The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Wealth of a Character?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> The Wealth of a Character? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
A technique I use is to allow a character with high Knowledge skills add bonuses to Perception or other pertinent skills based on how well they roll their Knowledge skill.

For example, say a character with 8D in Alien Species is in a sabacc game with a Twi'lek. He racks his brain thinking of anything about Twi'leks that might help him read his opponent. In game terms, he rolls Alien Species against the appropriate Difficulty for Twi'leks, then receive a +1 pip bonus to Gambling for every 3 points by which he beat the Difficulty (I haven't settled on an exact ratio, since 1 for 3 actually seems to be a little generous). On the other hand, if he fails the roll, he receives a penalty to his Gambling roll, since he is basing his assumption on flawed or false information.

But the end result is that characters who normally bypass Knowledge skills or just use them for roleplaying scenes suddenly have more incentive to look at their Knowledge skills for appropriate bonuses if they really want their Perception rolls to succeed.

When it comes to things like that, I usually just skip the "synergy bonus" intermediary and allow my players to substitute related skills at increased difficulty. Something like this came up in my last game session when my players were mucking around in the Corporate Sector...not one of them had business, but I let them roll planetary systems and culture in substitute.

We call it the "Mage rule" at my table.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:
Exactly. It is up to the GM to incorporate a balance of skills into the game.

That is one reason, i like to scan skill lists of other players, to see what skills are often not taken, or if taken are just low, so as to include something FOR that skill in a module i write. So they learn the value of diversity!

I don't think I've ever had a PC that raised any skills above 8D, and those PCs only got one or two signature skills up to 8D. I'm all in support of well-rounded PCs.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: