The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sub-Light Acceleration Module
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Sub-Light Acceleration Module
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Sub-Light Acceleration Module Reply with quote

In the process of writing stats for the TIE Seeker / TIE Phantom, I’ve hit a bit of a mental block on the SLAM. I’ve made several variations of this for stats over the years, but none of them have really been satisfactory. I should preface this by saying that I have no actual experience playing the X-Wing/TIE games to get a feel for how the SLAM actually functioned, so all of my information derives from either Wookieepedia or other home brew stats.

To date, my stat write-ups were either a simple Booster Engine with a limited amount of fuel (basically boosts the Space/Atmosphere from X to Y for a given number of rounds), or what I put into the Missile Boat, which is closer to the SLAM as described, but still doesn’t really work for me.

The main thing bugging me is the power transfer. If the Wookiee and other home brew stats have it right, the SLAM would have to draw 4D of power from the single 4D laser cannon, thus allowing either the SLAM or the laser cannon to function, but not both at once. But what happens if you put a SLAM into a ship with a lot more guns (like the TIE Seeker), or into a ship with lower mass (again, like the Seeker)? The SLAM would then have a much higher power supply, plus a lower budget (on account of not having to push as much mass), with the end result being that not every ship fitted with a SLAM would be restricted from using its laser cannon and the SLAM at the same time.

I’m chewing over some ideas for this, like tying the SLAM’s power requirement to the ship’s Hull dice (ie 1D of Energy Cannon Damage for every 1D of Hull, rounded up), and likely having an additional modifier based on how many SUs the module boosts the base speed (although I haven’t put a lot into the math), but I figured I’d put my thoughts out there to get feedback.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically...I am sort of working on something very similar - just today.

I am working my star ship movement and combat house rules - but the Boost and SLAM type topic - (I am trying to finish up my advanced skill features, but realized I needed to finish my spaceship combat first - so the space ship advanced skills work....sigh...).

What is boost
Basically it is a mechanic that has to charge over time - and then when activated dramatically increases the ships speed in a straight line (there are some exemptions - but let us keep it simple). Usually a few seconds - but it can be exited early (again, some games vary this).

Now, to fill it - I think some games it is just a cool down, but others - you have to put more power into engines to fill it (some times a lot more).

SO...I am not done with this....but here is kind of where I am heading on it...

Ships of different size
Honestly - I would not mess with it.
Since engineers don't waste resources - if it is a smaller ship - it has a smaller engine - think or it as everything was designed to work together.

Kind of like how an extra 1D of power or damage on a capital ship might be 1000x times more jules/watts or whatever than a fighter - for that ship - it is just 1D.

In your example - the seeker - should use the exact same rules as the bigger ship.
Because everything on the seeker was designed to work on the seeker. (that way we don't have scale modifiers for power converters etc.).

My Power Routing.
In my game most ships have enough power to run their "normal" systems. With X extra (auxiliary power whatever).
Decreasing functions to some systems - gives more extra power in the pool.
Then power can be added to some system, to get a temp bonus.

The ratios in and out, I am working on - also what the max "pool" is - and how much some systems can give or take - and still function.
(Can a laser can function at 50% power? it might have a minimum requirement...etc.).

But - the basic will be - there is a pool of "auxiliary" or "available" power - and different systems can use it.....

Charging the boost.
I would say decide how much capacity the boost has (cost whatever) - so like a 4D boost has to collect 4D of power to be used.
Each round putting 1D into it, charges it 1D. (if they had 2D extra power - they could put 2D into it that round, etc.).

Using the Boost
Once the boost is charged - the pilot activates it. I am not 100% sure what I am going to do (my move rules are slightly house ruled) - but if you are using normal, do something like each 1D of boost charge either doubles the speed for an existing move, or gives an extra move (I would make them straight). If it were a 4D charge - it would last for 4 moves etc.
if they turn it off early - the remaining charge stays....(like until the end of the encounter etc. - or you could tie it to a skill roll what ever).

Multiple Weapon Systems.
I would just take what ever rules you have now for siphoning power from multiple (or anything) and use that for your "available" pool that round. Personally - I am thinking that a weapon the scale of the ship it is on - can lose 1D without stopping working. (power minimum concept). And if totally off - I don't know how many D that is - it might only be 2D, just to keep things simple (I might justify it as only so much capacity in power couplers and conduits etc = whatever - we gm's are clever enough to justify just about anything). I would be curious how much power a shut down system gives back to the "pool" in your mechanics - if you are there yet.

Xwing table top game
The Xwing table top game has two (or maybe more) variations on this.
Boost - is just another move that some ships can take (it is a shorter move - but still an extra move).
it consumes a valuable secondary action slot - so it has a high "opportunity ".
SLAM - basically a second move at same speed as the normal move. It has the same opportunit cost as the boost AND the ship can't make attack actions that round.

So...anyway.
Not sure if any of this is useful - but I love how we both seem to tackle a lot of the same topics - as your thoughts are always interesting - even if we might end up with different perspectives and solutions in the end.

Last edited by pakman on Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Two times i've had a "Slam" like booster used in game, it just gave a flat +4 boost to someone's space rating, for one round, then burned out. Regardless if on a small fighter, say a Y-wing, or on a big beast of a freighter like a HT-2400... BUT you could also only burst that speed, in a straight arc, no flying around with it.. Great for pushing major range on enemies (to get out of dodge).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played X-Wing, I just never got far enough into the game to be able to pilot the Missile Boat, which is the only ship in the game equipped with a SLAM. Thus, I have no firsthand knowledge of how the SLAM actually functions in-game.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot SLAM modules were on the missile boat.. Usually in the empire game, i focused on defenders, interceptors or tie advanced...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pakman

Your idea of a limited fuel system that recharges over time turns out to be pretty close to the truth. I asked the Fractalsponge Discord for any info about how the SLAM worked in-game, and got a pretty detailed response. Apparently, rather than completely blocking the firing of guns, it drastically slows the recharge rate. So, for example, if you’d normally be able to get off one 4D Damage shot per round, with the SLAM active, you’d have to let it recharge for 4 rounds (recharging at a rate of 1D per round) to fire another full-power shot. Alternatively, you can keep firing 1D Damage shots once per round because that’s all the power the capacitors have had time to build.

I’m thinking your version could be an interim step, with the booster having its own dedicated capacitor that only works for x# of rounds before the capacitor is drained and has to recharge. The SLAM could be an experimental evolution of that concept, with the idea being to divert power directly from other systems without the need to recharge any capacitors.

Actually, it sounds a lot like the charging rules for the Death Star’s superlaser, which appeals to me since I like making use of existing rules with which GMs and players are already familiar.

pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
@pakman

Your idea of a limited fuel system that recharges over time turns out to be pretty close to the truth. I asked the Fractalsponge Discord for any info about how the SLAM worked in-game, and got a pretty detailed response. Apparently, rather than completely blocking the firing of guns, it drastically slows the recharge rate. So, for example, if you’d normally be able to get off one 4D Damage shot per round, with the SLAM active, you’d have to let it recharge for 4 rounds (recharging at a rate of 1D per round) to fire another full-power shot. Alternatively, you can keep firing 1D Damage shots once per round because that’s all the power the capacitors have had time to build.

I’m thinking your version could be an interim step, with the booster having its own dedicated capacitor that only works for x# of rounds before the capacitor is drained and has to recharge. The SLAM could be an experimental evolution of that concept, with the idea being to divert power directly from other systems without the need to recharge any capacitors.

Actually, it sounds a lot like the charging rules for the Death Star’s superlaser, which appeals to me since I like making use of existing rules with which GMs and players are already familiar.

Good to hear some of it may have been useful - or at least as an input to other ideas.

I am still toying with my mechanics - and as stated before, even if I may not come to the same final output as your work (and the work of others here) - I find the details and thought processes to be invaluable.

I am tying the slam concept (and boost - or ships going very fast etc.) to power routing - and have not landed on a spot yet.... a lot to take in at once.

my end goal is to support the "feel" of star wars (power manipulation) yet simple enough in mechanics to not be too complicated.

so please keep sharing as you develop your work!
Inquisitor1138
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I'd seen a few different writeups over the years & you probably seen them too.

i tried searching YouTube for a demonstration vid, but having no luck so far...
i look forward to seeing what you cook up!
Bounty Hunting is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Game Mastering is a Complicated Profession... Wouldn't you agree?
Count Dooku: Your swords, please. We don't want to make a mess of things in front of the Chancellor.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In broad strokes, based on the above discussion, what I'm thinking for the SLAM is:
    -When the SLAM is active, the laser cannon gets one shot at 4D Strength (its capacitor was already fully charged when the SLAM was activated), but any subsequent shots are reduced to 1D.

-The Laser Cannon's Damage increases at a rate of 1D per round, provided it isn't fired, as the cannon's capacitor is charging at a much lower rate.

-So, the Missile Boat can get off one full power shot every 4 rounds, or can fire lower power shots more often, with Damage dependent on the recharge status of the capacitor.

-I did my version of the Missile Boat with a Heavy Blaster Cannon, so I'm thinking that the SLAM will reduce the Blaster's Damage to 0D (from 3D), but it will still have its 2D Auto-Fire Dice, which can be allocated as normal.

-The gun-heavy TIE Seeker will be much less affected by the SLAM, as it has so much more gun power available to it. Each cannon system (heavy lasers, blaster cannon and ion cannon) will have its Damage reduced by 1D, which regenerates at +1 per round, subject to the same restrictions above. Alternately, the pilot can select a single cannon system to take the full load of the power draw, allowing the other two systems to remain unaffected.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long time coming, but I have finally updated the stats on the TIE Seeker to reflect the inclusion of the SLAM.

EDIT: The Missile Boat stats have now been updated, as well.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That tie seeker looks more like the tie phantom..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That tie seeker looks more like the tie phantom..

Read the description...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: