The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Influence of the Dark Side...and how you fall..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> The Influence of the Dark Side...and how you fall.. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, something like this list could be done on a multi-sided die. Personally I don't see adding 4D together to get the result silly, but if you just want to quickly find a result you could roll a 20 sided die as there are twenty traits on this list.

Wanted Poster
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather roll 4d6 then roll any d20s. Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
Well, something like this list could be done on a multi-sided die. Personally I don't see adding 4D together to get the result silly, but if you just want to quickly find a result you could roll a 20 sided die as there are twenty traits on this list.

The reason why its 'silly' (perhaps a strong word) is that you will almost never get the high and low results. What is so special with 'Arrogant' that you should almost never roll it? The same can be said to a lesser degree about Power-Hungry, shouldnt that be quite common when it comes to the dark side? Quick to anger? Well, you see my point.

Better add a few results (or add 'GM chooses' or 'Player chooses') and divide the table in four (drop to and divide in three also works).
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want certain results to occur more often and others less you can rearrange the chart.

Wanted Poster
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
If you want certain results to occur more often and others less you can rearrange the chart.

But its still a fact that most of the results are not uncommon characteristics of a Dark Sider. So no matter how you rearrange it, you will end up with some really 'rare' results.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Influence of the Dark Side...and how you fall.. Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

UPDATE:
I have read and been inspired by Cunning Kindreds force rules (or a small part of them anyway as they are quite extensive). The idea is that how many DSPs you can accumulate before turning differs from person to person depending on the characters strength of character (or lack of character).

Will of the Dark Side (WDS)
-From the point the character has at least 1 DSP the Dark Side will try to influence the characters behaviour. This will at first small things, like making the character use unneccesary force and cause pain. As the DSPs increase the urges will be stronger and will change to real atrocities or calling on the Dark Side. The actions a character might be forced to take when succumbing to the Will of the Dark Side may gain the character a DSP.
The mechanic works like an opposed test against the resisting characters Willpower or Control. The WDS is normally equal to the current number of DSPs a character have plus a number of situational dice, usually from 1D to 3D. These situational dice depends on the circumstances of the temptation. A character with DSPs who act in anger might have a 1D situational die. A character facing certain death which might be avoided by calling on the dark side might face 2D in situational dice. These dice might combine for a larger number of total dice. A character being goaded by a Dark Side character which at the same time threatens to kill the characters family/friends might face 3D in situational dice.

Tainted by the Dark Side
If a character has equal or more DSP:s than the number or Dice in either his Knowledge or his Perception, whichever is lower, he is ’tainted by the Dark Side’ and is dangerously close to falling to the Dark Side. After that, each time the character gets a DSP he must Resist the Fall or turn. If the Character ever gets an equal or higher number of DSPs than the number of dice in his Knowledge and Perception added together he turns automatically.

Resist the Fall
Willpower/Control Difficulty: Easy, opposed by the Will of the Dark Side (the GM rolls those characteristics to oppose you). If the character uses Control to Resist the Fall he cannot use any DSP bonus but must also lower his Control by a number of dice equal to the number or DSPs the character has. This is due to the efforts of not using the Dark Side, similar to the rule that raises the difficulty number one level when not using the Dark Side bonus when using Force Skills.
Capsule: this is used whenever a Tainted character gains a dark side point to avoid falling to the dark side
If you successfully use this technique you do not become a Dark Side character. If you ever have a Dark Side score equal to or higher than the total of your Perception and Knowledge attributes added together you automatically fail to use this technique and become a dark side character.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:

In my opinion it's the other way around. It's way to easy getting dsp.

How so random? Looking at all the threads on this site for 'would this be a DSP or not" i see quite a few instances where something SHOULD be giving a DSP, but many others say "No, look at the intent"..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how has this worked out for you in gameplay?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
So how has this worked out for you in gameplay?

It worked really well actually.
The result is that it keeps the character on the edge to keep from triggering WOD.
Its easier as a GM to call for a test, which if failed often results in actions that gives the character a DSP, than to give out a DSP directly.

But the most fun part is the feeling of gradually losing control instead of just turning.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had any players deliberately push the 'envelope' of what would get them a DSP?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Have you had any players deliberately push the 'envelope' of what would get them a DSP?

I was wondering that, myself.

I think the only thing I would do differently is not allow the character to use Control, and make it strictly a Willpower roll.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that makes it easir to resist as willpower is a normal skill while control (if you have no teacher) is costlier.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under those circumstances, you would be correct. However, what it also does is force them to spend CP improving either Willpower or Control, as opposed to throwing all their CP into a single skill that allows them to do both.

And really, if a Jedi can use either Willpower or Control, why would they bother improving Willpower at all? If Control gives them access to the various Control powers and the ability to resist the call of the Dark Side, why put CP into Willpower? Even if you are learning without a teacher at double CP cost, you are expending the same number of CPs as you would improving both Control (with a teacher) and Willpower at the same time.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, as willpower is cheaper to raise, players still pump CPs into wp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: