The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

character points for $$$
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> character points for $$$ Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this make any sense in story terms? It seems really strange. I'm all for playing however you want, I'm just confused by this proposition. Using one's cp to modify equipment is bizarre as written. This just seems like a total mechanical non-sequitur. Does the trade work in reverse? Would it make sense to buy cp at the same exchange rate? IMO cp are way more valuable than credits. And if it's a question of how to calculate salaries or something of the like, shouldn't the GM just give them a stipend or a cash reward worked into an adventure? Players shouldn't have to choose between cp and $.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:
How does this make any sense in story terms? It seems really strange. I'm all for playing however you want, I'm just confused by this proposition. Using one's cp to modify equipment is bizarre as written. This just seems like a total mechanical non-sequitur. Does the trade work in reverse? Would it make sense to buy cp at the same exchange rate? IMO cp are way more valuable than credits. And if it's a question of how to calculate salaries or something of the like, shouldn't the GM just give them a stipend or a cash reward worked into an adventure? Players shouldn't have to choose between cp and $.

Especially when CP can not only be used to improve rolls in game, but improve skills and attributes in the long term.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: CPs for credits Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:

Right. CPs represent experience gained through adventuring. They may apply to a skill advancement that may make your character able to roll better in general and earn more money, but do not directly give you money. CPs may also be burned to increase a Bargain or Gambling skill roll in play and that helps you earn more money more directly, but it is still not trading CPs for credits.

Not only does the idea of CPs for credits not make any sense to me in story terms, I am vehemently opposed to it anyway. In my mind, PCs gaining credits should never be the ultimate goal of playing Star Wars. Sure, your group may roleplay a smuggler crew just trying to make their way in the universe, but the in-story quest for credits is just a means to end, which is to have adventures to tell fun stories. If the PCs ever do hit it too big, the campaign is over. I don't see that PCs need more ways to gain credits when most of the time it is best for the sake of the story to keep them relatively poor.

And as far as a PC's steady income, that doesn't seem very relevant to the game. Do you guys play games where PCs have a mundane day job they get steady income from, but then they adventure at night? I don't. For Rebel games, my PCs are volunteers not paid employees of the Alliance. They serve out of a moral obligation to support the cause, not to make money. What do they need steady income for? Some occasional Black Market goodies maybe. But my Alliance provides room and board to its volunteers, and the use of equipment, weapons and vehicles when possible, so the PCs don't actually need money in most cases. In my first campaign, one of my players played the Bounty Hunter template that says his pay is 1 credit a day, and the player expected that to be honored, so I paid it (after all, a contract's a contract). For the campaigns where the PCs are self-employed such as smugglers, mercs or bounty hunters, they get paid through adventuring (which also provides CPs), so still, there is no need to calculate a steady income.

I can't see any reason not to keep CPs and cash separate.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: