The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Research and Planning for SpecForce Write-Ups
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Research and Planning for SpecForce Write-Ups Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
In regards to snipers in particular, but also Special Forcces in general.

the D20 Moden suppliment called Blood&Guts is very good, it has sever custom feats that I think can be translated to D6.

This comes in addition to the various special forces write ups.

here are the two sniper spesific relevant feats @$$ described in the book ( Blood & Guts)

Marksman
You are skilled at long-distance accuracy with one
weapon.
Prerequisite: Weapon Focus (one ranged weapon),
Spot 5 Ranks.
Effect: You may use up to one-half your Spot skill
to offset attack penalties due to range with one ranged
weapon (effectively allowing you to ignore one penalty
for range per 4 Ranks of Spot). This feat may be taken
multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time the
feat is taken (requiring Weapon Focus to be taken again),
it applies to a different weapon.
Special: This feat grants you the Marksman badge
(see medals for more information on the effects of
badges and medals). The Marksman badge is awarded
each time you select this feat.

Sharpshooter
You are an expert shot with one weapon.
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus 5+, Weapon Focus
(one ranged weapon).
Effect: You gain +1 to hit, and +2 damage with the
chosen weapon. This bonus stacks with any bonus
gained from the Weapon Focus feat or the Weapon
Specialization Soldier advanced class ability. This feat
may be taken more than once. Its effects do not stack.
Each time you take this feat it applies to a different
weapon for which you have already taken Weapon
Focus.
Special: This feat grants you the Sharpshooter badge
(see medals for more information on the effects of
badges and medals). The Sharpshooter badge is awarded
each time you select this feat.

https://rpggeek.com/rpgseries/5796/blood-guts

IMO, if we had to use these (and only these) to distinguish between a military sniper and a police sniper, then the military guy would be a "marksman" and the cop would be a "sharpshooter."

This is essentially the difference that I am trying to convey from a RPG (opportunity cost) approach to character development and advancement.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

TL/DR: I don't know if I need two separate skills anymore.

Thank you for taking the time to help me understand your reasoning.
(I did read; wasn't that long. Wink )

I suppose my side boils down to your above comment. Intent is separate from skill.

I'd give the NPC SWAT sniper around 5D in blaster rifle and a typical military sniper around 7D in blaster rifle and call it a day, knowing that the SWAT guy is trained to do called shots more often, but the miltary guy could certainly do a called shot if he wanted/ had to.

But that's just me. In my Star Wars I use (as you probably know) a bunch of D&D style feats to augment the rules, which would give me access to a lot of the flavor you are going for.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Naaman wrote:

I suppose my side boils down to your above comment. Intent is separate from skill.

I'd give the NPC SWAT sniper around 5D in blaster rifle and a typical military sniper around 7D in blaster rifle and call it a day, knowing that the SWAT guy is trained to do called shots more often, but the miltary guy could certainly do a called shot if he wanted/ had to.

But that's just me. In my Star Wars I use (as you probably know) a bunch of D&D style feats to augment the rules, which would give me access to a lot of the flavor you are going for.

Given that SWAT snipers generally shoot at shorter distances, would this not make their shot at a lower difficulty?
So a 5D in blaster maybe even 6D would be more than enough to put shot after shot in a tight grouping at a fairly short range, meaning within medium ranges.

Military snipers, do not shoot all that much, hense why they are designated Scout-Snipers, with scout being first, most times they relay field intelligence, conduct recon and they shoot, and often at long to extrme ranges.

so I think that most NPCs will train to the level required and be "happy" with that. meaning some elte SWAT can maybe outshoot some snipers, but most if not all snipers out soldier the swat any day.

there are also other factors in the two, and this is their approach to sniping.

where a swat sniper often deply with a swat team, hving most intel beforehand, having been briefed, and having the lixury of safely setting up a shooting position, would IMO be radically different than what a military sniper goes trough, often having little to no beforehand intel, and do not have the luxury of firnedly environment to set up position, also most field intel needs to be conducted and in a warzone, I would say it is radically different.

A SWAT sniper is to me a Police Oficer that have some above normal (4-5D) stealth skills, and is a an expert shot, and specialized in sniper rifle.
But he is a Police Officer, with a Police officer skill set, not a military one.

I would maybe not give survival to a swat sniper, but rather streetwise, and vice versa.
I would also give wery different skill ranks, and maybe even some police/law enforcement skills added to the swat, while some obvious military "only" skills be given only to a military sniper.

This is in part why I think Sniper and many other special forces should be training packages.

Now a soldier is a "much" better combatant than a police offer on average.
both getting the "exact" same training package, and the police is now a police/swat sniper and the soldier is a military one.

because the soldier has higher combat skills he will be able to do what the swat snaiper does in mere shooting, but may not be trained in Hostage rescue and breach tactics, etc.
the swat man may not be parachute qualified, he may not be a good survivalist, or traied with demolitions to the same degree.
they will have differnt focus on communication skills, and invistgation, stalking skills and the like., most of this would be due to their differnt backgrounds.

the police officer's background would make his "police skills" and the military guy will have his "military" skills. it is not their sniper training that makes them different, it is theis other training.

in fact many FBI and even SWAT snipers actually do take the Army Sniper course........yet they are not army snipers. So the training doesn't make them differnt the background does.

I will try put up a template of police, swat team, and a military sniper, is a work in progress.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Naaman wrote:

Yeah.

When we are working within the boundaries of RPGs and character creation, there are choices that players make about what their characters can do.

One of the "problems" with D6 is how generic the skills are: Blaster covers everything that shoots lasers from hold out pocket pistols to EWHB cannons. The guy who just raises "blaster" can do it all, from Doc Holiday-type pistol dueling to Bob Lee Swagger mile-long sniper shots to platoon-slaying full auto Rambo-style gunnery.

So, if you have two characters in a group (one says he's a "sniper" and the other says he's a "machine gunner") and they both have the same blaster skill, they can each do exactly what the other can do just by trading weapons. I don't like that from a game design and character design perspective.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

Given that SWAT snipers generally shoot at shorter distances, would this not make their shot at a lower difficulty?
So a 5D in blaster maybe even 6D would be more than enough to put shot after shot in a tight grouping at a fairly short range, meaning within medium ranges.

I'm not certain that 5D or 6D is enough to make a rescue shot.

I'd put something like an "easy" rescue shot in the 8D range, with a "typical" rescue shot having a heroic difficulty (that is, a rescue shot is essentially the epitome of heroics, requiring expert level skill and nerves of steel).

On the other hand, a sniper shot from "way over there" isn't necessarily a heroic action and there is nothing especially significant about shooting a bullet at a non-threatening target from 800m. That being said, there are several shots taken by historical snipers that would require a heroic roll (due to the tremendous distance achieved by the shooter or the significance of the variables such as wind or elevation or movement having a tremendous effect on the difficulty of the shot).

To me, you cannot compare the capabilities of two different shooters just by comparing their on-paper performance.

For example, given a reasonable amount of time, I can hit the 9-ring at 100m with a rifle + red dot/magnifier in the prone all day long. Give me a scope with crosshairs where I can see the actual rings on the target, and I'll get inside the 10-ring all day long. Give me a scope where I can see the "X" and I'll hit the "X" all day long). This is with a M4 type rifle.

Besides the ring-based target, there are also "box-based" targets. Hitting the "A-zone" (a sniper's typical target, to my understanding) is even easier than hitting the X. A sniper will look for the "A" zone (which includes the heart and lungs), while a sharpshooter will target the heart, specifically (if he must take a torso shot; typically he would target the brainstem).

If I had to estimate what my skill is, I'd say I'm probably in the 5D to 6D range in shooting. Hitting paper is no problem at all. I can hit "moderate" difficulty targets reliably, and with enough prep/concentration, I can hit "difficult" targets reliably (average roll on 5D is 17.5, average on 6D is 21 so a "low roll" on 6D will still hit a "moderately difficult" target... that is, hit moderate difficulty reliably). I can hit "very difficult" targets occasionally.

When I have gone head to head with my coworkers in friendly impromptu/spontaneous competition (all military and police veterans), I have beaten all of them with no prep time for the competition, even the guys who "know more about shooting" than I do (one of whom had gone to DSM school in the Army). Note that several of my coworkers will out-shoot me in their sleep, but I have not had opportunity to compete against them directly, though I have received training from some of those guys... who make me feel like I'm in kindergarten. I said all that to say this: I do not feel that I am qualified to take a rescue shot from 50 or 100 meters, even though I can reasonably hit a target of similar size (brain stem, for example) when shooting at paper (given the right equipment), but I can consistently out-shoot "professional" (that is, 4D range) level shooters such as cops and soldiers.

I hope none of this comes across as bragging. Just trying to shed light on how I'm gauging what different shooters might have in terms of skill level.

Last edited by Naaman on Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't agree more naaman, I was merely refering to the diffculty with ranges.
with the common diffculty of a swat shot would be somewhat less on average.

when it comes to perction shots, yes these are difficult and would require heroic difficulties or at least close to.

my comment about diffculty was thus only in regards to range.

with this seeing the above d20 feat, I would give the sharpshooter, percition shooting to the swat, and marksmanship, accuracy at distance to the military sniper.

with the different skills, we can warrant a differnce in the blaster/firearms skill between the two.

with a 6D balster and a 3D Sharpshooter the swat will have 8D to shoot a rescue shot.
if a military sniper tried this, he may succeed, but his 7D blaster and 3D marksmanship, will only give him a 7D.....1D less than the swat for that type of shot.

on the flip side the swat will shoot with 6D at distances above, while the military shooter gets his 10D for this......
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refer you to my previous idea of having the Sharpshooter skill be an Initiative booster, to insure that the shooter takes his shot first (and any hit of Wound or above will be enough to prevent the target from performing the act they were intending).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I refer you to my previous idea of having the Sharpshooter skill be an Initiative booster, to insure that the shooter takes his shot first (and any hit of Wound or above will be enough to prevent the target from performing the act they were intending).

I still think there has to be a sufficient amount of skill involved in taking the actual shot (shooting past a friendly without harming him/her) at a potentially actively hostile target. Not only this, but the target must be prevented from taking actions (even actions that are "spastic" that might harm a hostage) so instantaneous destruction of the central nervous system is critical to the police sniper's shooting, not "mere" "rapid incapacitation" (such as would be achieved by stopping the heart or lungs, which at best is a 7-second delay on the incapacitation--so more than one round--despite being "mortally wounded" by the shot).
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

THIS!

It shound quite good for the rescue shot type of scenario.

I really like it.

maybe with marksman skill you can actually reduce difficulty on longer shots or something like this
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

I still think there has to be a sufficient amount of skill involved in taking the actual shot (shooting past a friendly without harming him/her) at a potentially actively hostile target. Not only this, but the target must be prevented from taking actions (even actions that are "spastic" that might harm a hostage) so instantaneous destruction of the central nervous system is critical to the police sniper's shooting, not "mere" "rapid incapacitation" (such as would be achieved by stopping the heart or lungs, which at best is a 7-second delay on the incapacitation--so more than one round--despite being "mortally wounded" by the shot).

So either make the target a "lower Scale" for hit purposes, or provide the target with a degree of Cover provided by the hostage. EDIT 2: By which I mean the Called Shot rules on pg. 91 of 2R&E, which I modified and folded into my Scale System. Say the "kill zone" on a target is in the 4-10 cm size range, and that's +4D Difficulty to hit. But, if you're using my Scale system, it's also+4D to Damage.

Or just go with one of the RoE Accuracy Damage options to allow a kill shot by making a high Blaster roll.

EDIT: After all, if a target is using a hostage as a human shield, and that hostage is providing 75% Cover, that's +4D to Difficulty, plus the possibility of hitting the hostage if you don't roll high enough.

Of course, that brings up the question of how much Protection a living being provides...

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
maybe with marksman skill you can actually reduce difficulty on longer shots or something like this

If it's an Advanced Skill, it will already stack with Blaster, which has the same effect as reducing Difficulty by allowing the character to throw more dice.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essentially, the idea I want would have this result:

As long as he is "aiming," a sniper can add his (A) skill dice to any shot he takes that does not attempt to extend the range of his weapon (including called shots, since the sniper skill is an extension of the blaster skill, but he must still overcome the difficulty added by the called shot). So, a "head shot" per RAW would add +1D to the difficulty, given the size of a head. The brainstem shot would add +4D to the difficulty (or more, perhaps) due to the size of the brainstem.

The sharpshooter would have some way to eliminate or offset such penalties within 100m so that he requires a lower skill level to achieve the same thing. An example would be to expand the called shot difficulties on page 91 of the rulebook so that there are more steps (perhaps going to 1D increments rather than 4D increments). The simple solution would be to say that the sharpshooter ignores a number of penalty dice equal to his sharpshooting skill, while the sniper doesn't.

Here's how it would play out:

Both shooters are aiming (+1D) and have 1D+2 fire control.

Sniper: Blaster 5D, (A) Sniper 1D. Total rolled: 8D+2. A head shot at medium range has a difficulty of moderate (so, 12, for example) +1D (so, let's say, +4 for a total of 16 (this example comes straight out of the rulebook).

Sharpshooter: Blaster 5D (A) Sharpshooting 1D. Total rolled is 3D+2. Difficulty is 12 since the sharpshooter's skill negates the 1D penalty on the difficulty.

Now, let's try a brainstem shot. Sniper needs the same 12 (medium range) plus 4D (lets assume a roll of 13) for a total of 25. Average roll on 8D+2 is 30, he will miss this shot a little less than half the time.

Sharpshooter still rolls 3D+2, but the difficulty adjustment is only 3D (since he ignores the first 1D--per his 1D in the skill--of difficulty adjustments. So let's say the difficulty is 12 + 3D (rolled 10) for a total of 22.

But as the sharpshooter gains skill, he gets better. At 2D he is not only a better shooter, but he also ignores more of the difficulty adjustment. The same shot is now 12 + 2D (instead of 12 + 4D for the sniper or +3D for the previous sharpshooter) for a total difficulty of, let's say 18. He'd roll 4D+2 to make the attack, and it would be at a lower difficulty.

When he gets to 4D in sharpshooting, hitting the brainstem is as easy as hitting a man-sized target, since he completely ignores the 4D difficulty adjustment. That is, the sharpshooter rolling 4D can out shoot the sniper within 100m since the difficulty is only 12, but he's rolling 6D+2, while the sniper still must roll a 25 to hit the target.

I pulled these numbers out of the rulebook. FWIW, I feel that the called shot difficulties are too low to represent "real life" difficulties in shooting.

In order to make the sharpshooting skill more viable, I might say that a sharpshooter does not need to "aim" to call the shot, but if he does aim (taking the 1 round to do so) he gains the additional benefit of ignoring double the penalty dice. So at 1D, he rolls 3D+2 and ignores the first 2D, so his difficulty is, say, 19 in stead of the 22, above, and at 2D in the skill, he's ignoring the full 4D when aiming, so the difficulty is just 12, and he would be rolling 4D+2.

I don't know... I'm not really ready to tackle this concept just yet.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Naaman wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

So either make the target a "lower Scale" for hit purposes, or provide the target with a degree of Cover provided by the hostage. EDIT 2: By which I mean the Called Shot rules on pg. 91 of 2R&E, which I modified and folded into my Scale System. Say the "kill zone" on a target is in the 4-10 cm size range, and that's +4D Difficulty to hit. But, if you're using my Scale system, it's also+4D to Damage.

Or just go with one of the RoE Accuracy Damage options to allow a kill shot by making a high Blaster roll.

EDIT: After all, if a target is using a hostage as a human shield, and that hostage is providing 75% Cover, that's +4D to Difficulty, plus the possibility of hitting the hostage if you don't roll high enough.

Of course, that brings up the question of how much Protection a living being provides...

That's a good call: I've been contemplating how the RAW might express the effects of a head shot as opposed to "just a hit" on target. RoE vaguely addresses this, but that system is more appropriate to describing lucky shot placement rather than deliberately selecting a specific anatomical feature.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
That's a good call: I've been contemplating how the RAW might express the effects of a head shot as opposed to "just a hit" on target. RoE vaguely addresses this, but that system is more appropriate to describing lucky shot placement rather than deliberately selecting a specific anatomical feature.

I'm okay with adding in a 1/3 RoE Modifier once the Scale-modified Attack is made. For example, if a PC is piloting a starfighter strafing a capital ship, all the accuracy in the world does him no good if he has no way to overcome the 6D modifier to the capital ship's Hull, but being able to more precisely choose his target actually gives him a chance to strafe things like weapon emplacements and the like without needing a special rule.

In this case, it goes the other way; if a PC is trying to hit a target, an 8D modifier (4D Scale + 4D Cover) at any range is going to be a challenge, and a player who manages to beat it has earned the damage bonus, AFAIAC.

On a side note, if you're using my system, you could conceivably build weapons below Character Scale, which allow for more precise shots at the cost of reduced damage. Just a thought...

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scout/Sniper Template

DEXTERITY: 4D
Blaster:
(s)Blaster-Sniper Rifle:
Brawling Parry:
Dodge:
Firearms:
(s)Slugthrower-Sniper Rifle:
Grenades
Melee Combat:
Melee Parry:
Run:
Thrown Weapons:

KNOWLEDGE: 2D+2
Intimidation:
Languages:
Scholar-Particle Physics and Balistics:
Survival:
Tactics:
Willpower:

MECHANICAL: 2D
Communications:
Repulsorlift Operation:
Sensors:

PERCEPTION: 3D+2
Command:
Hide:
(s)Camouflage:
Search:
Sneak.

STRENGTH: 3D
Brawling:
Climbing/Jumping:
Lifting:
Stamina:
Swimming:

TECHNICAL: 2D+2
Blaster Repair:
Demolitions:
Firearms Repair:
First Aid:
Security:

Force Sensitive?:
Force Points: 1
Darkside Points:
Character points: 5

Equipment: Blaster Pistol (4D), Sniper Rifle (6D), Knife (Str+2), Camouflage Netting,
500 Credits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: