber}
Crew: 2 (Skeleton: 1 @ +15) + 6 Gunners
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 4D
Capital Ship Gunnery 4D+2
Space transport piloting 4D+2
Starship gunnery 4D+2
Starship Ship Shields 3D
Passengers: 0
Cargo Capacity: 2 Tons
Consumables: 2 Weeks
Cost & Availability: 300,000 credits new
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x16
Nav Computer: yes
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 7
Hull: 5D
Shields: 2D
Sensors:
Passive: 110/1D
Scan: 165/2D
Search: 220/3D
Focus: 4/4D
Weapons:
Double Laser Cannons
Fire Arc: 1 Front turret, Rear turret
Crew: 1
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
Damage: 5D
2 Double Light Ion Cannons
Fire Arc: Dorsal turret, Ventral Turret
Crew: 1
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Space Range: 1-3/7/36
Atmosphere Range: 0.1-0.3/0.7/3.6 km
Damage: 4D
2 Concussion Missile Launchers
Fire Arc: Front
Crew: 2
Scale: Capital
Skill: Capital ship gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Ammunition: 3 missiles each.
Space Range: 2-12/30/60
Atmosphere Range: 4-24/60/120 km
Damage: 9D

Capsule: Koensayr's massive success with the Y-wing starfighter during the Clone Wars led them to draw heavily on the design when the New Order demanded "Planetary Pacification" vessels. The SB-2 Starhammer was the first Dedicated Heavy Starbomber of the modern era. Boasting the same primary weapon delivery system found on Victory Class Star Destroyers, the Starhammer provided devastating long range bombardment options to locations far too remote to require a display of the Empire's power. Due to its size, the Starhammer handled more like a civilian freighter than the nimble Y-wing, making it a favorite of sector defense fleets, forced to draw from the civilian population due to Imperial conscription of trained personnel early in the New Order. While the SB-2 enjoyed a brief run of Imperial service during the Separatist Remnant conflicts, they were quickly replaced by the massive capital ships that were destined to become the symbol of the New Order. Squadrons of Starhamers can still be found in Sector Defense Fleets throughout the Galaxy. They serve primarily as Pirate hunters or Anti-Capital ship defense for those sectors unable to field many capital ships of their own. As with all such vessels, a few have found their way into the hands of the Rebel Alliance.

Thoughts?

Sounds good! i hope you're well & will return someday.
Either way, i'll be watching this thread with great interest!
I might be adding a few of these to Imperial stations...
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: