The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Return of the Jedi?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Return of the Jedi?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MrNexx
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 25 Mar 2016
Posts: 1214
Location: Houston

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Return of the Jedi? Reply with quote

Does Return of the Jedi Actually Suck?

Not my title, but a query from the following Vice article

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qvnjkm/does-return-of-the-jedi-actually-suck
_________________
"I’m telling you, you’ll never have a deeper sleep than curled up in a Wookie’s lap."
http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Falconer
Commander
Commander


Joined: 08 Dec 2014
Posts: 272

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a harder time with Jedi because I would tend to binge watch in the following fashion:

Night 1: Star Wars
Night 2: Empire + Jedi

This is problematic because Jedi is, well, noticeably sloppier than Empire. I mean the script, the pacing, the acting, the stakes. Therefore, there has to be space between them.

Our recent rewatch was spread over a month—not intentionally, but it worked out:

1. Ewoks
2. Ewoks 2
3. Star Wars
4. Empire
5. Jedi (Tatooine)
6. Jedi (Endor)

And, yes, there were highs and lows, but nothing super jarring or unlikable. The final episode had some eyeroll-worthy moments but overall has a lot going for it. Luke and the Emperor are great. Gotta love Lando/Ackbar/Wedge in the space battle. We don’t hate the Ewoks, and especially after watching their standalones so recently it’s like coming home. The biggest disappointments are that Han never gets to do anything cool, and Vader never gets to do anything evil.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Site Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4384
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Return of the Jedi? Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Not my title, but a query from the following Vice article

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qvnjkm/does-return-of-the-jedi-actually-suck

I appreciate that the conclusion is that RotJ does not suck and his defense of it, but I don't care for his bashy language for other films.

Quote:
So, Solo: A Star Wars Story came out this weekend and it’s arguably the first financial failure in the history of the Star Wars films.

Yes, the film's gross for the opening weekend came in under projection, but the movie only came out less than a week ago. It is way to soon to call it "the first financial failure in the history of Star Wars films". Adding "arguably" still doesn't make the sentence at all true for a movie out a few days ago. Dramatically negative language.

Quote:
Yes, the prequels sucked

Rolling Eyes

Quote:
But it’s easy to forget the film has some pretty clunky dialogue and a whiny Luke Skywalker, reminiscent of Anakin in the prequels.

Um, I'm not sure this guy knows that the prequels didn't actually come out before ANH. From out-of-universe critical perspective, Anakin's whininess is reminiscent of Luke.

And I seriously question the author's perspective because he saw TESB before seeing the original Star Wars film. Who does that? NO viewing order says to do that!
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)


Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 4270

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Return of the Jedi? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:


And I seriously question the author's perspective because he saw TESB before seeing the original Star Wars film. Who does that? NO viewing order says to do that!


I did! I mean, that had a lot to do with being only 1 when the first movie came out, but 4 when the second one came out. My dad took me to ESB without either of us having seen ANH. I still fell in love and found materials to fill in the details until I could see ANH for myself on a free week of HBO.

I fell in love again. Smile
_________________
__________________________________
Before we take any of this too seriously, just remember that in the middle episode a little rubber puppet moves a spaceship with his mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mamatried
Captain
Captain


Joined: 16 Dec 2017
Posts: 535
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am peculiar, but I general like it if it is Star Wars, or in the Star Wars Universe.

I even like Ewoks and those movies, the silly old cartoons too.

I do however like some better than others
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 01 Nov 2016
Posts: 1187
Location: Washington, DC (AKA Inside the Beltway)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning Solo, when I went to see it opening night, I was like "huh, that's weird" when I didn't see any line at the ticket booth. And I had arrived about 45 minutes before the movie started even though I preordered my ticket 3 weeks ahead of time, thinking that there was going to be a huge line to get inside the theatre.

When I went inside and saw that the theatre was almost empty, I was like "where is everybody? This is opening night!" This struck me as especially weird because I remember reading somewhere (I think it was the Washington Post) that preorder sales of Solo were even bigger than for Black Panther.

When I read this article from the Washington Post, I started to get really nervous for Star Wars' future.

When I just read Whill's assertation that it's too early to call Solo "Star Wars' greatest financial failure" I felt a little better, but it's still a bit disheartening to see Solo not do as well as I would have liked.
_________________
Sutehp's RPG Goodies
Only some of it is for D6 Star Wars.
Just repurchased the X-Wing and Tie Fighter flight sim games. I forgot how much I missed them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Site Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4384
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Return of the Jedi? Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Whill wrote:
And I seriously question the author's perspective because he saw TESB before seeing the original Star Wars film. Who does that? NO viewing order says to do that!

I did! I mean, that had a lot to do with being only 1 when the first movie came out, but 4 when the second one came out. My dad took me to ESB without either of us having seen ANH. I still fell in love and found materials to fill in the details until I could see ANH for myself on a free week of HBO.

I fell in love again. Smile

I knew that comment would out some Empire-first weirdos!

Wink
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Site Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4384
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Concerning Solo, when I went to see it opening night, I was like "huh, that's weird" when I didn't see any line at the ticket booth. And I had arrived about 45 minutes before the movie started even though I preordered my ticket 3 weeks ahead of time, thinking that there was going to be a huge line to get inside the theatre.

When I went inside and saw that the theatre was almost empty, I was like "where is everybody? This is opening night!" This struck me as especially weird because I remember reading somewhere (I think it was the Washington Post) that preorder sales of Solo were even bigger than for Black Panther.

I live in the "movie theater district" of Columbus (three many-screen movie theaters within 5 miles of each other). The furthest from me of those three (my theater of choice) and the closest theater both sold out of Solo Thursday premiere almost instantly. So I went to the middle theater which had been second-run until they renovated last year and became first run and I got good seat tickets. When I was there, I was a bit surprised that most of the first two rows were empty (those seats suck), and there were a few open seats throughout. I just thought it was because this theater lost a lot of their regular customers when they upgraded to first run and raised their ticket prices combined with the fact that a lot of people may still not even know they are first run now so didn't even look for tickets there. The seats are just as comfortable and the prices are a little less than the other theaters, so I think I may be going there more often.

But alas, sales are under expectation. If your theater is usually a lot busier for blockbuster movies, then that probably is a sign of Solo's lesser success.

Sutehp wrote:
When I read this article from the Washington Post, I started to get really nervous for Star Wars' future.
Quote:
‘Star Wars’ is faltering because it is obsessed with its past

I couldn't get past the title of the article. It's quite absurd. Disney started out with the future of the classic trilogy, and since then it has been alternating sequel trilogy films with new one-off films that are prequels to the classic trilogy. So Disney is currently at 50/50, with the next film another sequel trilogy film. How is that "obsessed with the past"? And looking forward, there is the Obi-Wan film in development, and a Boba Fett film that may actually be a one-off classic sequel (I think the only way it would work dramatically is if it shows him surviving the Sarlaac).

But we have two entire series of Star Wars films in development that will be completely unrelated to the all the films so far, a Rian Johnson trilogy and another series with an unknown of films (I'm thinking more than three). These two-bit article authors seem "obsessed" with sensational titles.

Sutehp wrote:
When I just read Whill's assertation that it's too early to call Solo "Star Wars' greatest financial failure" I felt a little better, but it's still a bit disheartening to see Solo not do as well as I would have liked.

It is disappointing to hear about so many people choosing not to see a good film based on critical or other fan reviews and a movie's success suffering for it. In this day and age so many people can't decide for themselves because other opinions are so easily accessible on the internet. Unfortunately I don't think the film ever truly recovered from the perception of 'production in trouble' when they fired the original directors, despite hiring a world-class professional to replace them.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 01 Nov 2016
Posts: 1187
Location: Washington, DC (AKA Inside the Beltway)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
cheshire wrote:
Whill wrote:
And I seriously question the author's perspective because he saw TESB before seeing the original Star Wars film. Who does that? NO viewing order says to do that!

I did! I mean, that had a lot to do with being only 1 when the first movie came out, but 4 when the second one came out. My dad took me to ESB without either of us having seen ANH. I still fell in love and found materials to fill in the details until I could see ANH for myself on a free week of HBO.

I fell in love again. Smile

I knew that comment would out some Empire-first weirdos!

Wink


I had no idea that Empire-first weirdos even existed, never mind that we had such deviants among us here at the Pit. Shocked

Whill wrote:
It is disappointing to hear about so many people choosing not to see a good film based on critical or other fan reviews and a movie's success suffering for it. In this day and age so many people can't decide for themselves because other opinions are so easily accessible on the internet. Unfortunately I don't think the film ever truly recovered from the perception of 'production in trouble' when they fired the original directors, despite hiring a world-class professional to replace them.


Holy Jeebus, I was relieved to hear about those original directors getting fired after hearing that they wanted to make Solo a friggin' comedy in the screwball style of Ace Ventura, of all things. I was even further relieved to hear about Ron Howard taking over because (even though I'm not very familiar with most of his work, excepting stuff like Apollo 13) he's a highly regarded director. Having top tier talent like Donald Glover and Emilia Clarke was just icing on the cake.

But that's Hollywood sometimes, I guess. Sometimes even with top tier talent working on it, a film just might not appeal to mass audiences for one reason or another.
_________________
Sutehp's RPG Goodies
Only some of it is for D6 Star Wars.
Just repurchased the X-Wing and Tie Fighter flight sim games. I forgot how much I missed them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TauntaunScout
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 20 Apr 2015
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I went to see Solo despite bad reviews. I vaguely knew it was in production but somehow missed all news until some time in May when I saw a trailer and it ended with the info that the film would be out like, next Friday. So I was blindsided by this one. Then the negative commentary started rolling in...

Anyways the Vice columnist doesn't impress me much. Although to be honest, I have long maintained that ROTJ isn't a very good movie. It doesn't suck, it's just "ok". The trouble is, it's constantly compared to the other two original Star Wars films. Those are really hard films to be compared to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Site Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4384
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I have long maintained that ROTJ isn't a very good movie. It doesn't suck, it's just "ok". The trouble is, it's constantly compared to the other two original Star Wars films. Those are really hard films to be compared to.

I love TESB, but I'm one of those "wacky" first gen Star Wars fans who actually enjoys RotJ even more. But the other middle trilogy episodes rank low for me too so it's definitely nothing against TESB (It is my fave middle episode of the three). RotJ is epic!
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TauntaunScout
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 20 Apr 2015
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say this for it. The criticisms normally leveled against ROTJ are unfair and inaccurate. It's also still better than most action movies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0