The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Whats the point in Lightsaber damage mods..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Whats the point in Lightsaber damage mods.. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Save yourself here, but put yourself at a disadvantage. Might be something to keep in mind.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Interesting. Save yourself here, but put yourself at a disadvantage. Might be something to keep in mind.

It stemmed from the following ideas:

1) Some RPGs use a more dynamic swordplay system. Rather than trying for fancy maneuver (with a penalty that tends to discourage using them), they have characters roll first and pick a maneuver after the roll. As a result, fancy swordplay happens since it is a "freebie" and doesn't have any penalties.
In SW that could lead to serious hits in LS duels only on a very good attack vs/ parry roll, with lesser results meaning non-striking advantages.

2) With mishaps "by the book" what happens is that the GM decides to apply a mishap or take off the two dice (the wild die and the highest). That is basically deciding between a mishap or about a 6-7 point penalty.

So I just combined 1 with 2 to get the "reverse mishap" idea.

I'm thinking that this might work out for multiple parries too. My idea is that since we already know what the parry roll is, the defender opts to do this after the attack roll, and it only applies to one attack. That way a character could get beaten about fairly severely by taking a more severe mishap to keep parrying when he is overmatched, until he eventually is lying helpless on the ground.

At least that is the theory.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you may find these variant D6 sword-fighting rules useful. This was created by Peter Schweighofer, WEG Star Wars RPG author extraordinaire. I haven't personally tried them yet, but they look easy. If anyone uses them, please let us know how it goes!

http://www.astro.uu.nl/~krijger/BI/FB/Blades.pdf
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Some of you may find these variant D6 sword-fighting rules useful. This was created by Peter Schweighofer, WEG Star Wars RPG author extraordinaire. I haven't personally tried them yet, but they look easy. If anyone uses them, please let us know how it goes!

Actully Im looking at this system and are trying to merge it with the Lightsaber styles maneuvers.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I've used them. The big problem we had with them in play was that performing a trick was more difficult that simply wounding an opponent, so no one bothered to do so. In most situation the PCs would rather hit the opponent and end the fighting then try a trick, and still be a risk next turn, or have other characters suffer while they are playing around.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Whill wrote:

I've used them. The big problem we had with them in play was that performing a trick was more difficult that simply wounding an opponent, so no one bothered to do so. In most situation the PCs would rather hit the opponent and end the fighting then try a trick, and still be a risk next turn, or have other characters suffer while they are playing around.

Thats why Im incorporating different maneuvers/techniques into the mix. They wont make things more difficult, but will trade advantages vs drawbacks. Also there will be some kind of 'meta game' involved in the sense that if Player 1 makes Maneuver A (For example 'Leaping Charnge', he will get one result if the Opponent takes maneuver B (example 'Stoic Defence') and another if he choses C ('Riposte').
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

Thats why Im incorporating different maneuvers/techniques into the mix. They wont make things more difficult, but will trade advantages vs drawbacks. Also there will be some kind of 'meta game' involved in the sense that if Player 1 makes Maneuver A (For example 'Leaping Charnge', he will get one result if the Opponent takes maneuver B (example 'Stoic Defence') and another if he choses C ('Riposte').

You have the same problem. Players are not going to try to do a cool maneuver if they can just hit and do considerable damage instead.

To make maneuvers appealing you either need to makes them easier than a simple attack, or make them better than a simple attack in some way.

For example, using the "dueling Blades" idea, make a normal hit an hit without extra damage, and lower a trick to the same difficulty. A full damage hit (+Control) is now as hard to pull off as the old Trick.

Now characters can choose between a weak hit or a trick that might feedd into a better hit next turn. Assuming that the tricks have some game benifits.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

You have the same problem. Players are not going to try to do a cool maneuver if they can just hit and do considerable damage instead.

To make maneuvers appealing you either need to makes them easier than a simple attack, or make them better than a simple attack in some way.

For example, using the "dueling Blades" idea, make a normal hit an hit without extra damage, and lower a trick to the same difficulty. A full damage hit (+Control) is now as hard to pull off as the old Trick.

Now characters can choose between a weak hit or a trick that might feedd into a better hit next turn. Assuming that the tricks have some game benifits.

Or make the 'just hit' option worse by making it easier to defend against..

But I know my players. If I put maneuvers on the table that are not 'worse' than 'just striking' they will use them even if they do not involve a super bonus..

Regarding duelling blades, yes Im looking into incorporating those rules with techniques..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: