The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Assault On Hoth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Assault On Hoth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Assault On Hoth Reply with quote

Has anybody played this? I'm speaking of the old WEG game. Is it fun?

What about replayability?

I've seen a copy of it here and there, but it's damn expensive.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Assault On Hoth Reply with quote

Assault on Hoth [boxed game]

(First play of) Assault on Hoth

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

I have it. It was a gift given to me in December 1988 by my very first Star Wars player group. I've played it many times. I don't really find it to be particularly exciting but my son loved it for a while.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by replayability. It is a two-player game, Imperials vs. Rebels, and the sequence of unit turns is heavily randomized by an action card deck and it is never the same game twice. You could play it over and over again if you wanted. But there definitely is some strategy involved which can help your chances.

The Imperials win by destroying the shield generator and the Rebels win by getting five transports away. How quickly the Rebel transports get away is also random in the form of an Event Deck. The units have a weapons die code used for attacking and a strength code for resisting. The to-hit resolution is a success-based system (each die has a 33% chance of success) that takes away dice rolled for hex distance, and the strength rating of the unit is target number of successes. Most items being hit are destroyed, except for AT-ATs and snowspeeders in which you roll 2D and refer at a chart for different systems being damaged. The Rebel player gets to choose one speeder to be Luke secretly by putting his card under one of the speeders, and he gets 10 Force Points that can do a few different things in the game. The Rebel player doesn't have to reveal which speeder is Luke until the first time using a Force Point.

Depending on the luck of the cards and dice, the game can sometimes go on for a couple hours.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Assault On Hoth Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

I have it. It was a gift given to me in December 1988 by my very first Star Wars player group. I've played it many times. I don't really find it to be particularly exciting but my son loved it for a while.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by replayability. It is a two-player game, Imperials vs. Rebels, and the sequence of unit turns is heavily randomized by an action card deck and it is never the same game twice. You could play it over and over again if you wanted. But there definitely is some strategy involved which can help your chances.

The Imperials win by destroying the shield generator and the Rebels win by getting five transports away. How quickly the Rebel transports get away is also random in the form of an Event Deck. The units have a weapons die code used for attacking and a strength code for resisting. The to-hit resolution is a success-based system (each die has a 33% chance of success) that takes away dice rolled for hex distance, and the strength rating of the unit is target number of successes. Most items being hit are destroyed, except for AT-ATs and snowspeeders in which you roll 2D and refer at a chart for different systems being damaged. The Rebel player gets to choose one speeder to be Luke secretly by putting his card under one of the speeders, and he gets 10 Force Points that can do a few different things in the game. The Rebel player doesn't have to reveal which speeder is Luke until the first time using a Force Point.

Depending on the luck of the cards and dice, the game can sometimes go on for a couple hours.

I always ignored these games when they were out. I saw them, but I didn't think they'd add to my RPGing.

I wish I'd gotten them now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: