The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Big List of Specializations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Big List of Specializations Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Big List of Specializations Reply with quote

Hi all I've been looking to offer some new skill specializations into my campaign, but don't want to abuse the system by inadvertantly introducing and uber or useless skills. So does anybody have any compilations of non official skill specializations I could compare to my ideas to see how any of them stack up against the greater SWD6 community view of things.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since a specialization is just a fragment of a parent skill that improves easier, I can't really think of a way to abuse them. You could have useless ones, but it's already up to your players to decide not to improve useless skills, so why worry?

Complete Starship Construction System
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Since a specialization is just a fragment of a parent skill that improves easier, I can't really think of a way to abuse them.

As long as you dont go the RAW way of having 'Martial Arts' as a specialization of Brawling... Laughing
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
Since a specialization is just a fragment of a parent skill that improves easier, I can't really think of a way to abuse them.

As long as you dont go the RAW way of having 'Martial Arts' as a specialization of Brawling... Laughing

Touche.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are ways to abuse skill specializations. Dodge: energy weapons or even Dodge: blasters, for example. Sure, an evil GM might start shooting everything else at the PC to negate the advantage, but otherwise most combat encounters in most SW out there are going to be someone shooting a blaster at the PC. So in my mind, the one-half skill points cost (or the even lower one-third skill dice during character creation) is just to cheap for the great advantage gained from the specialization.

I view the Dodge skill as partially instinctive ability, and to simplify things I just do not allow for any specializations of that skill. It is already one of the most vital skills for a PC as it is.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
There are ways to abuse skill specializations. Dodge: energy weapons or even Dodge: blasters, for example. Sure, an evil GM might start shooting everything else at the PC to negate the advantage, but otherwise most combat encounters in most SW out there are going to be someone shooting a blaster at the PC. So in my mind, the one-half skill points cost (or the even lower one-third skill dice during character creation) is just to cheap for the great advantage gained from the specialization.

I view the Dodge skill as partially instinctive ability, and to simplify things I just do not allow for any specializations of that skill. It is already one of the most vital skills for a PC as it is.

Hehe, yeah the (lack of) logic of a 'dodge blasters' specialization is mind boggling..

I have removed specializations alltogether in my games. I want characters to have broad skills (Starfighters and Space Transports use the same skill too, as do Droid Prog/Rep, as per 1st ed).

If someone had a really good idea for being specialized, and it tied in great with the character in some important way Id borrow some ideas from Shadowrun.

The cost of advancing a specialization is 2 CPs lower than the normal cost, with a minimum cost of 1 CP per pip. Raising 'Heavy Blaster' from 6D to 6D+1 costs 4 CPs, instead of the 3 CPs the RAW specialization would. This means that the cost for specializations at 3D is actually lower, but at 4D and 5D equal and above that more expensive. What this rule really does is stop those insane skill levels (10-12D) from being so easy within reach.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

That's a fair point. I run in a section of space where slugthrowers are at least as common as blasters, and that specialization would get you killed, so I didn't really think about it. Since we're in house rules may I propose that dodge specializations be in ranges, not type of attack?

Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a large range of Advanced and Specialized skills over the years. More often than not, their usefulness depends on the style of campaign you are playing.

For me, the best way to approach the issue has always been to let my players come up with their own specializations. When I player wants a specialization, they tell me about it and tell me what they expect to gain from the new specialization. If I agree, then they are allowed to add the new specialization.

Dodge specializations. I've never had to deal with specializations to dodge, but I like the idea of doing it by ranges instead of by weapon types.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I have seen several pc;s gakk the bullet cause of even just standard stuff coming their way cause they went with dodge:energy.. such as imps and their grenades!..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't have any big concerns about Dodge specializations, e.g. blasters or projectiles, from a play balance perspective - I don't really understand how one would specialize in energy weapons but not projectiles (or vice versa). Conceptually it just doesn't make sense to me.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
While I don't have any big concerns about Dodge specializations, e.g. blasters or projectiles, from a play balance perspective - I don't really understand how one would specialize in energy weapons but not projectiles (or vice versa). Conceptually it just doesn't make sense to me.
I suppose if you were good at getting out of the way of brightly colored objects, but didn't notice the dull ones... I never had that settled to my satisfaction either.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of it imo is that unlike bullets (which can be silenced, so you don't know where they are coming from), other than with the Zerrol nightstinger, no blaster bolts are unseeable...
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Part of it imo is that unlike bullets (which can be silenced, so you don't know where they are coming from), other than with the Zerrol nightstinger, no blaster bolts are unseeable...
But they don't actually move slow enough to move out of the way. Still not 'seeing' it. Wink
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:
But they don't actually move slow enough to move out of the way. Still not 'seeing' it. Wink

Unless you have the Bullet Time™ ability... Twisted Evil You're right though, you're dodging someone pointing a gun at you, not reacting to the path of the bolt/projectile. Although if someone is hammering away at your one position or tracking a repeating weapon towards you, I guess you could argue the point that you were using visual cues other than from the shooter to dodge the next shot(s).

The only way I would let a player take a specialization in Dodge is if there was already a house rule combining Dodge and Brawling Parry (which is used to evade any and all Brawling or Melee Weapons attacks if you're unarmed) into one skill. It would be impractical to specialize such a skill, but if a character was set on it I'd allow the following specializations: Ranged Weapons, Melee Weapons, Brawling.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Since C seems to love referencing the films, we do see those being at least somewhat slow enough to react to in the films...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: