The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Darkstryder & Timbra Ott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Darkstryder & Timbra Ott
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belshazzar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Darkstryder & Timbra Ott Reply with quote

Hi guys. My players are about to set to Timbra Ott. It's the beginning of the "KATHOL OUTBACK". Now, Timbra Ott has been roughly outlined BUT no adventure there... do you have any Idea what can I inflict to my players?

See you
mdlake
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell those of us who don't own the book something about Timbra Ott? Hard to generate adventure seeds in a vacuum.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timbra_Ott
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Darkstryder & Timbra Ott Reply with quote

belshazzar wrote:
Hi guys. My players are about to set to Timbra Ott. It's the beginning of the "KATHOL OUTBACK". Now, Timbra Ott has been roughly outlined BUT no adventure there... do you have any Idea what can I inflict to my players?

See you

Oh.... (rubs hands together).... lets see....

Lots of despicable people to play with. These are prisoners, remember?
How about...
A ruthless killer?
A really nice guy who helps them out- but turns out to be a con man (and takes off with money/ship/gear/etc)?
An ambitious charismatic sociopath who wants to rule the planet (and eventually the galaxy) at any cost?
A clinically insane being who thinks he's an important diplomat (maybe the pc's believe him....)
A wrongly accused being bent on proving his innocence.
mdlake
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I envision the planet not being nearly so respectable as the residents have persuaded themselves it must be. Two generations isn't much time to learn self-governance in the absence of upstanding role models.

Suppose, then, that the reality of Timbra Ott doesn't match its tourist brochures. Either...

(A) Timbra Ott is a brutal police state--really brutal. A legacy of the only way the warlords who rose to the top of the heap could establish any kind of order. Visitors to the planet are allowed only to travel in well-kept pockets of prosperity and order. Anyone venturing into the sprawling slums is a threat to the planet's prestige abroad and a threat to stability at home, proof that the residents don't live nearly so well as the government tells them they do. Maybe all the "citizens" live in the preserves, and the bulk of the population has no official standing. (Combine "Escape From New York" with some of the less flattering reports out of North Korea, or out of China before it began polishing its friendly neighbor image.) Of course, the PCs' business lies outside these tourist preserves. Or...

(B) Timbra Ott is a kind of totalitarian anarchy: you're free to do whatever you like, so long as it doesn't upset the powers that be. The powers that be prefer to rule with a light hand on general principle, selling themselves as preservers of economic opportunity, but can strike with frightening ferocity when directly threatened. (Imagine a libertarian paradise, minus the perfectly enlightened self-interest the fantasy relies on. Nexus from the Exalted system or Al Amarja from OtE are good templates.) The PCs are free to use and abuse the population, and equally open to be preyed upon; the police aren't there to serve and protect anyone but the powers that be, by providing enough order to keep the economy running. Security comes from a network of personal loyalties and the threat of revenge from such figurative clans. Some clans are more capable of defending their members than others.

The system is probably unstable; in the absence of a robust system of accountability, how long can laissez-faire survive? Maybe the PCs arrive just in time for a wannabe tyrant to make his move. They can plunge into putting the least horrible candidate (they're all horrible) on the figurative throne, or they can try to keep their head down, get the job done, and get out before their ship is seized for the duration. All this in a suddenly factionalized and terrified populace, certain they can't trust anyone they don't know personally. Armed gangs administer impromptu and highly arbitrary loyalty tests. The guy the PCs seek has gone into hiding until the dust settles, complicating the mission.

More ideas:

The planet's ruler, under increasing pressure from ambitious regional governors with an eye to the purple, launches a war on Gandle Ott, hoping to distract them with the promise of spoils. PCs discover the war preparations and need to help Gandle Ott. At a minimum, they can carry warning while being pursued by security forces; on an epic scale, they can be tasked with defending the agricultural world with the shoestring garrison left behind by Sarne.

Alternately, the PCs could be invited into a plot to topple the current leader by one of those ambitious underlings. Being off-worlders, they can offer something no native can: deniability, relative anonymity, the trustworthiness of someone with no personal stake beyond money... Double- and triple-crosses abound.

[/i]
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow and people say i have a conspiratorial mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: