The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Kenobi - A Star Wars Story
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Kenobi - A Star Wars Story Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oof, I'm not anywhere near experienced enough using the D6 system to comment on how accurate the RAW's statting of ANH Luke would be. In truth that sort of number-crunching bores me, whether we're talking about Star Wars D6, the Old World of Darkness Storytelling system or (especially) the stats used in World of Warcraft (a particularly favorite pastime of mine). The intricacies of all the mathmatics involved in all those rules are beyond me. It's not that I can't do math, it's that math bores me so I don't do it unless I have to. I noticed that thread you linked to, Whill. I never commented there because I never felt competent enough in the D6 rules to give a meaningful opinion one way or the other.

Though I suppose I should make an effort to get up to speed....
MrNexx
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb, Dredwulf, and Sutehp, I just noticed that none of you posted in Nexx's recent thread discussing whether Luke was "a starting character at the beginning of A New Hope" or not. Nexx only asked and never really even answered his own question.

I do that a lot... I throw out a question for discussion that I don't have a clear answer on. IMO, Luke should be viewed as a baseline starting character, simply because the biography we have for him makes it clear that he DOESN'T have a ton of experience. Would one adventure when he was young significantly change that? Not really. But it seems like something that would've come up.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I do that a lot... I throw out a question for discussion that I don't have a clear answer on.

Which is exactly why this forum exists: to ask people for clarifications on stuff related to the Star Wars franchise in general and to SWD6 in particular. Nexx, no one can fault you for doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing on this forum, which is also exactly what the rest of us are supposed to be doing and (ideally) are doing also. Welcome to the club. Cool

MrNexx wrote:
IMO, Luke should be viewed as a baseline starting character, simply because the biography we have for him makes it clear that he DOESN'T have a ton of experience. Would one adventure when he was young significantly change that? Not really. But it seems like something that would've come up.

I saw something on TvTropes that reminds me of this: namely the Can't Catch Up trope on TVT's page on Star Wars D6 found here.

Quote:
Can't Catch Up: The later depictions of canon characters included hundreds of skill points. The average PC started with seven. Adventures tended to be less "blow up the Death Star" and more "blow up the Star Destroyer."

Could it be that Can't Catch Up was being deliberately invoked by WEG when they first wrote up ANH Luke Skywalker's overpowered stats even though it's not even remotely "realistic?"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: